GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What is this humming noise? Super annoying

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
Too bad you don't live close, I have a few sets of wheels and tires you could experiment with. Do you know anyone locally who is a wheel whore like me?
No, no one comes to mind.

I test drove a couple cars this weekend for comparison to see if they hum. 19 Rabbit and 22 SE. Couldn’t get definitive impressions because both had at least one bad tire that was making a ton of rotational noise. But I didn’t hear the particular hum I’m trying to solve on my car. Both were 225/40r18 on 18x7.5 wheels, but both the tires and wheels were different from my car. I’m not sure what to do with that info.

None of my options at this point are particularly inexpensive.
  • I could try a new set of tires at the stock size (225/40r18) -- $750-950
  • I could try a used set of Audi 18x8 wheels -- $400-600 with current tires mounted
  • I could buy an entirely new wheel and tire set, something like 17x8 and 235/45r17 -- $1200+
  • I could try to find a used set of stock GTI or GLI take-offs. Unfortunately the stock tires aren't known to be particularly quiet. -- $400-$600

Last edited:

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
So best I can find on Tirerack for a set of cheap 17x8's and good A/S tires is like $1300-1500. Summers are the same or more. That's a pretty big gamble since I doubt I could resell them for that much. Hmmmm.

There's a set of used Audi 18x8's locally for $400. Not sure if that's worth trying with my current tires.

🤔

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
There's a set of used Audi 18x8's locally for $400. Not sure if that's worth trying with my current tires.
This is probably what I would look for. I got my Lagunas for $500 back in the day. You could try to find some Classix off of an MKV or something. They were 17x7.5 though, but I loved the look of them on my last GTI and should be pretty cheap.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I used to have 3 sets of wheels tires, sorry I sold two of them.

On the bright side, you bought one set and it's the quiet ones on your car. 🤣🤣🤣

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
As long as it doesn’t rain I’ll keep the V730s on for now 😂

But yeah I gotta start trying other street setups. I guess it makes sense to start with a set of used wheels. I'm pretty sure I don't want to do another set of 18x7.5 since that's what I have now and if the issue is resonance, then the same size is more likely than a difference size to have similar resonance. Gonna shoot for 18x8 I guess.

Last edited:

scrllock

Autocross Champion
Which is weird, because looking at the tread pattern you'd guess/think they'd be loud as hell lol
yeah, it was my reasoning for not buying them myself. friend bought them because they're the top-rated all season on tirerack, lo and behold it seems to be a pretty good tire.

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
Fixed it! Bought a mk8 🤣

I tried 2 other sets of wheels and tires on my mk7 and all had a resonating hum. Only set that was quiet was the track set, so I'm pinning that on soft compound and thick tire construction not producing frequencies that are resonating through my car. As I moved around the cabin (not while driving lol) the hum varied, so I really think there's some sort of unidentified body or panel resonance happening. Whatever the case, the mk8 is an improvement in road noise and ride quality. That's of course not the only (or even main) reason why I bought the mk8, but it's still nice. The hum is what led me to look at other cars, but the mk8 really impressed me overall and kinda sold itself to me.

Kart17

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
'17 VW GTI Sport
Fixed it! Bought a mk8 🤣

I tried 2 other sets of wheels and tires on my mk7 and all had a resonating hum. Only set that was quiet was the track set, so I'm pinning that on soft compound and thick tire construction not producing frequencies that are resonating through my car. As I moved around the cabin (not while driving lol) the hum varied, so I really think there's some sort of unidentified body or panel resonance happening. Whatever the case, the mk8 is an improvement in road noise and ride quality. That's of course not the only (or even main) reason why I bought the mk8, but it's still nice. The hum is what led me to look at other cars, but the mk8 really impressed me overall and kinda sold itself to me.
The aero panels underneath help. If I’m not mistaken the MK8 has more of them. Enjoy the new ride! What trim did you get?