GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What comes after the GTI?

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
In a similar boat to the OP. Son was just born, child seats are huge, and with the stroller in the trunk of the GTI with the diaper bag there's literally no room for anything else. Need something bigger, still fun to drive, and decently priced.

I still haven't moved on anything yet, but I did go drive a Kia Stinger GT2 and absolutely loved it. You might be able to find them lightly used in your price range (I'm Canadian so our market is a little different). It's a sportback like the A5 (similar in overall size, too) and the usable trunk space is enormous and easy to access. Auto-lift rear hatch should be a lifesaver with balancing kid/groceries/etc. The car is FAST, and hugely fun to drive. Obviously AWD and bigger, so not the chuckable nature of the GTI, but gobs of torque and as quick as a Golf R from a dig. Interior is spacious and very nice, tons of amenities, great seats, great audio, and a great looking car IMO. Very long warranty as well. It's a KIA, I get it, but they're easy to de/re-badge if it bothers you.

Go drive one. You might be as surprised as I was. Seriously considering it.
Wow! Never knew they had that option......interior should be similar to Audi since Audi's main interior designer works for KIA.

Hotsky

Ready to race!
I have 2 kids myself one is 8 months old. Wife and I both have a Golf but hers is an older one. It's not ideal driving with your seat a little too forward than you'd like it too and having to stuff in the buggy in the hatch that doesn't want to fit lol. I've actually been looking at 4Runners. Tons of room, last forever with no turbos or GDI, easy to work on and build like a tank ...kinda drives like one too :censored: but i still want one.