imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
If they had them in the USA.... AMG A45 S
1600368784329.png

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
The first gen was just a terrible car. A friend had a CLA45 for a few months and got rid of it. Awful lag, awful transmission, awful suspension. Reminded me very much of a friend's F355 with the terrible F1 transmission. It was fun at 10/10ths, but absolutely useless acting like a normal car.

I've heard the new ones are supposed to be a little better, and the transmission greatly improved, but they're also very tight inside, even the GLA45 is smaller in the hatch than a GTI.

JC_451

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
The first gen was just a terrible car. A friend had a CLA45 for a few months and got rid of it. Awful lag, awful transmission, awful suspension. Reminded me very much of a friend's F355 with the terrible F1 transmission. It was fun at 10/10ths, but absolutely useless acting like a normal car.

I've heard the new ones are supposed to be a little better, and the transmission greatly improved, but they're also very tight inside, even the GLA45 is smaller in the hatch than a GTI.
But...that aero

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion

Darn. Swing and a miss lol. They're pretty slick looking cars and have impressive specs

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
Darn. Swing and a miss lol. They're pretty slick looking cars and have impressive specs
Find one at CarMax and give it a go. Report back. They're hilarious at full tilt, but feel like my old Eclipse GS-T waiting on the turbo to join the party if you're just trying to jump into a spot in traffic. And the transmission seems designed to work exactly opposite of whatever your intentions are.

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
Find one at CarMax and give it a go. Report back. They're hilarious at full tilt, but feel like my old Eclipse GS-T waiting on the turbo to join the party if you're just trying to jump into a spot in traffic. And the transmission seems designed to work exactly opposite of whatever your intentions are.
They don't sell them in the US unfortunately. Based on looks and specs alone this is one of my "realistic dream cars".

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
$20K for a 13 year old Subaru that comes with a rebuilt motor--just not installed. Should be easy to enough to sell the wife on that 🤣
AHAHAHAHA.....I have always been a lurker there after owning a 2007 WRX......Subies almost never lose value, but sometimes they're just outrageous. Fozzies are becoming hard to find, especially in that body. That with a built motor? Awww yeah!

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
They don't sell them in the US unfortunately. Based on looks and specs alone this is one of my "realistic dream cars".
The CLA is the same thing without the hatch and the GLA is the same thing with a two inch lift. Think of it like the RS3 hatch vs the sedan and the RS Q3.

CDM MK7

Ready to race!
In a similar boat to the OP. Son was just born, child seats are huge, and with the stroller in the trunk of the GTI with the diaper bag there's literally no room for anything else. Need something bigger, still fun to drive, and decently priced.

I still haven't moved on anything yet, but I did go drive a Kia Stinger GT2 and absolutely loved it. You might be able to find them lightly used in your price range (I'm Canadian so our market is a little different). It's a sportback like the A5 (similar in overall size, too) and the usable trunk space is enormous and easy to access. Auto-lift rear hatch should be a lifesaver with balancing kid/groceries/etc. The car is FAST, and hugely fun to drive. Obviously AWD and bigger, so not the chuckable nature of the GTI, but gobs of torque and as quick as a Golf R from a dig. Interior is spacious and very nice, tons of amenities, great seats, great audio, and a great looking car IMO. Very long warranty as well. It's a KIA, I get it, but they're easy to de/re-badge if it bothers you.

Go drive one. You might be as surprised as I was. Seriously considering it.