GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Want to Review an Old Tweak

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
I remember years ago when the "linear acceleration" and "vibration reduction" tweaks were discovered and did the acceleration one. I didn't bother with the vibration one since we have AWD and wheel hop wasn't a consideration, especially with a stock tunes. I was just reading some old posts, and wondering is anyone with an R did it and noticed a difference. And since when did all the formatting option start showing up when you start/edit a thread?

tigeo

Autocross Champion
I remember years ago when the "linear acceleration" and "vibration reduction" tweaks were discovered and did the acceleration one. I didn't bother with the vibration one since we have AWD and wheel hop wasn't a consideration, especially with a stock tunes. I was just reading some old posts, and wondering is anyone with an R did it and noticed a difference. And since when did all the formatting option start showing up when you start/edit a thread?
I played with the Starting Vibration Reduction (SVR) on my 4Mo wagon (DSG) so same here for all intents/purposes as the R. Lots of launches with both and no difference I could discern in my recorded 60' or 0-60 etc. times. I've hypothesized that if it does anything it's for the manual GTIs. I've left mine at the stock setting ("strong").

Last edited:

tigeo

Autocross Champion

aaronc7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 S3
The starting vibration reduction one helps to prevent/reduce ABS module torque intervention during hard launches on the R.

I did the tweak years ago, but it was a noticeable difference at the time on eurodyne tune.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
I used full launch control for the first time about a month ago. Usually, I would activate it but only run it up to about 2,000 RPM to reduce the lag. Even surprised me how fast it took off. Dry road, new PS4S's, no wheelspin of course. No vibration or feeling like it was being held back, so for now I won't activate the setting.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
The starting vibration reduction one helps to prevent/reduce ABS module torque intervention during hard launches on the R.

I did the tweak years ago, but it was a noticeable difference at the time on eurodyne tune.
Do you have any back-to-back launch data with it on or off? Is this a DSG or manual?

aaronc7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 S3
I looked at my old eurodyne logs, and I don't think I logged it. I don't think ED logs would have been super helpful anyways to really see what's going on. It was a pretty aggressive launch control, spin all 4 sometimes etc. I'm guessing it wouldn't have really mattered if it was a bit more mild.

It's a 2017 S3--DSG DQ250.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
I looked at my old eurodyne logs, and I don't think I logged it. I don't think ED logs would have been super helpful anyways to really see what's going on. It was a pretty aggressive launch control, spin all 4 sometimes etc. I'm guessing it wouldn't have really mattered if it was a bit more mild.

It's a 2017 S3--DSG DQ250.

When I had an earlier GTI with "brake-applied traction control", it was supposed to shut down if the brakes overheated. Where the sensor was, I don't know.

aaronc7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 S3
DerHase on here did a deep dive into the ABS system and some of its interventions he experienced on track... I think the ABS module has a "brakes overheated" flag. Surely it's just some lab coated model, versus any kind of real sensors on these cars.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
I never felt it shut off on my MK4, but it was supposed to disengage at I think at 25MPH or maybe 40MPH. I never read where MK7's would do that. I don't think the MK4 had a TC feature where it would close the throttle. My MK5's TC was useless. It would instantly shut the throttle on Stage 1. I never used it. As soon as I started the car I hit the button. The R has too much traction. Even when it's raining, I can take off at 2,000 RPM or just floor it and wait for the turbo to kick in and the wheels never spin. Never tried it at 4,000 RPM. That traction sold me on the R and made me wish I but the AWD Audi A3's back in the day. The dealer I bought my MK4 at sold both lines, but the Audi was more than I wanted to spend for a car that would sit in a parking lot all day at work. That was when I got a white-collar job. Most people where I worked could care less about a car. Bunch of heathens.

DerHase

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI Rabbit
https://www.datadrivenmqb.com/brakes/brake-adaptations

Haven't looked at any non-ABS stuff too closely, but there are modeled brake temps in the ABS module (you can view all 4 live in VCDS). The brake overheat flag has to be read with a CAN sniffer on the power train bus directly. Almost for sure will never come into play on the street.