GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Wastegate actuator needs replacing?

Jose_Gti

Autocross Newbie
Are these actuators repairable?
I'm talkin out of my ass but I'd say no. I've never heard of anybody repairing them.

Final update: Actuator definitely needed to be replaced, but in the end so did my catalytic converter. My theory (backed by SCIENCE!) is that with the wastegate stuck open, that allowed a ton of air into the exhaust after the turbo. That extra air in the exhaust, which has oxygen (unlike the byproducts of combustion), heated up the cat to the point where all the good stuff that causes the catalytic reaction to burn up, so it didn't actually do anything anymore. Managed to find a replacement APR cat (from a GTI midpipe kit), popped it in last night after work, and was emissions-ready in 10 miles. A frustrating as hell saga, but it's finally over, well over $2k later.

Definitely gotta get that old IS38 sold to soften my expenses a bit....

krvnked

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5
I appreciate you following up on your own problem thread because when I had a p0299 with my mk6, every self help thread I found ended in either no follow up or "I replaced the turbo" or "I went k04" or "I sold the car" and in fact I never solved the problem myself and sold the car because the only answer seemed to be "bad turbo - time to spend 2 grand"