GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What is this humming noise? Super annoying

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
Yeah maybe that’s the strategy. Go deaf or wear earplugs. (Side note - when I was researching Miatas I was curious how the NDs are on the highway and people said wear earplugs lol.)

Well to probably no one’s surprise, removing the Audi subframe harmonic thingy didn't make a difference.

Last edited:

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
They put the lead tech on this today. He has 40+ years experience on German vehicles and 15 or something just at this dealership. I can’t say enough about how patient and informative he was.
  • We went for a long drive to confirm the noise and discussed what I had tried so far. Chatted about autocross and beating up rental cars.
  • He put a stethoscope on the RF bearing with it running in the air and it’s quiet. Also checked the rears and they were good. Silent and properly torqued.
  • He checked underneath the car, including suspension, brakes, and fuel lines. No problems.
  • Ultimately couldn’t explain it but felt confident there are no mechanical issues. Covered the diagnostic costs for me.
At this point I’m donezo. If there’s a problem it’s clearly not going to get fixed because no one can find it. I’m not going to throw more money at this (new tires? new wheels?) in the hopes the next thing is the magical fix. And if it’s just the nature of the car, then I don’t really want the car because it’s driving me nuts.

So, I guess I’m gonna start shopping for something else and pulling off my aftermarket stuff.

Huge. Bummer. 🙁

Last edited:

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
why not try someone else's wheels?
Let's say I do that and the noise is gone: Is the issue my wheels, or my tires? If my tires, is it the tire size, or specific tire selection? If it's the specific tire selection, how do I know what other tire will or won't hum since my previous set did too after 5k miles? If my wheels, are they all bent? Is it the specific tire size and wheel size combo? If that, should I change the wheel size or the tire size? I don't know that it will give me an answer.

Last edited:

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
Let's say I do that and the noise is gone: Is the issue my wheels, or my tires? Is it the tire size, or specific tire selection? Is it the specific tire size and wheel size combo? Are my wheels messed up? I don't know that it will give me an answer.
In that scenario doesn’t it at least narrow it down to those 4 questions in regards to 2 items?

For me A tornado red 2 door GTI is such an ideal GTI look in all gens I’d do everything to keep it, lol.

Personally if I was in that tough spot,
I’d Pull the interior, carpet and panels and just do a true 3 layer process of sound deadening/barrier, to get the cab silly quiet… or just get a EV if you want a crazy low road noise car 😂😂. I will say in regards to tires though… as someone that’s also hypersensative to nvh I will say the tires with foam sound deadener inside really do work as I’ve now got experience with having them then removing them in my EV (both summer tires but foam was in Goodyear asm. 3 and no foam in michelin ps4s) and as well not having a set with them and then adding them to my Tiguan ( hankook a/s ventus s1 no foam to Bridgestone turanza t005 with foam). But I know you’re not interested in more tires and such.

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
In that scenario doesn’t it at least narrow it down to those 4 questions in regards to 2 items?
Yes, but it still puts me in a position of throwing money and time at it until it's maybe fixed. Wheels and tires aren't cheap things. And in the end, none of it really adds up because I didn't have this damn hum 6+ months ago. It just randomly started and has gotten worse since, even after changing tires. I'm tired of trying to figure it out. I've put so much time and money into figuring this out and I've got to draw a line. Where does it end? Maybe I add more sound deadening (I've already added a ton - I don't even know where else to add it for this issue) and that doesn't help. What next? A new set of wheels? Oops didn't work, what next? New tires? Didn't work, what next?

it sounds like you don't actually want to fix it, you just want a new car, which, fair.
That's honestly pretty unfair to say because I adore this car and I have been throwing money and time at this since September to try and fix it.
  • Audi subframe harmonic dampener
  • A shit ton of sound deadening in the hatch, wheel wells, and under back seats
  • Replaced rear shock mounts
  • Replaced rear spring isolators
  • Disassembled and re-assembled rear suspension
  • Replaced tires with a different make and model
  • Checked bushings
  • Removed rear hatch brace
  • Removed front strut bar
  • Dampened the muffler heat shield
  • Replaced rear brake pads
  • Replaced front brake pads and rotors
  • Replaced both rear wheel bearings
  • Replaced LF wheel bearing
  • Tightened front camber mount center bolts
  • Reconfirmed rear job is to spec
  • Checked bushings and heat shields under car
  • Varied air pressure from 32psi to 35psi
  • Inspected fuel lines
I'm tired of it. Ready to draw the line and move on unless some magical breakthrough happens.

Last edited:

AdamSheikh

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
15 GTI | 24 RS 3
Had a chance to go back and re-read / re-watch some of the videos you shared, etc. You're not going to like this, but I genuinely feel you're just sensitive to road/tire noise based on the videos you posted and noted time stamps on. Nothing in those videos sounds out of place to me, and I have nearly 10 years and 160k miles in a MK7 under my belt. I'm just hearing typical road and tire noise.

As suggested above, swap all wheels with someone (ideally stocks on decent tires). Even if the tone doesn't go away, but at least changes, you have your answer that its normal road/tire noise. 🤷‍♂️

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Want to buy a 19 GTI with a front bumper that looks like Jewel? 🤣

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
i mean, if you're unwilling to try something as low effort/cost as borrowing wheels, then i find it hard to believe
As explained above, it’s not that simple. That’s not going to give me an answer. At best it narrows it down to what I already suspect and still leaves me with needing to experiment with different wheels and tires. A certain point you have to draw the line. I think it’s fair, after spending thousands and countless hours, to call it.

Had a chance to go back and re-read / re-watch some of the videos you shared, etc. You're not going to like this, but I genuinely feel you're just sensitive to road/tire noise based on the videos you posted and noted time stamps on. Nothing in those videos sounds out of place to me, and I have nearly 10 years and 160k miles in a MK7 under my belt. I'm just hearing typical road and tire noise.
If you listen with decent headphones you’ll hear it. Sure I may be sensitive to it. But I’ve been in many other cars and even literally test drove a GLI this week — none with this issue.