GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What is the obsession with warranties?

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
It's the idea of having their cake and eating it too.

People want to mod and have a get out of jail free card.

This isn't specific to cars. We live in a society where taking personal responsibility for your actions is a foreign concept to -many-.
^^this.

You have rights but also responsibilities. I would be OK for no helmet required on bikes but then your insurance gets to charge you more (and void if you say you will but don't) and your ability to sue for damages gets curtailed because you didn't take a reasonable precaution.

cb1111

^^this.

You have rights but also responsibilities. I would be OK for no helmet required on bikes but then your insurance gets to charge you more (and void if you say you will but don't) and your ability to sue for damages gets curtailed because you didn't take a reasonable precaution.
Yes, sad. In addition, few actually do any research on what warranty or the laws actually are - it is far easies to moan about the injustices on a forum...

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK5 Best GTI
i'm with OP, warranty never seems to cover anything anyway and if i'm gonna be modding it, and it blows, it's on me. Never really cared about warranty, never really needed it either.

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK5 Best GTI
^that's fine. But you might not be one of those people the OP is referring to with 'Ermagerd will these valve step caps void my warranty??' and the like

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
This thread is crackin me up.

People wanna play, but don't wanna pay

IanCH

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'20 GTI
Lol so many a holes, I like my warranty. Saved me thousands. I afford my car comfortably, I am car savvy, and still liked the warranty

You sir are in the minority with me and some others on buying cars we can afford. Not an asshole by pointing it out.

Most people, that buy new cars, buy cars they cant afford. Couple that with bad credit and you'll see some eye popping interest rates and payments too.

An even higher percentage of buyers of performance vehicles are buying a car they cant afford.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Lol so many a holes, I like my warranty. Saved me thousands. I afford my car comfortably, I am car savvy, and still liked the warranty
This is not being conveyed well - I like having a warranty too and own my new-ish car/title in hand. But it's not the primary reason I bought my car nor does the length/time of a warranty impact my buying decisions. If my Sportwagen had a 2/24 vs. say some other like-priced car with a 6/72, I would have still bought the Sportwagen. I've read post were folks are essentially saying "I'm mainly getting this car for the warranty".

averyislost

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI S
This is not being conveyed well - I like having a warranty too and own my new-ish car/title in hand. But it's not the primary reason I bought my car nor does the length/time of a warranty impact my buying decisions. If my Sportwagen had a 2/24 vs. say some other like-priced car with a 6/72, I would have still bought the Sportwagen. I've read post were folks are essentially saying "I'm mainly getting this car for the warranty".

Yeah I think I misunderstood too. I bought my GTI new, so I could know how it was taken care of with no previous owners. But I also happily bought a 2020 over the 2019 simply because it was easier to find. Warranty amount didn't sway me because I most likely will tune once it runs out (maybe sooner) and no way was I waiting 7 years, lol.

But warranties are nice just because peace of mind is comforting. I already have a project car, and another car that's been out of warranty for 16 years now, so I like having at least one vehicle that gives me the peace of mind to know if some fluke issue happens and breaks a big-ticket item, it's not on me.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Yeah I think I misunderstood too. I bought my GTI new, so I could know how it was taken care of with no previous owners. But I also happily bought a 2020 over the 2019 simply because it was easier to find. Warranty amount didn't sway me because I most likely will tune once it runs out (maybe sooner) and no way was I waiting 7 years, lol.

But warranties are nice just because peace of mind is comforting. I already have a project car, and another car that's been out of warranty for 16 years now, so I like having at least one vehicle that gives me the peace of mind to know if some fluke issue happens and breaks a big-ticket item, it's not on me.
The majority of the time/mileage that I've cars since I started driving (31 years) have been outside of any new vehicle/manufacturer warranties (I've only bought 3 new cars personally, add wife and that's 2 more). The most expensive single repair I've had was on our '06 Honda Odyssey with 120K for a new steering rack - $1,200.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
No wonder you're not worried about warranty, you've had great luck, haha.
I would argue that that is the norm actually. If it wasn't, extended warranties would cost much more than they are sold for and manufacturers would offer much shorter ones. Keep in mind, that was my most expensive single repair but I've certainly had strings of ~$500 repairs in a single year on older used cars. Also, most of the cost of ownership is in maintenance and wear items that aren't covered anyway.

Gptuners

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI S
So one thing that I just thought of- so many people buy JB4 "because it won't bother the warranty"... using the same train of thought, has anyone ever bought a second ECU that they can flash with a tune, so that the original flash counter doesn't show extra flashes? 🤔