GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What did you do to your mk7 today?

projectTVMK7

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 Audi A3
I hate to spend $$$ at an indie shop when the car only has 3,400 miles under warranty (9 months old).

I'd take it to another dealer.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.
I said, who designs a car that makes the EPC light come on for going to 6,00rpm. My 2011 Cayman S can bounce off of the rev limiter without turning any lights on. I'm not sure if I should try another dealer, ask to talk to the Zone Rep or try to contact VW directly.

It's definitely something else going on. The sole reason wasn't just that it was redlined. I've never heard of anybody complaining about epc lights from redlining and I've been on gti forums for a long time. I'm tuned, so my rev limiter is increased and I've bounced off it a few times without any problems. People take these cars to 7k all the time and we're not tripping lights doing it.

trapper14

It's definitely something else going on. The sole reason wasn't just that it was redlined. I've never heard of anybody complaining about epc lights from redlining and I've been on gti forums for a long time. I'm tuned, so my rev limiter is increased and I've bounced off it a few times without any problems. People take these cars to 7k all the time and we're not tripping lights doing it.
Thanks, I think I'll call another dealer to verify.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Thanks, I think I'll call another dealer to verify.

The EPC light shouldn't come on just because you took it to redline. The reason for an EPC light is very tricky to diagnose because there's several possible causes.

q74

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
R
you can bounce off the rev limiter all day without epc. it's not likely very good for the longevity, but it won't/shouldn't throw an epc.

only exception is overspeed, that will throw a code, though in not sure if it throws an epc light

trapper14

you can bounce off the rev limiter all day without epc. it's not likely very good for the longevity, but it won't/shouldn't throw an epc.

only exception is overspeed, that will throw a code, though in not sure if it throws an epc light
I let the DSG shift at 6,000rpm and was doing about 55mph. I'm going to try to contact the service manager (don't expect anything from him), then try another dealer or try to contact VW of A.

Reactions: q74

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
They said the mechanic took a test drive and it happened to him also. I can't believe that they all do that. I'm not sure who to call next.
Haha, thier reasoning was “you took it to red line that’s why it happened, don’t do that” then they proceed to test it by going to redline 😂😂

Also I’ve hit the rev limiter while the car was stock,jb4,AP tuned (7k) and none of those times my EPC went off... that dealer is being lazy with diagnosis, sure I don’t doubt that at the high rpm the epc is getting popped but it’s not based on the rpm, it’s based on what’s ever wrong doesn’t fail till it’s at that high RPM and under stress.

Reactions: q74

projectTVMK7

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 Audi A3
Worth the watch, as is the build bio

Craziest thing was that jump at 150 mph! I can't even imagine what it would feel like getting airborne at that speed!

nok513

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 VW GTI S
Installed BFI Stage 1 Dog bone mount insert. Went for a short drive last night and noticed the expected NVH right away. I felt it as soon as the car idled down after warming up and stopped at traffic lights. Almost feels like the car is going to stall. Once I had the fan blowing, it stopped vibrating as much when sitting idle, but felt it slightly when taking off from a start. The car feels a bit more refined/solid when changing gears, no excessive jerks. If it wasn't for the NVH, the feel would almost be perfect. Hopefully, it the NVH will settle after break in, but so far I'm not regretting it.

IMG_20201208_173020_01.jpg

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Installed BFI Stage 1 Dog bone mount insert. Went for a short drive last night and noticed the expected NVH right away. I felt it as soon as the car idled down after warming up and stopped at traffic lights. Almost feels like the car is going to stall. Once I had the fan blowing, it stopped vibrating as much when sitting idle, but felt it slightly when taking off from a start. The car feels a bit more refined/solid when changing gears, no excessive jerks. If it wasn't for the NVH, the feel would almost be perfect. Hopefully, it the NVH will settle after break in, but so far I'm not regretting it.

View attachment 195500

Others say that the vibration does settle in a bit.
Idle speed when the fan isn't on should be a little higher.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
I've heard too many cases of mount inserts causing the OEM mount to snap under high torque for me to consider that mod. Without the room for the mount to flex, it can snap causing the engine to ram forward, leading to all sorts of damage. I'm sure it's a rare occurrence, but slight benefits of the mount insert don't outweight the potential catastrophic downside to me. My opinion is, if you want to do an insert, upgrade the mount as well.