GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What is this humming noise? Super annoying

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
@GTIfan99 and you could have a wheel swap day 🤷‍♂️
He bought my second set of RSE16's and has his race tires on them. I'm not using my car daily anymore and it's sitting on RSE16 's with same size tires he has on his. I've got RT660's, he's on V730's. Not sure there's much to be gained. I sold my stock 18" Prets, they didn't fit over my new brakes.

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
I already swapped on my track set and learned what I could from that. Swapping wheels and tires with more people likely won’t give me more info 🤷‍♂️. I'm still in the same position of: What needs to change? Tires? Type or Size? Wheels? Size? Weight? Offset? Its own rabbit hole.

Last edited:

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
Spent hours researching tire cavity resonance and calculating the resonance of different variables too but apparently “I don’t want to fix it” 🤨🙄

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
Tore apart the back half of the car over the past hour and looked for more opportunities to add deadening materials and banged around with a rubber mallet to look for resonance. The only place I hear resonance/singing is from underneath the spare tire well, where the suspension arms and springs are. And then of course the wheel wells still sound like bongos, regardless of how much deadener I put on them.

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
Tore apart the back half of the car over the past hour and looked for more opportunities to add deadening materials and banged around with a rubber mallet to look for resonance. The only place I hear resonance/singing is from underneath the spare tire well, where the suspension arms and springs are. And then of course the wheel wells still sound like bongos, regardless of how much deadener I put on them.
Research sound deadeners, sound barriers, and “decoupler” foam for car “sound deadening” and you’ll find that adding more and more foil/rubber deading is not the right answer or method when actually trying to make a quiet cabin, it’s just what people do over n over by mistake.

To be clear though : I totally get and understand your frustrations and feeling on this.

But if it a tire noise that bothers you the best thing to do is create an actual sound barrier from the wheel wells, and “killmat/dynamat” won’t do that. You need the heavy expensive MLV products

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
Research sound deadeners, sound barriers, and “decoupler” foam for car “sound deadening” and you’ll find that adding more and more foil/rubber deading is not the right answer or method when actually trying to make a quiet cabin, it’s just what people do over n over by mistake.

To be clear though : I totally get and understand your frustrations and feeling on this.

But if it a tire noise that bothers you the best thing to do is create an actual sound barrier from the wheel wells, and “killmat/dynamat” won’t do that. You need the heavy expensive MLV products
👍 Yeah, I was mainly just trying to stop any resonance since the hum sounds very resonate-y. Plenty of opportunities for panels to vibrate so that was my main focus, and I hoped that would be enough. Next step would be actual sound barriers like MLV.

scrllock

Autocross Champion
Spent hours researching tire cavity resonance and calculating the resonance of different variables too but apparently “I don’t want to fix it” 🤨🙄
I think you just don't want to find out you spent all that time changing out your entire suspension when it could have been as simple as the wheels. which is understandable, but not rational.

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
I think you just don't want to find out you spent all that time changing out your entire suspension when it could have been as simple as the wheels. which is understandable, but not rational.
1) I didn’t change out my entire suspension

2) If you read back, I already tried my track wheel and tire set and learned what I could from that.

I would LOVE to find an answer without throwing more money at it.

Last edited:

scrllock

Autocross Champion
1) I didn’t change out my entire suspension

2) If you read back, I already tried my track wheel and tire set and learned what I could from that.

I would LOVE to find an answer without throwing more money at it.
i mean, v730 would very likely be noisier than normal street tires. not a great test. and if you're sensitive to whatever noise your normal tires make, swapping front to back likely wouldn't change it either. you said changing tire pressure made a big difference, which points to tires.

my suggestion is to ride in someone's car without the noise then swap wheels/tires and preferably go over road you know to make the noise.
the noise in your clips sounds like tire/pavement combo to me, but without a really good mic, it's really hard to isolate car noises.

past that, I would try stock shocks and then dive into new bushings for the subframe, but I assume that's deeper than you want to go. anything that shop touched with the half-assed shock mount bolts would merit putting a wrench on to me.

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
If it’s tires why didn’t the hum change or go away when I switched tires from ECS to FK510? Both tires are known for their relative quietness. One should be quiet-ish.

Last edited:

scrllock

Autocross Champion
If it’s tires why didn’t the hum change or go away when I switched tires from ECS to FK510? Both tires are known for their relative quietness. One should be quiet-ish.
beats me. they're all performance tires though, which are usually noisier than say SUV touring rubber. ideally i'd find someone with 17s just to see if that helps much, I think @DerHase has a set.