GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What did you do to your mk7 today?

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
Don't get the wrong idea, I love the F-16! I separated from the military when they took me off of it to put me on the A-10. The A-10 is amazing in it's own right but it felt like a step backwards from the F-16 as opposed to moving forward to something like the F-35.

I was appalled when I got in business aviation and learned they had planes built in 2010 that weren't fly by wire o_O.

Lol. Military aviation spoils people. At tge same time I'm amazed by some manufacturing practices on the JSF -- feels like stone age.

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
Aviation quality standards are excellent, what he was complaining about is engineering tends to forget shit breaks and needs to be accessible on a fully assembled aircraft for repair/replacement during its lifecycle.

For instance almost everything on this CFM-56 is easily accessible, where a V2500 (both are used on the same A320 airframe) is a nightmare due to poor engineering in that aspect.

For instance both engines use the same IDG, but mounted on a V2500 it takes 3x the labor to R&R.

Cuz no one thinks beyond their discipline. Having worked in design and MRB, and interfaced with Stress, M&P, and other disciplines, a lot of them seem to forget anything else beyond what they do matters.

IanCH

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'20 GTI
Interior is effectively finished, still need to install the Burger pedal booster its just sitting in my glovebox.

20201206_113430.jpg

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Cuz no one thinks beyond their discipline. Having worked in design and MRB, and interfaced with Stress, M&P, and other disciplines, a lot of them seem to forget anything else beyond what they do matters.

Pretty important step to miss, since a $110 million dollar aircraft isn’t disposable lol.

That’s why when I do R&D I put a lot of thought into all of the other elements like longevity, installation, adjustments/alignment, and packaging (how each piece of my TBE is smaller than the largest piece, the axle back portion) so it’ll ship in the smallest box possible without excessive clamps.

In many cases it’s just little tiny flaws in the design that could’ve been easily avoided had the engineering team took a prototype out to the aircraft and watched it being R&R in a line environment rather than just saying good enough when it fits in the allotted space. Even more important seeing how things actually work once they’ve had some hours put on them in their environment rather than just in a CAD model.

Prime examples of these overlooks are the AWE SAG hanger, ECS & ARM FMIC (more chafe damage), and more recently the IE V1 intake. Having a exhaust that drags on the ground or a intake that gets chafed to the point of failure of it and nearby components could have been caught with proper R&D, but instead the parts went straight from drafting to production (over confidence/lack of practical experience on the engineers part).

IanCH

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'20 GTI
Love that interior! Goals for my interior. How do you like that shift knob?

Thanks!

The shift knob is really good looking but I wish it had a slightly better design. I don't have any functional issues with it and I installed it right but there is a little bit of rotational slop that bothers me. Most of the time I am using the paddles anyway so its alright.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Nothing as exciting as what you guys have been doing, but

Rs7 plugs
Apr coils (blue were on backorder, but no one going to see them)
Mst turbo inlet (was going to dyno with and without, but dyno won't let you in the dyno area, so they would have to unstrap, remove it, then install turbo inlet...basically can't be bothered)

Big difference in size between stock and MST, but they both narrow down to same size where connects to turbo, so not sure how it'll make a difference. I've seen the flow data, but whatever.
20201206_115741.jpg
20201206_115718.jpg

APR Coils
20201206_113517.jpg

Old plugs
20201206_110721.jpg

HstephenG

Go Kart Champion
Installed the front Eurocode Strut Brace this morning.
Was pretty easy overall, albeit tight for my large hands (I didn't removed the wipers and plastic trim/gutter).
Only issue now is that the gutter/trim on the right side of the car is not sitting flush against the bottom of the windshield. Probably 1/4" gap - closer in the middle and wider near the side.
I think I can figure it out but have to run to work now so will see later / this week. Anyone else have this issue? Any tips?

IMG_2767.jpg

Last edited:

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Nothing as exciting as what you guys have been doing, but

Rs7 plugs
Apr coils (blue were on backorder, but no one going to see them)
Mst turbo inlet (was going to dyno with and without, but dyno won't let you in the dyno area, so they would have to unstrap, remove it, then install turbo inlet...basically can't be bothered)

Big difference in size between stock and MST, but they both narrow down to same size where connects to turbo, so not sure how it'll make a difference. I've seen the flow data, but whatever.
View attachment 195205View attachment 195206

APR Coils
View attachment 195207

Old plugs
View attachment 195208

Old plugs looked very good.

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
Pretty important step to miss, since a $110 million dollar aircraft isn’t disposable lol.

That’s why when I do R&D I put a lot of thought into all of the other elements like longevity, installation, adjustments/alignment, and packaging (how each piece of my TBE is smaller than the largest piece, the axle back portion) so it’ll ship in the smallest box possible without excessive clamps.

In many cases it’s just little tiny flaws in the design that could’ve been easily avoided had the engineering team took a prototype out to the aircraft and watched it being R&R in a line environment rather than just saying good enough when it fits in the allotted space. Even more important seeing how things actually work once they’ve had some hours put on them in their environment rather than just in a CAD model.

Prime examples of these overlooks are the AWE SAG hanger, ECS & ARM FMIC (more chafe damage), and more recently the IE V1 intake. Having a exhaust that drags on the ground or a intake that gets chafed to the point of failure of it and nearby components could have been caught with proper R&D, but instead the parts went straight from drafting to production (over confidence/lack of practical experience on the engineers part).

Because most people are not taught to think globally. Tunnel vision at its best.

IanCH

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'20 GTI
Where did you get the airbag light cover with GTI written on it?

Bought it from vinylmod

Theres still the faintest (like really hard to see) glow from the light at night, but I will pull the piece and put some tape/sugru on the back sometime.

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
Bought it from vinylmod

Theres still the faintest (like really hard to see) glow from the light at night, but I will pull the piece and put some tape/sugru on the back sometime.

Not a problem for me: I took the light apart and blocked it off with electrical tape on the inside -- no glow at all. But the placement of that "GTI" is damn near perfect. Will order.

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
Installed the front Eurocode Strut Brace this morning.
Was pretty easy overall, albeit tight for my large hands (I didn't removed the wipers and plastic trim/gutter).
Only issue now is that the gutter/trim on the right side of the car is not sitting flush against the bottom of the windshield. Probably 1/4" gap - closer in the middle and wider near the side.
I think I can figure it out but have to run to work now so will see later / this week. Anyone else have this issue? Any tips?

View attachment 195210
Check the make sure you also pushed the tray in (toward the windshield) to seat it if you fully popped it off rather than loosening the front.

Edit: Also check that you reset the foam piece on that side so the tray isn't resting on top of it.

Last edited:

Will_

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI S DSG
Headed up to Tahoe yesterday for a quick ski day. Thankfully outdoor recreation is still allowed in CA.
712092F5-3F9D-4C52-8A73-AD9D9B911AFA.jpeg
21EA89F7-8E8F-403B-AE25-1C7E1A251D84.jpeg

Also, suspected my passenger side front end links were loose so checked up on that and tightened them as best I could. We’ll see if it fixes the noise I’m getting. Also gave me an excuse to try out the new impact gun. Man, why didn’t I buy one of these earlier. They’re so nice.
691A022E-02A7-4922-B2AD-10F1BD670533.jpeg