GOLFMKV

What did you do to your mk7 today?

AdamSheikh

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
15 GTI | 24 RS 3

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
Same happened to me today, hit an underwater pothole, made a small gash in the tire and it chipped the rim a little. Tire was holding air, so went to the dealer, since it's just around the corner where I was at and after they looked at it, they said that gash is fine, since the side wall is the toughest part of the tire....ok hope so...

The entire tire is designed to work together so one part is not necessarily stronger than the other. However the tread and belt location form a very tough package. The bead areas are also tough as they handle a lot of load sitting on rim. The sidewalls are the thinnest part of tire and have to be such as they flex the most and dissipate heat. Being thin in this location there may be 5mm or less rubber in sidewall location before you get down to nylon cords. I would inspect the cut closely and see how deep it is. Can you see any cords at bottom of cut?
When you inspect cut do not use a sharp object or knife. You do not want to do any more damage and puncture tire. If cut is 4mm deep or you can see cords I would get second opinion on tire. If the cut is more up by shoulder or edge of tread then a shallow cut may not be to bad as this is a thick location. As the sidewalls flex a lot, a small cut could grow over time from cracking.

If you ever have a cut or hole down to the steel cords, get it checked and fixed. If water gets to the steel cords the water will soak into and run up the cords inside the tire. Over time they will rust and cause tire to come apart. At high speeds this will not end good.

jshwon

Ready to race!
Tint added

BxGTI

Go Kart Champion
Cleaned out the boot, decided to experiment by relocating the cargo blocks to the hidden cargo area using an old cover from another car, trimmed to fit and bingo, it came out nice!!!!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 1,786
Last edited:

modena

No Shame, and Rebel too..
Car(s)
VW Golf MKV
P3 gauge and Seat belt holders.

Attachments

• IMG_0401.jpg