golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
Yes!....normal....tight ping means they haven't rusted through around the 3 bolt fixings & thus a lower "rattle/loose" sound....
Thanks. The first front one has a loose sound especially in the second ping. And the second front one (3rd and 4th pings) rings a long time. Could be loose?

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Elantra N is great, but it's a car I would probably buy new and trade in at 30k and not risk issues and having to deal with the crappy dealerships. Assuming I could get it insured for a reasonable price.

The Elantra N is a dope car when you get past "BuT iT's A hYunDAi!!1!". It sounds better than any exhaust setup I've heard on a GTI (and I've heard dozens of combos), and the stock DCT tuning is better than any of ones available for our cars I've tried on either the 6 or 7 spd DSG.

No idea if those points carry over to a Veloster, but I image they do.

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
The Elantra N is a dope car when you get past "BuT iT's A hYunDAi!!1!". It sounds better than any exhaust setup I've heard on a GTI (and I've heard dozens of combos), and the stock DCT tuning is better than any of ones available for our cars I've tried on either the 6 or 7 spd DSG.

No idea if those points carry over to a Veloster, but I image they do.
Agreed. And I see stock EN and VN pretty badly beating out modded GTI’s at autocross. They’re definitely weapons.

But if you have something for wrong, their dealership experience is rated poorly and major repairs have been taking a very long time apparently.

Pineapple

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf GTI S
Elantra N is great, but it's a car I would probably buy new and trade in at 30k and not risk issues and having to deal with the crappy dealerships. Assuming I could get it insured for a reasonable price.

Another significant plus for the MQB platform is that it's been around long enough for our passionate community to have worked out the vast majority of the kinks. When mine got totaled, I wound up staying in large part because of the accessible knowledge base for these vehicles.

(Sorry for continuing the off-topic)

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
Another significant plus for the MQB platform is that it's been around long enough for our passionate community to have worked out the vast majority of the kinks. When mine got totaled, I wound up staying in large part because of the accessible knowledge base for these vehicles.

(Sorry for continuing the off-topic)
That, and the massive aftermarket support is kinda insane. Pairing the huge amount of detailed knowledge with aftermarket support is sublime.

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
Thanks. The first front one has a loose sound especially in the second ping. And the second front one (3rd and 4th pings) rings a long time. Could be loose?
@golfdave Not sure if you missed this. Any thoughts on dust shields being the culprit? One sounds a tiny bit loose and another rings pretty heavily.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
@golfdave Not sure if you missed this. Any thoughts on dust shields being the culprit? One sounds a tiny bit loose and another rings pretty heavily.

Sorry busy.....

When mine went loose they didn't make any noise due to movement/wind that I could hear at speed when driving the car..

However, considering your predicament it may be worth replacing them...

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
Sorry busy.....

When mine went loose they didn't make any noise due to movement/wind that I could hear at speed when driving the car..

However, considering your predicament it may be worth replacing them...
Thanks, I appreciate it. Looked it up and fronts look like a pretty simple DIY. I wonder if I could test this somehow before going through with it. I have a bunch of butyl dampener. Hear me out... I could put some on the back of the dust shields to dampen them and go for a short drive (not too much braking to avoid high heat) to see if that has an effect. It should be easy enough to peel the stuff off after a test drive. 🤷‍♂️

krs

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MKVIIS R
Thanks, I appreciate it. Looked it up and fronts look like a pretty simple DIY. I wonder if I could test this somehow before going through with it. I have a bunch of butyl dampener. Hear me out... I could put some on the back of the dust shields to dampen them and go for a short drive (not too much braking to avoid high heat) to see if that has an effect. It should be easy enough to peel the stuff off after a test drive. 🤷‍♂️

Only three bolts holding them on, should be simple to just take the off and go for a drive.

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
Only three bolts holding them on, should be simple to just take the off and go for a drive.
I was hoping to avoid taking off the caliper carrier and rotor multiple times but it is what it is I guess.

Last edited:
Reactions: krs

krs

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MKVIIS R
I was hoping to avoid taking off the caliper carrier and rotor multiple times but it is what it is I guess.
Ah, brain lapse, for a minute I thought you could get to those from the back side. Couldn't remember how I did mine on my new brakes.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate

I'd stay away from adding butyl rubber type damping material to the back of the heat shields.....& yes the discs & carriers have to come of & then its three small bolts...they corrode through anyway & are a replacement item..I've done both my fronts the other year...

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
Update:

Now that my bent track wheel is straightened and it doesn't sound like I'm driving on lumpy logs, I was able to determine more clearly if there's any hum on my track set. There isn't! I drove this morning with cold roads and cold tires, autocrossed, and drove home on hot roads and hot tires. Wide variety of road textures and speeds. Very little, if any hum. So now the task is to determine what difference(s) are the cause.
  • Is it the tires?
    • If so, is it:
      • The tread pattern? Both my Conti ECS and Falken FK510 hummed and their tread patterns are quite different. The Contis didn't get humming really bad until about 5k in. The Falkens hummed brand new. The Kumho V730 track tires have very little tread pattern at all.
      • The tire size? I'm running 235/40r18 on 18x7.5 stock wheels (hum). My track set are 255/40r17 on Neuspeed 17x8.5 wheels (no hum).
      • The tire construction? The track tires are certainly built differently. Thicker sidewalls, softer compound.
      • The tire pressure? The larger size on my track set calls for lower pressure (30-31 psi)
  • Is it the wheels?
    • If so, is it:
      • The wheel construction or design? 5-spoke Austins vs. whatever the Neuspeeds are.
      • The wheel size? 18x7.5 vs. 17x8.5
  • Is it the wheel-tire combo?
    • If so,
      • Could an 18x8 wheel solve it?
      • Could a 225/40r18 tire solve it?
It's hard to know where to go from here. I'm not in the camp of believing it's the specific tires I run today (the FK510s) because the Contis before them were humming too, and both tires are repeatedly tested and reviewed to be very quiet. My gut is leaning towards the wheel-tire combo and that I should try a different size combo. I dunno.

Another big difference is both the Contis and these Falkens I can tap/slap the tires and hear them ring at pretty much the seem frequency of the hum I hear. The track tires barely have any sort of ring at all.

Last edited:

khail19

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI SE
Too bad you don't live close, I have a few sets of wheels and tires you could experiment with. Do you know anyone locally who is a wheel whore like me?