GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What number of bubbles if any are acceptable with a tint job?

chillax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI SE plaid
I posted something similar to this in another thread but it doesn't seem to be getting much attention.

How long does it take for left over air bubbles to completely go away if ever and what about dust bubbles? I drove 45 minutes to a well respected tint shop and they used 3M Color Stable. It's been a week and a half and I still have quite a few tiny bubbles in areas like the back quarter windows. Unfortunately I see some of them are caused by trapped dirt or dust. The weather has been overcast and humid here for the majority of the time but there were a few very warm sunny days. The tinter claimed beforehand if I left my car out on nice days the film would cure in no time. I called back to ask for advice and the manager basically told me if I had them redone there may be just as many bubbles next time or perhaps even more. I sense he would refuse to redo them on his dollar. I didn't know much about tinting before I went but according to what I've read online a good tint shop should be able to produce a bubble free tint job. I am starting to wonder if I should attempt a charge back on my credit card (assuming he has the same response if I complain again) and have them redone someplace else. Thanks.

MDLBC

Ready to race!
A week and a half is way more than necessary to have bubbles dissipate. I have never had an issue asking a shop to redo a window with excessive or large bubbles. If they don’t fix it then ask for a refund, and if they
refuse, nicely point out you will leave multiple negative reviews online with photos of their work.

chillax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI SE plaid
Did you park in the sun for a couple days?
Did they tell you to come back if issues?
They can pop some and then set car in sun and watch.
If not happy ask them to redo that window.

The manager I spoke with over the phone made it sound like if I had a window or two redone the exact same thing may happen so that really annoyed me and like I said I felt he may refuse.

I have intentionally left my car in the sun for multiple days. I will go ahead and request they redo at least the back quarter windows. I think the front and large passenger windows look okay. The hatch window though is similar to the quarter windows.

For comparisons sake I looked at a neighbors SUV with the front windows tinted and she has some bubbles at the bottom of each however they don't appear to have dust trapped in them like mine. I'm guessing most people never look close enough to notice.

This place does tint work on some pretty amazing cars, it wouldn't surprise me if they just gave my Golf a fast slop job and hoped since I live far away I wouldn't bother them about it.

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
The manager I spoke with over the phone made it sound like if I had a window or two redone the exact same thing may happen so that really annoyed me and like I said I felt he may refuse.

I have intentionally left my car in the sun for multiple days. I will go ahead and request they redo at least the back quarter windows. I think the front and large passenger windows look okay. The hatch window though is similar to the quarter windows.

For comparisons sake I looked at a neighbors SUV with the front windows tinted and she has some bubbles at the bottom of each however they don't appear to have dust trapped in them like mine. I'm guessing most people never look close enough to notice.

This place does tint work on some pretty amazing cars, it wouldn't surprise me if they just gave my Golf a fast slop job and hoped since I live far away I wouldn't bother them about it.

Sorry you are dealing with this.
You should not have that many that you can easily see them.
Did his best guy do the job. Did they clean inside and outside windows well?
I say outside because they place the film on the outside to cut for fitting and then move inside. Did his best guy do the job?
Ask to see the other nice cars you say he does. How do they look?
If better then he should redo.
Be professional when you talk to him. Cussing him out will gain nothing other than you might enjoy it. Tell him you just want a good job so you can recommend others use him for tint work. That you would hate to tell others of a negative experience.

SweetJones_29

Ready to race!
It took mine a month or two. Mine car was tinted by the dealer when I bought it and had one of them redone. Still had tiny bubbles but was too busy to bring my car back again. A few months went by and no more bubbles.

Mrc5z

Ready to race!
I just had mine done and the front shield took 3 days for the bubbles to dissipate but I'm seeing what looks like stretch marks in the corners. I'm going back as they offer lifetime warranty. You should too!

mk7_bk

Autocross Champion
See if there is any kind of warranty or whatever. If there is like a xx day guarantee then take it back before then if there are bubbles. Had mine done at a good shop. Really no bubbles at all after a few days. I would wait 2 full weeks and if your not happy call them and see what they will do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

YNOTKIM

First off, sorry to hear.

I agree with Sandman and hope you can convince the shop in a positive manner to do you right.

My main concern, if the shop does agree to redo, is that they won’t damage your rear defroster in the process.

Hope it works out for you man.

Just curious, without Naming the establishment, where is this shop?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mk7_bk

Autocross Champion

I agree with Sandman and hope you can convince the shop in a positive manner to do you right.

My main concern, if the shop does agree to redo, is that they won’t damage your rear defroster in the process.

I see no problem with naming a place if they did a bad job. Being with anything in life

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chillax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI SE plaid

Well they agreed to redo the problem areas. My appointment isn't for a couple weeks though. This is a well known shop in Madison, WI. I'll name it after the situation is resolved.

seanmcd1

Autocross Newbie
drive back up there and get them to fix it. A good shop that guarantees their work should have no problem replacing a window or two, especially if there are multiple bubbles/spots that stand out.

Innovate_1

Passed Driver's Ed
Hopefully you got your issue resolved!

Here’s the true nature of the beast: Even the best of the best of the best shop can’t “guarantee“ per say a 100% dust/particle free installation. Do 100% flawless installations happen? Absolutely, the majority of the time! What you have to understand is that sometimes a window can be 100% particle free but the second the liner is pulled from the film, the film acts like a magnet to anything remotely close or perhaps floating in the air. So when that employee you spoke with said it could potentially appear somewhere else, that is what he is referring to. Not that it will but could happen.

On the same token, there is a margin of acceptability. If more than a handful of particles are showing it could definitely be a candidate for a redo. A lot of the times they can be “melted” down to where they are not visible but that is up to the shop/installer to make that call.

Ultimately, if the shop is reputable as you mentioned, I’m sure they appreciate your business and will do their part to make sure you are satisfied.

Good luck!!