GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Vwr catch can ?/concern

donefor

Go Kart Newbie
Its a 20oz syringe. Even if full, it would takes like 30 sec to empty 90% of the tank. But I never let it fill up much, so my tank is always 90% empty.

Um, no, that's a 2 oz syringe that Amazon mistakenly allowed the vendor to advertise as a 20 oz syringe. And with that tiny gauge needle it'd take an eternity to drain anything. The capacity of the can is well north of 20 oz BTW.

DIY extractor made from 300 cc catheter syringe and some tubing. A thinwall 3/16" ID brass tube fits dipstick aperture perfectly. FWIW i pulled about 600 cc of oil/water mix from the can after a VIR outing a couple weeks ago.

Attachments

• IMGg_0076.jpg
    IMGg_0076.jpg
    541.9 KB · Views: 543
Last edited:

neogeo

Go Kart Newbie
After installing the VWR catch can system and another thing my big turbo spools 500 rrm later and 30HP are missing at the peak. Is it possible that the underpressure and the valve which exist in the OEM system are needed? Both are missing in the VWR system...Still looking for the reason why 30HP are missing.
Sorry to revive a dead topic but I didn’t see anyone else answer so I thought I’d post my thought. Positive crankcase pressure affects ring seal and usually robs power. ...probably the reason why real race cars use dry sump systems and negative crank case pressure.

In theory I’d expect a catch can to reduce crank case pressure an odd psi or so, and actually increase power. Can’t understand why you’d need a pvc valve to make power. Maybe someone can explain.

docwyte

Go Kart Champion
Are there any catch cans that allow the stock washer reservoir stay as is?

the vwr and spulen ones both require replacing the upper part of the reservoir.....

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
ah, now I see what you are talking about. Very odd they mount it under the bolt. That brand is definitely superior to my CTS can but my can gets mounted to the small threaded top of that bolt so the bolt never comes out. I loosen two small allen head bolts and can get my can out and clean in about 2 minutes. maybe rig something utilizing the top threaded part of the bolt?

Why do you say the vwr is better for the hard cornering smoke issue? They both replace the pcv and appear to have same basic function. Have you had oil smoke with your CTS? I'm about to by for my mk7 in setting up for track.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Are there any catch cans that allow the stock washer reservoir stay as is?

the vwr and spulen ones both require replacing the upper part of the reservoir.....

I have the Spulen OCC but I didn't use their can. I used the can from the ADD W1 OCC which I have bolted to the motor mount by the washer reservoir. I got the ADD W1 can from eBay for $70 and it's easier to empty also because it just unscrews from the mount. The washer reservoir stays stock. If you can find just the can from the ADD W1 OCC that's all you'll need. That eliminates the hoses that come with it which you won't need since the Sulen OCC comes with the correct length hoses.

Quebster

Autocross Newbie
Does anyone here know what size the drain plug is on the VWR can? thread pitch and all that? Looking like M14 x 1.5, is that right?

Quebster

Autocross Newbie
After installing the VWR catch can system and another thing my big turbo spools 500 rrm later and 30HP are missing at the peak. Is it possible that the underpressure and the valve which exist in the OEM system are needed? Both are missing in the VWR system...Still looking for the reason why 30HP are missing.
Also I'm late to this party but you are probably leaking a lot of boost at the N80 valve. Several plates like VWR send full boost to the N80 and I don't think the N80 is designed to handle it. OEM, Spulen, and Leyo incorporate a check valve to prevent boost from reaching the N80.

Navi

Autocross Champion
Does anyone here know what size the drain plug is on the VWR can? thread pitch and all that? Looking like M14 x 1.5, is that right?

drain plug is M14x1.5

amazon.com/gp/product/B079XJYGQ4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Quebster

Autocross Newbie
drain plug is M14x1.5

amazon.com/gp/product/B079XJYGQ4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Perfect, thanks Navi. Does the catch can hit the frame of the car on the bottom with that valve in place? Or does it clear it fine?