GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What are you drinking?

oddspyke

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI, 2018 ZL1
Gotta steer this thread back to some good whiskey discussion. Currently in the cabinet, from left to right Lagavulin 16 year, Jura Superstition, Green Spot, Corsair Triple Smoke, Laphroaig 10 year, Basil Hayden Dark Rye, Glenmorangie 10 year, Bulleit Rye, Balvenie Single Barrel 15 year, Highland Park 12 year, Highland Park Dark Origins. Share your recommendations if you have similar tastes and feel free to ask if you're curious about any of them!

Obsrvr

Ready to race!
Gotta steer this thread back to some good whiskey discussion. Currently in the cabinet, from left to right Lagavulin 16 year, Jura Superstition, Green Spot, Corsair Triple Smoke, Laphroaig 10 year, Basil Hayden Dark Rye, Glenmorangie 10 year, Bulleit Rye, Balvenie Single Barrel 15 year, Highland Park 12 year, Highland Park Dark Origins. Share your recommendations if you have similar tastes and feel free to ask if you're curious about any of them!

No way I'm qualified to even ask an intelligent question on your whiskies. A decade ago Jack Daniels was on my table, which is as close to your world as I've gotten, however far that is.

For what is sitting on your table in terms of $$, I could buy a nice carbon fiber intake for my GTI :) but that is a crude thought, I suppose...there are other things in life besides car parts.

Compliments to your photo! The Classy B&W is fitting, as is your decor. Perhaps some whiskymen on the forum will engage you, so the rest of us can read and learn.

FriskyDingo

Ready to race!

I want to buy a good Islay that won't break the bank- $70-80?- and it is maybe just a bit on the milder side compared to some other Islays.

Any recommendations?

oddspyke

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI, 2018 ZL1
I want to buy a good Islay that won't break the bank- $70-80?- and it is maybe just a bit on the milder side compared to some other Islays.

Any recommendations?

By milder, do you mean less peat (smokiness)? If so, Bruladdich is probably the way to go since it's one of the few unpeated islay scotches. Highland Park is not technically islay (it's from Orkney) but it's very similar in style and peated, but only lightly and it's one of my favorites. As for price, get the highest age statement that comes in under budget, typically a 12 to 16 year depending on your location and what's available.

Keep away from Lagavulin, Ardbeg, and Laphroaig if you prefer milder whiskey, they're wonderful Islay whiskey, but very strongly flavored with lots of peat and oak.

FriskyDingo

Ready to race!
By milder, do you mean less peat (smokiness)? If so, Bruladdich is probably the way to go since it's one of the few unpeated islay scotches. Highland Park is not technically islay (it's from Orkney) but it's very similar in style and peated, but only lightly and it's one of my favorites. As for price, get the highest age statement that comes in under budget, typically a 12 to 16 year depending on your location and what's available.

Keep away from Lagavulin, Ardbeg, and Laphroaig if you prefer milder whiskey, they're wonderful Islay whiskey, but very strongly flavored with lots of peat and oak.

I can deal with a decent amount of smoke, as I love mezcal, but I have had one or two that, though they didn't turn me away, were a little on the intense side from what I was told by my drinking partners at the time. So basically anything that's not on that end of the spectrum. I wish I could remember the brand. I know it was a green bottle, and I believe a 12 yr.

Joel

Ready to race!
^
Blanton's is awesome!

Having a few Sierra Nevada Pale Ales tonight.

-Dutch-

Drag Race Newbie
Oh, Lagavulin... wonderful, wonderful Lagavulin...

I've only ever had it at a couple of work holiday parties (free drinks), but it was the best whiskey I've ever had.

-Dutch-

Drag Race Newbie
I save my empties if it's something I'd buy again. Here's a sample from the last couple of years.

oddspyke

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI, 2018 ZL1
I don't want to turn this into a boring dissertation on whiskey, so I'll spare the details, but bourbon, American whiskey, rye and scotch are all very unique and differ due to climate and grain bill for the most part, but also what wood they're aged in. I pretty much like them all, all for different reasons. They're kind of like wine in that they represent their origins in their flavor. The best advice I can offer to someone new is find one whiskey you like, find out the grain bill (a simple Google search usually) then seek out whiskey with a similar grain bill from another distiller. It's a safe way to try new things without running the chance that you'll blow $50 or more on something you don't like.