GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What are the correct settings for JB4 in my situation? (Stock MK7 GTI)

IanCH

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'20 GTI
I believe you will have to set it back to map1 but I've never actually had it happen. I recommend using the jb4 mobile app and the gauges, it will tell you what's going on and has good features.

SouthFL_Mk7.5

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI S
I have a 100% stock (engine) 2015 non-PP GTI. I was considering the JB4 for a little power boost, but I'm unsure what settings would be safe.
My concern is that I track it, and sometimes it's very hot out as well. I'll typically do 4 or 5 twenty to twenty five minute sessions each day.
For reliability purposes, what setting would work best? I was thinking Map 1, but I have read that someone had heat issues with a JB1 on Map 1 and the car went into limp mode, due to heat build up. He had to remove it to continue racing that day.
If I remember correctly, I think someone recommended that he use Map 6 and alter it, and limit certain values (I have no idea which ones). I just wanted a simple plug and play, or at least set and forget power boost. I am ordering the Bluetooth cable as well, so if Map 6 is necessary, if somebody can describe the exact settings I would need for it to be safe and reliable, I would truly appreciate it! Or if not, please let me know if Map 1 would be perfect for my situation.
Thanks!
I posed this exact question (about track use at HPDE) with George on a light bolt-on close to stock setup and his answer was Map 1 for track days. He did help me set up a maximized Map 6 for whenever I wanted to use it. Around town, I use Map 2 (it’s punchy).

up4speed

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI
I posed this exact question (about track use at HPDE) with George on a light bolt-on close to stock setup and his answer was Map 1 for track days. He did help me set up a maximized Map 6 for whenever I wanted to use it. Around town, I use Map 2 (it’s punchy).
So how was the outcome using the standard map 1? Did you use it on the track on hot days without a problem, doing 20 minute sessions several times per day?
What do you use Map 6 for? If you use it on track days, please explain the benefit over Map 1, or did you change it because you did other mods to the car and it was necessary?
Thanks again!

echelonphoto

Ready to race!
I have a 100% stock (engine) 2015 non-PP GTI. I was considering the JB4 for a little power boost, but I'm unsure what settings would be safe.
My concern is that I track it, and sometimes it's very hot out as well. I'll typically do 4 or 5 twenty to twenty five minute sessions each day.
For reliability purposes, what setting would work best? I was thinking Map 1, but I have read that someone had heat issues with a JB1 on Map 1 and the car went into limp mode, due to heat build up. He had to remove it to continue racing that day.
If I remember correctly, I think someone recommended that he use Map 6 and alter it, and limit certain values (I have no idea which ones). I just wanted a simple plug and play, or at least set and forget power boost. I am ordering the Bluetooth cable as well, so if Map 6 is necessary, if somebody can describe the exact settings I would need for it to be safe and reliable, I would truly appreciate it! Or if not, please let me know if Map 1 would be perfect for my situation.
Thanks!

I don't track, but I have a 17 SE with dsg with low mileage. I got the jb4 and map 1 is quite nice all around. But I contacted george and he gave me some map 6 specs to put in. I am running 93 gas with 2gallons of corn juice added (e25). The map 6 is fairly aggressive, I boost up to 6 psi over stock at mid hi rpms. On a cool day, the car feels extremely fast at times. In summer weather I usually run only map 1 because I don't have an intercooler. The nice part about the bluetooth is you control all these things from your cell phone and can make changes instantly with full monitoring all parameters while driving. A great purchase for the mk7 owner!

SouthFL_Mk7.5

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI S
So how was the outcome using the standard map 1? Did you use it on the track on hot days without a problem, doing 20 minute sessions several times per day?
What do you use Map 6 for? If you use it on track days, please explain the benefit over Map 1, or did you change it because you did other mods to the car and it was necessary?
Thanks again!

I’ve run the car at Sebring (cooler for Florida late Fall weather in the 60’s) and at Homestead last Spring (temps in high 80’s low 90’s) using Map 1. No problems at Sebring. At Homestead I did get some timing pulled about 15 minutes into a couple sessions. Topped off with some race fuel (I forget the octane rating) available at the on site pump and the engine ran fine for the rest of the day during the following two sessions.

I rarely use Map 6. I’m able to dial in +7.9 boost values higher in the rev range with it, but the low end is relatively mild, creating a very smooth acceleration. Map 2 has a bit more punch at the low end and not as high boost on the upper end as my Map 6, therefore I find Map 2 more fun around town. When do I use Map 6? Not often. It’s there if I need it ;)

shovelhd

Autocross Champion
I’ve run the car at Sebring (cooler for Florida late Fall weather in the 60’s) and at Homestead last Spring (temps in high 80’s low 90’s) using Map 1. No problems at Sebring. At Homestead I did get some timing pulled about 15 minutes into a couple sessions. Topped off with some race fuel (I forget the octane rating) available at the on site pump and the engine ran fine for the rest of the day during the following two sessions.

