GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Wastegate actuator needs replacing?

Ok, I'm really just looking for confirmation here, and making sure I'm not missing anything obvious. I have VCDS and OBD11, and am pretty good at following youtube videos, but I don't have much experience in diagnosing difficult engine-related issues.

Backstory:
2016 Golf R, stock turbo, APR stage 2 w/ APR DP, no other engine mods.
Can't pass emissions because O2 behind cat is STUCK TOO LEAN.
Voltages on both O2 sensors fluctuate as expected, but S1 and S2 are almost the same voltages at the same time. O2 sensor tests pass.
Smoke-tested exhaust and intake with no leaks.

Brought it to a shop not too far from my work in Atlanta, and after validating all my findings they wanted to flash back to stock to make sure nothing was stuck. Agreed, and nothing changed except I now get a CEL due to the too lean code. They mentioned the next step would probably be to further investigate the P00AF00 (wastegate actuator) code they found. I honestly remember seeing that one time in passing, but it was when I had a bunch of other codes after changing my battery and doing all the VCDS clear/retest stuff to try and get the car emissions ready. Didn't pay much attention to it, but now I'm thinking that's what the problem is.

So I know that with key on / engine off, the wastegate actuator voltage (charge air pressure unconditioned voltage in OBD11) should read 3.5-3.7ish for an ideal value. Mine just shows 1.56 - 1.57. Even manually pulling on the rod (I can move it, takes a decent amount of effort but some of that is the difficult location I'm sure), when I pull it out as far as I can, it's still at the same 1.56-1.57. Unless I'm thinking about it incorrectly, tells me the actuator sensor is shot?

I'm thinking the actuator needs to be replaced, and I have the mambatech MAHLE unit with adaptors in my cart.
Q1 - Anyone with more experience than I disagree with my assessment?
Q2 - I'm not entirely sure I can get at it to replace it myself, but I'd like to try. Big hands, big arms may make it impossible tho. Would certainly prefer to not have to take the turbo off, but not sure that's possible. Will of course be looking for relevant youtube info after posting this msg, but if anyone has thoughts would love to hear them.

I'll probably end up having that same shop (Eurofed Atlanta, because Autobahn Performance has gone straight to hell over the past couple of years) do the actuator swap, but if I can save some money and learn more in the process I'd be a happy squatch.

Any and all advice appreciated!

Diggs24

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
You want this one with VCDS:

1654358179485.png

Pull that one up and start the car. What does voltage do?

Engine on (from cold) - 3.994 v
Turned Engine off - 4.019 v
Turned engine back on - still 4.019, drops to 4.009 when revving

Thanks for the quick response! Based on all your old wastegate posts, I was hoping you'd respond ;)

Pretty sure they didn't touch it. They didn't have it long enough, plus I do remember seeing the P00AF00 code one time a few weeks ago when first starting to figure this crap out, and it hadn't seen a shop in years, all me and my quickjack... Turbo has never been changed/touched by me or anyone else. Only work I've EVER had to do to it engine-wise was have the PCV replaced under warranty a couple of years ago.

Think I should try adjusting the voltage back down to the ideal 3.5-3.7, or does the lack of variation indicate there's no point? I am going to drive it a bit right now to see if the voltage changes while getting into the turbo.....

Diggs24

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
great, thanks. Already have the vice grips, so hopefully i can get my big mitts in there once it cools down.

So the other PID (charge air pressure actuator: unconditioned voltage in VCDS) that I got the 1.5x volts from, totally wrong thing to look at? because the shop told me that was a problem... ugh

Welp, I was able to get it adjusted from 3.99v to 3.5v (the other one I was looking at is always around 1.5-1.6, but I found multiple 'good' logs on the internets where that value was in the same range. Didn't solve the problem. Although, playing with the wastegate actuator arm made me realize that sometimes I just can't move it all, sometimes i can only move it about 1/2", and sometimes I can move it what feels like a full inch or more. I'm leaning towards the motor on the actuator having a broken gear or something... It could be the infamous corrosion at the linkage part, but that really doesn't seem like the problem to me. Plus I've PB Blastered the hell out of it 3 days in a row. It wiggles and rattles a little, but again, sometimes I can move it a little, sometimes I can't move it at all even putting some squatch muscle into it. Really thinking I need to replace that actuator now. Which I'm not looking forward to.

Always looking for other opinions, and I greatly appreciate the help so far!

If you completely undo the rod does it freely move then? Ands at that point does the flapper open and close smoothly?
That's the last thing I was going to check once it cools down....

Thanks for all your help! Although it's a bit troubling that you've been responding within nanoseconds ;)

To follow up because I hate it when people don't post their final results - the wastegate actuator is totally shot. I was able to move it a couple of times, but never smoothly and never a full range of motion. Last time I moved it by hand, the arm just froze and I could never get it to move again. The wastegate itself seems totally fine, so the gears in the motor have to be shot to hell. I'm pretty confident at this point that the wastegate was just never fully closing, letting fresh air go straight through the exhaust and making the 02 sensors see super-lean exhaust.

Only way to buy an actuator right now is to buy a Chinese one which makes me a bit nervous, and on the R you have to pull the whole turbo off to install the actuator. If I was doing the work myself I would have just bought the Chinese actuator to save a lot of $$, but time and energy are at a premium right now so I bought an HPA OEM+ IS38 and got to use the $250 Urotuning.com certificate I won at the WITW raffle in 2021. It was delivered while I was on vacation for the last two weeks (came back home last night), and it's being installed today.

Hopefully when I get the car back tonight or tomorrow this will be the end of my emissions saga...

Thanks Diggs for all the help.

Jose_Gti

Autocross Newbie
Hopefully that's the end of it. Glad you could figure it out.