GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

what did you own before the R

Brinkmen

VW NUT!
Car(s)
2015 Golf R
2007 VW GTI...

Thought I needed AWD for the Northern MN snow, so I traded it for...

2007 BMW 335xi

Loved the AWD and power, hated the transmission, and wished it was as fun as my GTI, so I traded it for...

2012 VW GTI

Super fun, missed the BMW power, so I went APR stage 1, and realized I needed AWD not just for the snow, but to get traction, so I traded it for...

2015 VW Golf R.

Happy. Finally really, really, really happy.

Love the conciseness. :cool:

Hwcn

Ready to race!
2012 Shadow Blue GTI-K04 & supporting mods
2010 Honda Fit-Hated It!!!!!
20?? Scion XA

I seem to like hatches.

mossey61

previous cars

Currently driving a silver mk 7 Golf R in 2016 GCC Spec which is 17bhp less than the European Cars. Very pleased with my first VW Golf.
Bit of German car nut I suppose.
Previous cars a red F13 BMW 640D MSport coupe and before that a Arctic Silver Porsche 997 Carrera S and a Carbon Black E60 BMW 530i MSport
My previous venture into the VW Audi Brand was a Raven Black 225 Audi TT Coupe

Stevie1

Ready to race!
I want to know what automaker and model car you owned before buying the R.

If you owned other then VW, what steered you towards the R?

If you owned a VW, what made you get rid of the vw you just owned and buy a R?

I've owned over 45 cars during the years but have never owned a VW other then a brief stint with a 78 VW Beetle. Am I making the right choice with purchasing a $40000 Golf R, or should I get something else?

I owned a 08 Evo X MR, so I'm looking along those lines for performance but with better interior refinement and mod friendly dealership approval along with reliability.

1. 2011 Audi A8 SE 3.0 TDi
2. Have owned numerous VW's Audi's and Skoda's - All part of the same group, good dependable, well made cars.
3. To the third question, still own a VW Tiguan and Skoda Fabia.

- Dealers, hmm that's another story :D

Stevie1

Ready to race!
Prior to the R I owned an 83' Saab 900, a 90' Saab 900 conv, a freakishly fast 92' Saab 9000, a 96' 9000 Aero, a 2003 Saab 9-3 conv. and a 2011 GTI. Needless to say I love turbo hatchbacks. The two Saab 9000s pulled like a mother in any gear over 1st but alas, they just are not that great of an overall drivers car.

My GTI was awesome, named her Greta and sent a long list of cars home from autocross with their diffusers between their wheels. These cars have the performance no matter what any magazine review says. Once I got her sorted out, not once was Greta outgunned by an ST, MS3, Civic SI or WRX and I kept her stock save for the sway bars. I have driven a 997 911 S and pulled a number of runs in an E92 M3 as well and that German DNA of solid structure, body control with the right amount of compliance is definitely there in these newer VW's. The R(now given the name Helga) is such a special feeling car to drive.

Okami13 mentioned the Focus RS. I have no doubt that car will have awesome performance but something to think about is that if you are going to have four doors, the Focus rear leg and head room is not nearly as good as the Golf. Also, since my wife has to drive the car DSG is a great thing to have and I personally love that transmission. The Civic? Could be a great car too but I do not see how anyone will improve upon the all around, kick ass at everything formula that VW has in the R.

Yes interesting point about the performance, I think German automakers will under report performance/BHP figures to suit marketing strategies. I don't have any real evidence of this .. but looking at a Golf R it has 295 bhp, yet a Seat Cupra, same engine and gearbox gets 280bhp?

JBJNR

Passed Driver's Ed
BMW 5 Series sedan. Perfectly nice car, I just felt like an old geezer driving it. R is a lot more fun, lively to drive, and easier to park in the city. Plus, once in a while the odd kid in a street racer drives by slow with a smile on his face and gives me a big thumbs up - that never happened to me in the bimmer . . . So the R is guaranteed to make you feel at least 5 years younger while you're driving it . . . worth something I guess . . .

Sailor737

Ready to race!
'00 Golf gls
'02 GTI 1.8T
'99 Jetta GLX VR6
'97 Toyota forerunner
'88 Honda CRX
'68 Ford Mustang 302
'04 Mini Cooper S
'04 Ford Lightning
'10 Audi A4
'10 Audi A4 Quattro
'66 Ford Mustang 347cu in twin turbo
'12 BMW 335D
'11 Cobalt SS
'12 Toyota Prius
'12 Ram 1500 Big Horn 5.7 Hemi
'14 Lexus IS250 F Sport
'12 Shelby GT500
'15 VW Golf TDI
'15 VW Golf R

Brinkmen

VW NUT!
Car(s)
2015 Golf R
'00 Golf gls
'02 GTI 1.8T
'99 Jetta GLX VR6
'97 Toyota forerunner
'88 Honda CRX
'68 Ford Mustang 302
'04 Mini Cooper S
'04 Ford Lightning
'10 Audi A4
'10 Audi A4 Quattro
'66 Ford Mustang 347cu in twin turbo
'12 BMW 335D
'11 Cobalt SS
'12 Toyota Prius
'12 Ram 1500 Big Horn 5.7 Hemi
'14 Lexus IS250 F Sport
'12 Shelby GT500
'15 VW Golf TDI
'15 VW Golf R

That's quite the list. What do you current own now besides the R?

Sailor737

Ready to race!
I have my 2015 Golf R, 66 Ford Mistang 347 fuel injected twin turbo, and my wife has her '14 Subaru Forester XT. If I tune my R im going to have to get my wife's XT tuned at the same time or else she'll be jealous��

mrlapou

Ready to race!
MK7 GTi DSG with ACC and DCC