GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What did you get in the mail or bring home for your MKVII today?

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Received the large size of this battery cover from Aliexpress a few days ago since my stock blanket wouldn't fit on the H6 AGM. I went for 4 years or so without one on the last battery, but wanted to clean up the bay just a bit (and I've read some people shove their JB1 in there as well, if I actually decide to install the one I got on trade for my springs haha).

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256803266148134.html

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
@Nineeightyone

I've got eibach lowering springs on the car which I'm told are incompatible with the SA's.
Yeah, I have SAs on my car and I swear when I bought them they were adamant about using the stock springs. I looked at their site again today to check to see where I saw that, and don't recall the second note on this image being there before. You would probably have to call them to see what "many lowering springs" they consider compliant. When I talked to them, they made it sound like the dampers needed their full stroke to do their magic that they indeed definitely do.

1709844194517.png

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Received the large size of this battery cover from Aliexpress a few days ago since my stock blanket wouldn't fit on the H6 AGM. I went for 4 years or so without one on the last battery, but wanted to clean up the bay just a bit (and I've read some people shove their JB1 in there as well, if I actually decide to install the one I got on trade for my springs haha).

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256803266148134.html
Quoting myself instead of editing haha.

I told my wife that I ordered it from Aliexpress since, including shipping, it was like 17% the cost of one from the dealer and her first question was "is it real and is it flammable?" :ROFLMAO: So, now she has me second guessing it haha.

JTM88

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI
VLAND taillights came in

Attachments

• IMG_2830.jpeg
    IMG_2830.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 20

Kushdaiin

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MK7 R, MK7 GSW SEL
When my sub frame showed up my wife said "I don't know what that is but you don't even drive fast" 😒
This is a bit unbelievable, but I've gotten my wife to support my modifications . . . for instance, I'm just picked up the parts for the rear latch with the camera sprayer for her '21 Atlas, which she's now requesting! Also agreed that the heated steering in the GSW was necessary after having it in her previous tiguan and now her atlas.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
This is a bit unbelievable, but I've gotten my wife to support my modifications . . . for instance, I'm just picked up the parts for the rear latch with the camera sprayer for her '21 Atlas, which she's now requesting! Also agreed that the heated steering in the GSW was necessary after having it in her previous tiguan and now her atlas.
It isn't that she doesn't support the mods. She just gives me shit because she knows me well enough to know that mostly I'm just doing them because I can or because they aren't done very often.

Her car is bone stock, won't even let me put wheels on it. She wouldn't even let me add one of those Bluetooth adapter things to her previous car, 2006 Corolla that we still have, but used to be her primary.

None of this is helped by the fact that all of the things I've added work well, but slightly less well than all of the things that her Tesla already does 🤣. I will say that my car with DCC set to Comfort or Normal has a better ride than her car. The model 3 has a surprising amount of body roll considering the low center of gravity but is also weirdly jarring over road imperfections. It's not even so much that you can feel them as it is that it doesn't sound like the car is handling them well, haha.

Of course, I'm on 17s at what I consider a reasonable tire pressure and the Tesla is on 19s at the Tesla recommended 42 psi to maximize range.

Kushdaiin

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MK7 R, MK7 GSW SEL
It isn't that she doesn't support the mods. She just gives me shit because she knows me well enough to know that mostly I'm just doing them because I can or because they aren't done very often.

Her car is bone stock, won't even let me put wheels on it. She wouldn't even let me add one of those Bluetooth adapter things to her previous car, 2006 Corolla that we still have, but used to be her primary.

None of this is helped by the fact that all of the things I've added work well, but slightly less well than all of the things that her Tesla already does 🤣. I will say that my car with DCC set to Comfort or Normal has a better ride than her car. The model 3 has a surprising amount of body roll considering the low center of gravity but is also weirdly jarring over road imperfections. It's not even so much that you can feel them as it is that it doesn't sound like the car is handling them well, haha.

Of course, I'm on 17s at what I consider a reasonable tire pressure and the Tesla is on 19s at the Tesla recommended 42 psi to maximize range.
Aside from wheels, what sort of mods can you do on a model 3? And wow! 42 psi in on 19s seems awfully high. Maybe to increase efficiency that last 1-2%? I give Tesla a lot of credit for getting where they are now, but I suppose not having that level of refinement isn't all that surprising given they don't have the comparative history or experience. They still seem to struggle with end of line quality issues.

dlhoovler

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport 6MT
I also got Koni Special Active shocks and struts. Was very pleased with them (under the older FSD branding) on my E46 BMW a few years ago, and these were on a good sale.

But, while the outer box from FCP Euro looked fine, the inner boxes for the struts were really beaten-up and taped over. Clearly the damage to the boxes happened before they were shipped.

20240307_221143~01.jpg

20240307_221352~01.jpg

20240307_221609~01.jpg

I cycled the struts by pushing down the pistons and allowing them to extend to full length; they move smoothly in both directions with similar resistance (firm but not too difficult to compress). The only visible issues are some paint scuffs - no bends or oil leakage.

Should I be concerned, or would the forum have confidence they're OK? I don't want to hassle with a return unnecessarily if those checks mean they're fine, but I also don't want to install them just to discover there was damage that my bench testing wouldn't reveal.

Pineapple

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf GTI S
I also got Koni Special Active shocks and struts. Was very pleased with them (under the older FSD branding) on my E46 BMW a few years ago, and these were on a good sale.

But, while the outer box from FCP Euro looked fine, the inner boxes for the struts were really beaten-up and taped over. Clearly the damage to the boxes happened before they were shipped.

View attachment 300622

View attachment 300623

View attachment 300624

I cycled the struts by pushing down the pistons and allowing them to extend to full length; they move smoothly in both directions with similar resistance (firm but not too difficult to compress). The only visible issues are some paint scuffs - no bends or oil leakage.

Should I be concerned, or would the forum have confidence they're OK? I don't want to hassle with a return unnecessarily if those checks mean they're fine, but I also don't want to install them just to discover there was damage that my bench testing wouldn't reveal.
I got my set today too (congrats us lol) and my inner boxes were beat to shit as well. My pics look the same as yours pretty much. My impression was that the components had too much movement in the inner box and just punched through that soft cardboard.

Nineeightyone

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
20 CX5 19 GTI 10 MZ3

View attachment 300622

View attachment 300623

View attachment 300624

Same experience here with my yellows -- the boxes are made of soggy waffles, but the struts themselves were A-Okay.

Pineapple

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf GTI S
Yeah, I have SAs on my car and I swear when I bought them they were adamant about using the stock springs. I looked at their site again today to check to see where I saw that, and don't recall the second note on this image being there before. You would probably have to call them to see what "many lowering springs" they consider compliant. When I talked to them, they made it sound like the dampers needed their full stroke to do their magic that they indeed definitely do.

View attachment 300477
Reply from Koni NA:

IMG_7616.jpeg

Forum wisdom not being entirely factual 🤔🤔 say it ain't so. Shoutout to @yakboyslim however for sending his oem springs, if I don't use them at least I'll have full stock set just in case I need to go back to stock (knock on wood).

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Reply from Koni NA:

View attachment 300686
Forum wisdom not being entirely factual 🤔🤔 say it ain't so. Shoutout to @yakboyslim however for sending his oem springs, if I don't use them at least I'll have full stock set just in case I need to go back to stock (knock on wood).
Yeah, definitely interesting. Maybe it's historical knowledge carrying over from the FSD and they've since updated their position? Not sure. Either way, it's good to know in case I want to get rid of this 4x4 stance I've got in the future haha.