GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What did you do to your mk7 today?

19GTI

Car(s)
2019 GTI DSG
Klii Motorwerkes steering wheel badge insert. Plaid is a nice touch.
Screen Shot 2021-08-23 at 9.56.22 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-08-23 at 9.56.35 PM.png

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
How was the install? Just remove the hose then the adapter? Loose a lot of coolant?
It was more involved than i would have liked. I had to remove the intake (i run oem) to get to two bolts fastening the metal coolant rail to the engine block (maybe not necessary, but it made it easier to manipulate the rail). I also removed the heat shield between the turbo and the engine (4 bolts).
The biggest pain was detaching the hose. The clamp is very tight, and i only have basic and needle nose pliers. It took me a whiiile to pull the clamp loose and pull the hose off the nipple. Upon reassembly i didn't reuse the oem clamp, but used a worm clamp instead.

I lost about a liter of coolant. Becayse i'm stupid and got tge bright idea to pop the expansion tank (don't ask). Throw some towels under and you'll be fine.

When you start the engine after the procedure, don't be surprised by the coolant vapor if some coolant got on the turbo -- it evaporates very quickly.

CaptainRatty

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
The is38 is in. While they were in there, I had them replace the coolant flange that @anotero shows pictured here with the billet replacement. My initial impressions of the is38 are similar to what everyone else says about going this route... A little loss of low end in exchange for a whole lot more up top. First logs were sent to EQT for the custom tune. Here we go!

tempImage7Op1u9.png

Last edited:

Daks

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI PP
It was more involved than i would have liked. I had to remove the intake (i run oem) to get to two bolts fastening the metal coolant rail to the engine block (maybe not necessary, but it made it easier to manipulate the rail). I also removed the heat shield between the turbo and the engine (4 bolts).
The biggest pain was detaching the hose. The clamp is very tight, and i only have basic and needle nose pliers. It took me a whiiile to pull the clamp loose and pull the hose off the nipple. Upon reassembly i didn't reuse the oem clamp, but used a worm clamp instead.

I lost about a liter of coolant. Becayse i'm stupid and got tge bright idea to pop the expansion tank (don't ask). Throw some towels under and you'll be fine.

When you start the engine after the procedure, don't be surprised by the coolant vapor if some coolant got on the turbo -- it evaporates very quickly.
What is this that you did?

CaptainRatty

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
The is38 is in. While they were in there, I had them replace the coolant flange that @anotero shows pictured here with the billet replacement. My impressions of the is38 are similar to what everyone else says about going this route... A little loss of low end in exchange for a whole lot more up top. First logs were sent to EQT for the custom tune. Here we go!

View attachment 223549

Jealous Matt. I'm sub'd to what you see and how the logging goes.....are you updating a journal with this?

CaptainRatty

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
Jealous Matt. I'm sub'd to what you see and how the logging goes.....are you updating a journal with this?
I wish I had started a journal years ago... In retrospect, it would have been cool to have the story of the car journaled chronologically here. Maybe if I have some time I'll go back and collect the photos and write one up. I've gone down the modding rabbit hole, but unlike most folks here, admittedly I have a basic skill set (although I'm improving and trying new things now) when it comes to anything mechanical so I often have to rely on individuals or indy shops... It could be a useful read for a rookie to learn from my mistakes, things to look out for, etc.

Unfortunately, I've had mostly sub-par experiences for one reason or another at a few of the shops in NC, and I've been to all of them from the one with the huge YouTube presence to the one that makes the engine and transmission mounts that are most often recommended... Flat rate sucks and leads to careless/ lazy errors like this most recent one (zero clearance between the V-band and cross brace.)

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
What is this that you did?
It's an adapter in the engine block that connects to the coolant return rail (connects to the expansion tank). It was leaking (can see wet dirt next to it). When i pulled it out there was a broken flange next to the o-ring, letting coolant seep through.

Daks

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI PP
I wish I had started a journal years ago... In retrospect, it would have been cool to have the story of the car journaled chronologically here. Maybe if I have some time I'll go back and collect the photos and write one up. I've gone down the modding rabbit hole, but unlike most folks here, admittedly I have a basic skill set (although I'm improving and trying new things now) when it comes to anything mechanical so I often have to rely on individuals or indy shops... It could be a useful read for a rookie to learn from my mistakes, things to look out for, etc.

Unfortunately, I've had mostly sub-par experiences for one reason or another at a few of the shops in NC, and I've been to all of them from the one with the huge YouTube presence to the one that makes the engine and transmission mounts that are most often recommended... Flat rate sucks and leads to careless/ lazy errors like this most recent one (zero clearance between the V-band and cross brace.)
I hear you man - I started to turn wrenches on my old Honda and through the years just gathered a bunch of tools that I use to this day. At the end of the day, it's just nuts and bolts.

Daks

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI PP
It's an adapter in the engine block that connects to the coolant return rail (connects to the expansion tank). It was leaking (can see wet dirt next to it). When i pulled it out there was a broken flange next to the o-ring, letting coolant seep through.
How long did it take?