GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What is the obsession with warranties?

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
Mag Moss won't help you with the tune and aftermarket though, it's not it's purpose. It's so VW can't deny a claim b/c you had your oil changed at Jiffy Lube with equivalent parts/oil.
No, but it helps with the things that Audi/VW seems to constantly get wrong. An EQT tune wont prevent them from replacing my stupid window switches, or the head unit, etc.

DarkArrow

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'18 R
I'm sure most won't admit it, but it's most likely because people don't want to accept pay to play, and are already overstepping their financial means with a car that's more than they can afford. If they're put in the hole for a large unexpected payment (like a new motor), will be putting significant financial strain on themselves.

Statistically speaking, even before COVID, I think it was something ridiculous like 20% of financed cars were 30+ days late in payments. 20% of new car purchases were 6+ year terms. People don't have the money for the cars their buying.

IanCH

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'20 GTI
If my turbo ever goes I'll just use it as an excuse to go to IS38 if VW wont cover it. WIN WIN

tigeo

Autocross Champion
I think there are some responses that indicate that I am saying warranties are dumb or not useful- that's not what I said. Of course it's nice to have a warranty so that the manufacturer guarantees that they will take care of issues within the warranty period...duh. I've used it twice on my GSW for the HVAC recirc door motor. Just that some talk about warranties a bit beyond that like it's the main reason for owning the cars i.e. #warrantiesrlyfe....a bit different.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
I'm sure most won't admit it, but it's most likely because people don't want to accept pay to play, and are already overstepping their financial means with a car that's more than they can afford. If they're put in the hole for a large unexpected payment (like a new motor), will be putting significant financial strain on themselves.

Statistically speaking, even before COVID, I think it was something ridiculous like 20% of financed cars were 30+ days late in payments. 20% of new car purchases were 6+ year terms. People don't have the money for the cars their buying.
bingo

vjmvjm

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2016 VW GTI S DSG PP
Most people are risk averse. The idea of paying for an engine, turbo, AC compressor, transmission, etc. replacement makes them nervous. Whether or not they can afford it.

I know lots of people with extended warranties that have never used them. And a few others who were happy that they had them, due to major issues (like turbocharger replacement).

cb1111

I think there are some responses that indicate that I am saying warranties are dumb or not useful- that's not what I said. Of course it's nice to have a warranty so that the manufacturer guarantees that they will take care of issues within the warranty period...duh. I've used it twice on my GSW for the HVAC recirc door motor. Just that some talk about warranties a bit beyond that like it's the main reason for owning the cars i.e. #warrantiesrlyfe....a bit different.
The bigger question is "if pricing were identical, would you buy a 19 (with the longer warranty) over a 2020?"

tigeo

Autocross Champion
The bigger question is "if pricing were identical, would you buy a 19 (with the longer warranty) over a 2020?"
Sure, and even better, the 19 should be more discounted so a double-win.

I think it's better to ask this: would you pay for more a 2020 IF it had a longer warranty over a heavily discounted 19 with a shorter warranty? I would not but many would in a heart-beat.

Navi

Autocross Champion
Most people are risk averse. The idea of paying for an engine, turbo, AC compressor, transmission, etc. replacement makes them nervous. Whether or not they can afford it.

risk adverse or broke?
:LOL:

JC_451

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
It's the idea of having their cake and eating it too.

People want to mod and have a get out of jail free card.

This isn't specific to cars. We live in a society where taking personal responsibility for your actions is a foreign concept to -many-.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
I think a lot of the "will this void my warranty" questions come because the typical response is "mod your car and warranty is void," which is not true as a blanket statement. If you buy a car, get a Stage 1 tune on day 1, and a wheel bearing/hub assembly needs to be replaced at 3,000 miles your warranty is going to cover that. You blow your engine at 3,000 miles on that tuned car and they probably won't cover it. But when people respond to warranty questions it's always "don't mod if you want to keep your warranty."

... and yeah, being risk averse is how some people make sure they don't go broke, haha.

IanCH

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'20 GTI
One could make a pretty legitimate argument that buying a new bmw or porsche with cash is dumber than fixating on a warranty. :LOL:

tigeo

Autocross Champion
I think a lot of the "will this void my warranty" questions come because the typical response is "mod your car and warranty is void," which is not true as a blanket statement. If you buy a car, get a Stage 1 tune on day 1, and a wheel bearing/hub assembly needs to be replaced at 3,000 miles your warranty is going to cover that. You blow your engine at 3,000 miles on that tuned car and they probably won't cover it. But when people respond to warranty questions it's always "don't mod if you want to keep your warranty."

... and yeah, being risk averse is how some people make sure they don't go broke, haha.
100%, so many are misinformed on how this all works. I've had several minor bits taken care of with a turbo-swapped/bolt-on/tuned car and as I said in my OP - that's really all I care about b/c that the typical stuff that goes wrong in my experience while you car is covered anyway.