GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What are you drinking?

Obsrvr

Ready to race!
Glad I could help.

As for the last bit, you like what you like. I'm confident you will notice the improvement of quality, nose, and taste of the Altos over what you've had. That said, it may come to find it's flavor profile not to your liking.

I've had several brands and expressions that though I know they are high quality and well-made, didn't really wow me.

Last night, poured 2 oz of Olmeca, and 1 oz of MV (Margaritaville). Results were the Olmeca is much smoother, and a more pure citrus taste- Aha! So THAT'S what Aguave taste like. As with a good stereo speaker, it gets out of the way and lets the music shine thru. MV covers over the authentic taste. All it does is offer the bite and alcohol flavor, plus a sort of fake sweet cover. The Olmeca is obviously more authentic.

One strange and unexpected reaction from the Olmeca is from my wife. While a lightweight, she can usually sip an ounce of MV with no issues. However, she joined me in the Olmeca, sipping not more than 1/2 ounce, and said the flavor was too strong for her. 10 minutes after that, she was feeling sick. 10 minutes after that she was asleep. She woke up this morning with a left-over upset stomach, swearing off Olmeca forever. I consider that an additional benefit, since it will mean more Olmeca for me. I will donate the nearly-full bottle of MV to her. We can still sip, side-by-side, just different labels. :)

FriskyDingo

Ready to race!
Last night, poured 2 oz of Olmeca, and 1 oz of MV (Margaritaville). Results were the Olmeca is much smoother, and a more pure citrus taste- Aha! So THAT'S what Aguave taste like. As with a good stereo speaker, it gets out of the way and lets the music shine thru. MV covers over the authentic taste. All it does is offer the bite and alcohol flavor, plus a sort of fake sweet cover. The Olmeca is obviously more authentic.

One strange and unexpected reaction from the Olmeca is from my wife. While a lightweight, she can usually sip an ounce of MV with no issues. However, she joined me in the Olmeca, sipping not more than 1/2 ounce, and said the flavor was too strong for her. 10 minutes after that, she was feeling sick. 10 minutes after that she was asleep. She woke up this morning with a left-over upset stomach, swearing off Olmeca forever. I consider that an additional benefit, since it will mean more Olmeca for me. I will donate the nearly-full bottle of MV to her. We can still sip, side-by-side, just different labels. :)

Did you buy blanco, or another expression? Margaritaville isn't even 100% agave, so as you did, you should notice a massive difference in taste and finish.

The agave is very present in Olmeca Altos's product. Everyone's description varies of course, but to me the agave is a slightly sweet, almost floral vegetal flavor. There is some fruitiness/citrus presence, as well.

If you like the agave, you absolutely HAVE to find a bottle of Maracame plata (blanco). It has probably the most vivid agave notes I've experienced. Explosive flavor.

As for why she got sick, I can offer no explanation for that. There should be nothing exclusive to that brand that would have made her sick, but not other tequila brands. I can't imagine it was anything other the tequila taste triggered something that had already been consumed, but who knows.

At any rate, now that you have seen the light, you have embarked on a great journey of taste and exploration! Tequila is a booming market, and it's a great time to be getting into it with how prevalent high quality, but affordable stuff is becoming. Salud.

FriskyDingo

Ready to race!
Also, if you are going to sip it, make sure you get some good glassware. A small brandy snifter, or champagne/wine glass is ideal, but you can experiment. I like to use stemless Riedels. The shape of the glass greatly impacts what you smell, and therefore taste.

Sounds crazy, but good stuff doesn't taste the same when sipped out of a shot glass as it does a nice glass.

Obsrvr

Ready to race!
Also, if you are going to sip it, make sure you get some good glassware. A small brandy snifter, or champagne/wine glass is ideal, but you can experiment. I like to use stemless Riedels. The shape of the glass greatly impacts what you smell, and therefore taste.

Sounds crazy, but good stuff doesn't taste the same when sipped out of a shot glass as it does a nice glass.

The Olmeca I bought was the light brown Reposado. I've always liked that a bit more than blanco. Then again, I haven't yet drank a really fine blanco. As for my wife, she has a couple of food allergies anyway, so I'm never too surprised when she gets a reaction from something. I probably shouldn't have even mentioned it. She still wants to try some other tequilas, a step up in quality and price from Olmeca, as do I. FriskyDingo, you have created a Monster!!

Note to self: It's "Agave", not "Aguave".

Yes, good call on the glassware. I knew it helped wine, but didn't consider it with the tequila. Probably because cheap tequila doesn't care as much. Also, it's fun to do "shots". But now I must put such a juvenile attitude behind me, for I have stepped up, at least one notch. Maybe one more step and I'll be able to drink with the Gentlemen, who sit in large rooms of overstuffed leather chairs, and fine cigars. You would already be comfortable in such establishments. Except they may not serve tequila in those places, only 12+ year whiskies!

That app is overwhelming. I had no idea the amount of fine drink being created. Salud to you too, Sir!

Joel

Ready to race!
Was sipping on some Glenfiddich Age of Discovery Bourbon Cask 19 Year with my father.
My brother gave it to him for Christmas.
Pretty good stuff... almost no bite or aftertaste.
Enjoyed it.

FriskyDingo

Ready to race!
The Olmeca I bought was the light brown Reposado. I've always liked that a bit more than blanco. Then again, I haven't yet drank a really fine blanco. As for my wife, she has a couple of food allergies anyway, so I'm never too surprised when she gets a reaction from something. I probably shouldn't have even mentioned it. She still wants to try some other tequilas, a step up in quality and price from Olmeca, as do I. FriskyDingo, you have created a Monster!!

Note to self: It's "Agave", not "Aguave".

Yes, good call on the glassware. I knew it helped wine, but didn't consider it with the tequila. Probably because cheap tequila doesn't care as much. Also, it's fun to do "shots". But now I must put such a juvenile attitude behind me, for I have stepped up, at least one notch. Maybe one more step and I'll be able to drink with the Gentlemen, who sit in large rooms of overstuffed leather chairs, and fine cigars. You would already be comfortable in such establishments. Except they may not serve tequila in those places, only 12+ year whiskies!

That app is overwhelming. I had no idea the amount of fine drink being created. Salud to you too, Sir!

Ah, so you went with the reposado. I personally think it is the star of their lineup. It's my go-to for Bloody Marias- a Bloody Mary with reposado in place of the vodka. I use it for my margaritas usually, as well.

If you like reposados, another good value buy is Pueblo Viejo. If you want to step up from the Altos level, both the Maracame and Pasote brands I mentioned in my last post have great reposados. Again, around 40-45 bucks. And if you can find some ArteNOM 1414, it's a little more- usually in the $50 range, but it is truly outstanding. So is Fortaleza's reposado.

And a good cigar does pair very well with a nice reposado or anejo tequila. Give it a try some time! ;)

Obsrvr

Ready to race!
Ah, so you went with the reposado. I personally think it is the star of their lineup. It's my go-to for Bloody Marias- a Bloody Mary with reposado in place of the vodka. I use it for my margaritas usually, as well.

If you like reposados, another good value buy is Pueblo Viejo. If you want to step up from the Altos level, both the Maracame and Pasote brands I mentioned in my last post have great reposados. Again, around 40-45 bucks. And if you can find some ArteNOM 1414, it's a little more- usually in the $50 range, but it is truly outstanding. So is Fortaleza's reposado.

And a good cigar does pair very well with a nice reposado or anejo tequila. Give it a try some time! ;)

Tonight the Olmeca was sipped from a proper glass. Wow, what a difference! It was far more flavorful and balanced than in the shot glass. This tequila is the perfect choice for an all-round quality sipping and mixing stock. I can see why it is your "go-to".

Might put Maracame Anejo on the list. Got to see what the next level is like, at least for special occasions. Probably should find a good bar in town to really taste a variety of tequilas. It would save time and money, if I can find a bar that stocks the right selection of mid to high end.

I am keeping notes of the brands you mention.

oddspyke

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI, 2018 ZL1
I would highly recommend a glencairn glass set for everyone drinking liquor of any type straight. I'm a whiskey/bourbon/scotch/rye person myself, but they would lend themselves well to any liquor in my opinion. They minimize air contact and direct the aromas to your nose, all while looking great. I don't drink tequila much, but I bet they would serve the purpose just as well.

Obsrvr

Ready to race!
I would highly recommend a glencairn glass set for everyone drinking liquor of any type straight. I'm a whiskey/bourbon/scotch/rye person myself, but they would lend themselves well to any liquor in my opinion. They minimize air contact and direct the aromas to your nose, all while looking great. I don't drink tequila much, but I bet they would serve the purpose just as well.

Thank you for adding another choice of glass. I can see now the importance of it. And they look better for spirits- much more than a teacup, or whatever is available :rolleyes:

Mk5Dom

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2.0 TDI CRBC

Mk5Dom

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2.0 TDI CRBC

FriskyDingo

Ready to race!
Tonight the Olmeca was sipped from a proper glass. Wow, what a difference! It was far more flavorful and balanced than in the shot glass. This tequila is the perfect choice for an all-round quality sipping and mixing stock. I can see why it is your "go-to".

Might put Maracame Anejo on the list. Got to see what the next level is like, at least for special occasions. Probably should find a good bar in town to really taste a variety of tequilas. It would save time and money, if I can find a bar that stocks the right selection of mid to high end.

I am keeping notes of the brands you mention.

Where are you located? Finding a bar with a good tequila selection is very helpful in allowing you refine your palate and figure out the flavor profiles you like most. As you said, it is much cheaper than buying a bottle, and it gives you a chance to taste many back-to-back. Good Mexican restaurants usually have a decent selection. You may have luck at more normal bars where you are at, as well. Some places even have tequila/mezcal specific bars. Just know that wherever you go, the bartender is unlikely to know much about what they stock, and won't be much help in making recommendations. It'll be up to you, but that's where that TMM app is so helpful. Just plug the brand name in and see what the ratings are more importantly, how it's made. Stay away from anything cooked with an autoclave if you can, and don't even consider the diffuser-made junk. Good luck!

Yes, this is another very solid and popular option in the tequila community. Thanks.