I rarely use Map 6. I’m able to dial in +7.9 boost values higher in the rev range with it, but the low end is relatively mild, creating a very smooth acceleration. Map 2 has a bit more punch at the low end and not as high boost on the upper end as my Map 6, therefore I find Map 2 more fun around town. When do I use Map 6? Not often. It’s there if I need it ;)

My Map 6 is similar to yours. I use it when it's cold out or I'm running e30.

OP, if you get the JB4 with BT, you can monitor your IAT's in real time. That might be helpful on track days.

up4speed

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI
So what I'm gathering is that, I will probably be good on Map 1 most of the time, but if I'm in very hot weather on a track, I will probably need to log it and adjust Map 6 (assuming that I only want to use 93 Oct).
Now the question is, how do I get it hot enough on the street so I can do a log and make adjustments BEFORE I get to the track? LOL

SouthFL_Mk7.5

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI S
So what I'm gathering is that, I will probably be good on Map 1 most of the time, but if I'm in very hot weather on a track, I will probably need to log it and adjust Map 6 (assuming that I only want to use 93 Oct).
Now the question is, how do I get it hot enough on the street so I can do a log and make adjustments BEFORE I get to the track? LOL
If it’s too hot at the track, run Map 0 (factory settings). I don’t see any way to mimic on the street the intensity of sustained revs and heat to log properly and build a map. Only way to do that is to log during laps at the track.

If Map 1 is too much at the lapping day and timing is being pulled, it’s time for more octane (a band aid) or an intercooler upgrade (the correct remedy).

up4speed

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI
If it’s too hot at the track, run Map 0 (factory settings). I don’t see any way to mimic on the street the intensity of sustained revs and heat to log properly and build a map. Only way to do that is to log during laps at the track.

If Map 1 is too much at the lapping day and timing is being pulled, it’s time for more octane (a band aid) or an intercooler upgrade (the correct remedy).
Yeah that's what I was afraid of. I was looking for that little extra boost on the track, without going mod crazy. Therefore, a mild tune. But I'm getting the feeling that in the heat (especially) and maybe even cool days, I will have to run stock mapping unfortunately. Which of course is counter intuitive to what I was trying to accomplish in the first place.

Do you guys think this might be possible? I'm wondering if I can pick a very hot day, beat the car hard, then do a log for George to analyze. And then have him alter Map 6 and build in an additional little buffer (cut a little extra from ideal) since there is no way to duplicate track abuse on the street. Then I could essentially use Map 1 on the street, and Map 6 for the track. Does that sound reasonable?
I know the best answer is to control the heat, etc. But I don't see it as an option at this point. I didn't want to go that route with this car since I don't consider it an ideal track car, and I don't want to spend a lot of money because it snowballs from there. I'm just looking to have fun zipping around the track with a reliable, fairly capable car. Since it's the slowest car I've driven on the track, I just wanted that extra little boost, nothing extreme.

IanCH

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'20 GTI
Just upgrade your intercooler. It's good for your car whether you're stock or using the jb4 and tracking.

up4speed

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Should upgrade IC even on stock tune if you plan to track.
I agree, but I don't want to start the whole modding thing because it never ends. As of now, I just upgraded the brakes, brake fluid, added RS3 ducts (what I consider the minimum for track days). With that setup, I was in the intermediate run group and had the slowest car in the group of 24 cars :mad:, BUT came in mid pack speedwise, so I'm happy about that! Of course everybody knows that the best mod is to tune the nut behind the wheel, lol.

In effort to try to be at the top of the intermediate group (or at least a little closer), I made a Christmas list for my wife that includes a front strut brace, a rear sway bar and Moog end links, and a JB4 w/ bluetooth connector. I REALLY wanted it to end there. I feel like it will have a little more ability, while maintaining reliability, streetability and comfort. I will do my best..... lets see how this unfolds, lol

up4speed

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Just upgrade your intercooler. It's good for your car whether you're stock or using the jb4 and tracking.
Ok so after all that resistance I put up to mod it further.......
Hypothetically speaking of course, if I was to go with an upgraded intercooler, which one would be the best to go with on an otherwise unmodified engine (Other than JB4)?
Are they easy to replace on my own (I'm pretty handy and do all typical maintenance and repairs on my cars, even have a lift in my garage)? Will it retain stock looks and reliability?