GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What is louder? AWE Track or APR Exhaust

It's Sam

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
X3 M40i
I did the AWE Track + APR Downpipe about 3 months ago, and it sounds great. I jumped around between a few brands, heard a bunch, but ultimately pulled the trigger on this one because of all the positive feedback. It is really good sounding.

From what I've seen and heard both in videos and in person, some exhausts produce a more tractor-y sound, or sound muffled when they should be loud. This doesn't. There's a good cold start sound (especially in the ~30 degree weather we've had), and a manageable amount of drone. DSG farts sound much more explosive, if that makes any sense.

Installation is like any other exhaust would be, though I do agree that APR did a better job by adding the extra hanger. My muffler sags just enough to scrape higher speed bumps, so that's something I have to revisit once the weather gets warmer.

Otherwise, it sounds excellent. It's deep enough to not be totally ricey, but loud enough when you want it to be.

My input, take it how you want.

maic

Passed Driver's Ed
I have a Unitronic Dp with AWE Touring.. Sound great. Then got the Unitronic Exhaust, totally regret getting them. It so LOUD in-out. Planning to re install AWE Touring back.

mk7-k

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2016 'S' 4 door DSG
SuperDuper

3. The Y pipe. This is perhaps the largest difference. AWR goes from a 3” mid pipe, to a 2.25” Y pipe, that is a 2 to 1 for the exhaust tips. APR uses just a 2 to 1 splitter that splits off to 2.5” diameter piping straight to the tips. Larger diameter tends to mean there is less tolerance, which means the fit will ultimately look better

Also the APR splitter is a cast piece, not 2 pieces of mig welded piping.

SuperDuper

Go Kart Newbie
wait till their titanium version comes out

No need to be salty.

I used to own an AWE Track Exhaust. I thought it was great but it droned a little too much for me around the 3,000 RPM range. This was back when I had a '16 DSG GTI, though. I also really did not like how the muffler sagged.

dosjockey

Go Kart Champion
Totally different? Am I the only one that doesn't see the difference? I'm just calling it as I see it. They are both good exhaust systems but to say one is crap vs the other is insane. They are the same design (with APR obviously modeling their system after the AWE including the resonator and ability to remove it - it is a system that works and good packaging) and both good quality - the steel is the same. Just say you're an APR fan and that's that. Someone please point the differences out to me?

Hangers, muffler, weld quality, tips, clamps, tube joint location, Y splitter, bends...

Don't know much about those manufacturers, but the APR is manufactured to a higher standard of overall quality.

The AWE looks like something Magnaflow would crank out.

They're going to look similar because they're designed for the same car.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I've never seen some many APR nutt huggers in one place before till now.

I'm not generally a fan of APR products, I only bought their springs, but the exhausts are clearly not copies of each other. I doubt there's a hp difference between the 2 and they probably hold up about the same, but to say that APR copied AWE is ridiculous. Other than the fact that they both have the same restrictions as to space to work with, they are clearly different products.

SouthFL_Mk7.5

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI S
I'm not generally a fan of APR products, I only bought their springs, but the exhausts are clearly not copies of each other. I doubt there's a hp difference between the 2 and they probably hold up about the same, but to say that APR copied AWE is ridiculous. Other than the fact that they both have the same restrictions as to space to work with, they are clearly different products.

Not an APR fanboy either but I must say that APR cat back looks top notch. I hadn’t actually paid attention to it before.

Last edited:

mk7-k

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2016 'S' 4 door DSG
Not an APR fanboy either but I must say that APR cat back looks to notch. I hadn’t actually paid attention to it before.
When you see them side by side like I did, the quality was obvious, The tig welds were perfect, the quality of the piping, the cast splitter and the extra hangar for the muffler sold me.

SouthFL_Mk7.5

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI S
I don't think enough people have actually heard their cars at full tilt from outside.

These things sound pretty beefy from the factory; more so than even I thought, at first. You just don't get it inside. I'd suggest letting someone in to pass you under acceleration before buying another exhaust.

You really need to get the full experience of what you already have before introducing more noise and risking drone.

Here’s my car at the track. You can hear every car but mine! And my car has a cat back (on factory down pipe!) which is much louder than factory!

It's Sam

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
X3 M40i
I guess if you're talking about build quality, APR will obviously take it. I'm not an APR fanboy, but I don't disrespect them either. They make top-notch products, and you can't deny that. That's why they're priced the way they are. At the same time, you're buying an exhaust for the sound. The majority of the time, build quality and design will have differences so minor that they'd go completely unnoticed. AWE's exhaust isn't built like crap, APR just builds it a little better.

I don't want to contribute to this becoming another APR vs The World thread, but the differences are there.
-
You asked which sounded better, and in my personal opinion, with my setup, AWE takes the cake.

The Butcher

Autocross Champion
In my opinion, APR'S exhaust systems have always sounded "farty". Build quality is great on both companies, but AWE sounds so much better.

If you're going to run a downpipe, please get a catted version. The Gen 3 motor sounds like absolute garbage with an open downpipe.

Plus side of AWE, if it's too loud, you can buy a optional sections that have resonators at a later date.

Downside of AWE....$$$$$$$

I'm talking to B&B about making a turboback for the MK7 platform. On my MK6 GTI, it sounded orgasmic. Hopefully they will get back into the VW market.