GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

VW Getting Rid Of Capacitive Buttons On Steering Wheels - I Hope You're All Happy...

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
yo

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
Thank god. keep the trend going to the rest of the buttons. Touch screens are not the way.

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK5 Best GTI
..."and in exchange vw is taking away the manual in favort of a cvt"

EpicTech

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI 6sp w/PP
There is a lot more they can fix, but the capacitive buttons is a nice reversal. Uggh I wish I could of went to school for automotive design like I wanted. Saw one of those new Hyundai .. Kona?, on the way to work this morning. That crazy thing has the turn signals in the bumper....??? WTF? I don't look there for a turn signal and because of that that fool almost got run over. I only noticed him turning because I saw his front wheel deflect to the right.

EpicTech

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI 6sp w/PP
..."and in exchange vw is taking away the manual in favort of a cvt"
They better not, I will throw a fit and start a riot on the footsteps at VW HQ. My daughter just got a newer car and it has a cvt. She called me right after she got it and said Dad, this car feels stupid when it accelerates, do they not make real cars anymore? I once again had to remind her that I told her to stay the hell away from small Nissan sedans and SUV's. Sorry if that offends anyone but Nissan CVT's SUCK. Needless to say she took the car back and is trying to negotiate on a Jetta.

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
Nissan CVT's SUCK.
and theyre the only "good" ones as far as I'm concerned. ("good" in this case means they function relatively reliably)

EpicTech

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI 6sp w/PP
You must only hear about ones that work, and I have only heard about ones that dont, which is a lot. A very good friend of mine works at Nissan back home. CVT tranny replacements is his number one repetitive ticket, with the majority of those being either a Rogue or a Sentra.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
yo
You must only hear about ones that work, and I have only heard about ones that dont, which is a lot. A very good friend of mine works at Nissan back home. CVT tranny replacements is his number one repetitive ticket, with the majority of those being either a Rogue or a Sentra.

The CVT in my 2013 Altima went out at like 74k miles, leaving my stranded in an intersection in Boston. Talk about stressful.

Surprisingly, since it was out of warranty, Nissan warrantied it and it didn't cost me a penny.

I had a co-worker who had leased a new Altima, maybe like 2017 at that time. Her CVT went out at like 5k miles. It's such a crapshoot.

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
Guess I should have said, compared to other CVT's, I've just only heard "good" things about Nissan since Nissan has been in the CVT game (maybe not actually the first to use them widespread, but one of the early adopters) the longest. They still suck compared to other auto trans options. I've completely eliminated a lot of cars from my list of possible next vehicles strictly due to CVT's. Even Subaru is getting heavy into them now.

EpicTech

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI 6sp w/PP
I know man its so sad. Sometimes I wonder if CVT's were created so as to help out the service departments, as if there wasn't already a waiting line. These days its practically mandatory you "drop off" your car. My response is always "no, I can't drop it off, I can only drive one car at a time." Then they belt out the robotic response of "oh dont you have someone that can pick you up?" and 'Im like yes, lets inconvenience even more people and ask them to skip work for a bit so that I can drop my car off and have a way back to work or whatever... UGGH !! Courtesy shuttle? Yes, but it currently is... wait for it... running other customers around that also had to drop their car off...

Makes me miss when I was driving BMW and they would always just toss me the key to a loaner. I guess they understand the hassle.

messrock

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI DSG
Driving the Tiguan makes me feel legitimate confusion. The volume controls on the wheel and the temp controls are flat out confusing. Sometimes it works if I slide, sometimes it works if I click, sometimes it just doesn’t do anything.

I thought about swapping the climatronic controls in my car, but after experiencing it, it’s a big fat noap