GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What are the correct settings for JB4 in my situation? (Stock MK7 GTI)

up4speed

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI
One more question... which may steer me towards getting an intercooler depending on the answer, lol

If the car gets too hot on the track and starts to reduce boost, or pull timing, I assume that I would never be in a worse situation than if it was stock without the JB4, right?
I guess I’m essentially asking if, on a hot day, would I be better setting it to Map 0, or is it better to leave Map 1, and whatever happens, happens? I want to get whatever boost I can safely get (with a safety cushion) without putting myself into a slower situation than stock. Is there any situation while using the tune where it would back it off more than it would be when stock?

IanCH

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'20 GTI
Ok so after all that resistance I put up to mod it further.......
Hypothetically speaking of course, if I was to go with an upgraded intercooler, which one would be the best to go with on an otherwise unmodified engine (Other than JB4)?
Are they easy to replace on my own (I'm pretty handy and do all typical maintenance and repairs on my cars, even have a lift in my garage)? Will it retain stock looks and reliability?

There are lots of good options. On my stock car with a jb4 I selected Jake's (gti Jake) Baun FMIC and the install took about 4 hours taking my time with a newborn at home.

A stock location intercooler is a much more involved installation which I did on my golf R. Still worth it but you probably need a helper to do it yourself easily.

20201008_164929.jpg

IanCH

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'20 GTI
The stock ic is not meant for track duty. That's all there is to say, you will heatsoak and it will adversely affect your car, either in the short term or the long term or both. Regardless of being tuned.

No stock parts on a gti are really suitable for track duty, some just suck less than others.

up4speed

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI
OK....you guys are killing me! LOL
I just added an intercooler to my list of mods....but I swear THAT'S IT! :unsure:
OK, so new question now. Assuming I have the intercooler with the JB4 (and 93 oct), what is the best way to proceed?
What is the best setting for the track? Map 1, Map 2 or Map 6 modified? (assuming worst case scenario, so figure 90 degree heat with 25 minute all out sessions?)

SouthFL_Mk7.5

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI S
One more question... which may steer me towards getting an intercooler depending on the answer, lol

If the car gets too hot on the track and starts to reduce boost, or pull timing, I assume that I would never be in a worse situation than if it was stock without the JB4, right?
I guess I’m essentially asking if, on a hot day, would I be better setting it to Map 0, or is it better to leave Map 1, and whatever happens, happens? I want to get whatever boost I can safely get (with a safety cushion) without putting myself into a slower situation than stock. Is there any situation while using the tune where it would back it off more than it would be when stock?

If the car pulls timing using Map 1, you will notice it right away. You will be able to resume, go to pit road, change the map to 0 from your phone (the advantage of using Bluetooth connect) then resume your lapping session!

IanCH

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'20 GTI
With just the IC and intake mods (drop in filter, silicone intake pipe, turbo inlet pipe) I can run some pretty aggressive map 6 settings without any adverse effects. But I'm not tracking.

You are going to have to log during your track time to really see your settings. The jb4 has some good default options but the beauty of it is the ability to customize and logging is the only way to do that.

NBMK7GTI

Go Kart Newbie
if you’re concerned about reliability and longevity, an IC should be your priority. These cars can heatsoak on the stock ic, let alone with even a jb4. Do yourself a favor and get an intercooler even if you stick with map 1 to try and mitigate timing pull and enjoy the consistency.

up4speed

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI
if you’re concerned about reliability and longevity, an IC should be your priority. These cars can heatsoak on the stock ic, let alone with even a jb4. Do yourself a favor and get an intercooler even if you stick with map 1 to try and mitigate timing pull and enjoy the consistency.
Thanks! Yep you guys talked me into it, and it's on my list of mods that I will initially do.