GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

VW Phaeton

Todd@ECS

Ready to race!
Hey all, a friend of mine is considering purchasing a VW Phaeton... I know nothing about these other than it has the W12 motor. Does anyone know anything about these cars? :iono: Reliability? Driveability? Any info would be appreciated...

Here's a link to the one he's looking to purchase.
http://autos.yahoo.com/used-cars/vo...ed&model=phaeton&make=volkswagen&distance=100

Also, if anyone has access to a full carfax and wouldn't mind running the VIN, that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

-Bake

Veedubgli

Ready to race!
Obviously badass, but obviously big $$ to fix just about anything on those.

I've seen one at the VW dealer getting fixed several times. One time they had the interior pulled apart due to water damage from leaks (if I recall correctly). The owners of that Phaeton have been trying to sell it for a couple of years now. They're rich people who own an RV sales place.

Still though....badass!!

Todd@ECS

Ready to race!
Obviously badass, but obviously big $$ to fix just about anything on those.

I've seen one at the VW dealer getting fixed several times. One time they had the interior pulled apart due to water damage from leaks (if I recall correctly). The owners of that Phaeton have been trying to sell it for a couple of years now. They're rich people who own an RV sales place.

Still though....badass!!

i'm being told that oil changes on these cars aren't simple. I'm going to contact a local dealership and ask if they have anyone qualified to service this car.

AXO

Go Kart Champion
I would consider something else. Especially here in the U.S.. 97,000 on a car like that is Scary as Hill!

MastaChunco

Passed Driver's Ed
100k on a European 12 cyl is a recipe for expensive repairs. I mean who knows how the previous owner(s) drove it... but I know how I would of. Fast.

FNR32

Ready to race!
i'm being told that oil changes on these cars aren't simple. I'm going to contact a local dealership and ask if they have anyone qualified to service this car.

They're not complicated either. Any VW dealer will be able to change the oil on this car. A Veyron it is not.

Todd@ECS

Ready to race!
haha, thanks for all the responses. I'll let him know. sounds like he'll be wise and pass on this one. he just wants something with power and awd with a little luxury mixed in. definitely a doable mixture, but at what cost...

PandaGTI

Go Kart Champion
That's pretty much a Bentley dressed up as a VW...

The Audi S8/A8 is also based on the same architecture.

I think it's pretty bad ass and that one seems to be in great shape.

But you shouldn't expect maintenance costs similar to a Camry... Expect maintenance cost similar to a $100,000 to $200,000 car.

A car with cheaper maintenance could be a VR6 CC 4 motion... If your friend wants an awd car...

But if it where me, I'd get that phaeton, throw airbags in it, stanced wheels, and call it a day:)

Rockchops

Go Kart Champion
from what I've heard, those cars are absolutely incredible pieces of engineering which, on the used market are pretty cheap to have. I'd imagine maintenance is a big expense though.

Todd@ECS

Ready to race!
That's pretty much a Bentley dressed up as a VW...

The Audi S8/A8 is also based on the same architecture.

I think it's pretty bad ass and that one seems to be in great shape.

But you shouldn't expect maintenance costs similar to a Camry... Expect maintenance cost similar to a $100,000 to $200,000 car.

A car with cheaper maintenance could be a VR6 CC 4 motion... If your friend wants an awd car...

But if it where me, I'd get that phaeton, throw airbags in it, stanced wheels, and call it a day:)
:word: