GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What should I do service wise?

Justgotohm

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2015 GTI SE SP 6sp M
I have 84000 miles on my MT GTI, it’s Stage 3. My question is what should I do maintenance related at this mileage? I have been diligent with oil changes, had the Haldex serviced at 57000 miles along with a new clutch and turbo.
I’m reaching out to see if there are any minor or undocumented things I should service or adjust from experience and not just oem schedules.

launchd

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2023 M3LR, 2021 A7
84,000 miles calls for....

....had it written down somewhere.... on a post-it maybe?

oh no, here it is... .txt file on the computer titled "what to do at 84,000 miles"....

send it.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I have 84000 miles on my MT GTI, it’s Stage 3. My question is what should I do maintenance related at this mileage? I have been diligent with oil changes, had the Haldex serviced at 57000 miles along with a new clutch and turbo.
I’m reaching out to see if there are any minor or undocumented things I should service or adjust from experience and not just oem schedules.
Tell us everything you have done and at what mileage then we can be helpful.

launchd

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2023 M3LR, 2021 A7
Man, you guys are no fun.

OP - serious answer...

Mounts (BFI engine/transmission & Powerflex hybrid lower dogbone + OEM upper) as your stock mounts are likely shot, spark plugs (every 10-15k), coil packs (if you never replaced them at this point), coolant flush (unless you upgraded your intercooler recently), cabin (pollen) filter, air (intake) filter, check condition of your suspension (shocks, struts, springs, ball joints, end links and control arm bushings) and check your serpentine belt.

Common problems to be aware of... failed thermostat housing/waterpump (check fluid levels often/look for leaks), stretched timing chain, high oil consumption (check fluid levels often) and carbon deposit inside ports and on intake valves (carbon cleaning).

I would suggest a carbon cleaning if you haven't done one yet.

Hambone

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2020 TR GTI SE
The limited slip differential shares a lot in common with the haldex on the R, so it tends to be called that. Service on it is even the same, I hear.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
How do you have haldex?

Is that what it's referred to as? First time I hear that.

The limited slip differential shares a lot in common with the haldex on the R, so it tends to be called that. Service on it is even the same, I hear.

The OP does have a "Haldex" unit...but its modified from the AWD version...& its NOT a Limited Slip Differential.....as that describes a mechanical device in the gearbox case which can "sense torque" via friction...

All cars with the VAQ/FDL unit have a basic "open" type differential in the gearbox case....the VAQ unit relies on the ABS wheel speed sensors telling it what the wheels are doing...pull the fuse on the ABS..no VAQ.....can't do that on a LSD..as no electrics...

To educate you lot further here is a technical thesis I wrote a few years back on the VAQ unit......the first 7 posts..

How the VW Golf GTI Performance Pack (PP) “Front Differential Lock” (VAQ) works. | GOLFMK7 - VW GTI MKVII Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVII Forum

Last edited: