GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

VW ECU tune dection defeat

xkeyscore

Passed Driver's Ed
https://www.magicmotorsport.com/magpro2-system/#squelch-taas-tab-content-3-21

These guys are claiming their MagPro2 X17 product allows end users to clone an SimOS 18 ECU in advance of an ECU tune, create an image, and restore it. Supposedly it is completely undetectable.

They say, you can arbitrarily set the flash counter to any value you want. All through the ODB port.

Has anyone had an experience with these guys?
Any idea if the product works as advertised?
Any thoughts?

They ask a hefty price tag, like 4500 euros for basic functionality - although i havent checked Aliexpress yet :)

Wrath And Tears

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 Sport, 99 E36
That is nuts, but if it actually works, and can change the flash counters, it might be legit.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Here's what I would ask:

How much is the annual? subscription?

Do you have a doorstop if the company goes out of business?

If this thing is so great, how come all APR dealers don't have one?

Our cars report every flash, the date, and the serial number of the equipment that flashed it. How do they get around that?

Will they pay for any and all repairs to your drivetrain for the term of your original warranty if you are denied a warranty claim by VW? If they put this in writing, do they pay into a insurance policy that will pay warranty claims if they go out of business?

Rafiki76

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MKVII GTI
Here's what I would ask:

Our cars report every flash, the date, and the serial number of the equipment that flashed it. How do they get around that?

Will they pay for any and all repairs to your drivetrain for the term of your original warranty if you are denied a warranty claim by VW? If they put this in writing, do they pay into a insurance policy that will pay warranty claims if they go out of business?

Fed's right. This could be essentially a scam, or better phrased a complete waste of money. Just put this money aside for repairs.

xkeyscore

Passed Driver's Ed
The company looks legit. The produce a number of immobilized defeat devices and tuning products. Most of their customers seem to be custom tuners and mechanics. I saw a number of positive references to them on the websites that specialize in ECU hardware.

I suppose your APR dealer doesn’t have it because APR doesn’t make it. The SimOS 18 functionality is new, as in the last several weeks.

I suppose you could set $10k aside for repairs or you could buy it as a club or even offer a backup/restore service at some price point recover the cost of the unit.

I didn’t see any mention of a subscription fee. At the prices they are asking they are in the price range of mid to high end diagnostic devices. Even the Shell down the street from me has a $10k snapon scanner.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
TI didn’t see any mention of a subscription fee. At the prices they are asking they are in the price range of mid to high end diagnostic devices. Even the Shell down the street from me has a $10k snapon scanner.

& that's the rub..huge prices for not much..

Latest VCDS unlimited VIN cost me £425 ish….bought to replace older & slower VCDS cable which I sold for purchase price of £220ish as those were unlimited VIN also...:cool:

& that gets me VW, Audi, Seat, Skoda, Bentley

dub_guy

Ready to race!
Well, in theory Cobb is supposed to do something similar (as it reads your ECU, stores it and then flashes it back from the stored if you revert to something similar). Flash counter re-writes have been around for a bit (from what I've read).

Everyone makes a lot of assumptions of how VAG will find a flash, but we have little hard facts on how it is done.

Save the money for parts or don't flash.

cb1111

Here's what I would ask:

Here you go - from their disclaimers:

"MAGICMOTORSPORT declares that all of the information published on this website is the result of painstaking and careful work, subject to continuous and accurate research of the updating data. However despite our best efforts, the information contained in this website may contain technical inaccuracies or typographical errors and some errors may occur that are beyond our control.
MAGICMOTORSPORT would also like to remind you that all of our research is based on technical-scientific surveys, supported by the most advanced data processing systems; however this does not guarantee that the device is foolproof and it may malfunction in certain conditions.
MAGICMOTORSPORT declares that all software available for download will be free of viruses. However problems may occur due to situations beyond our control.
MAGICMOTORSPORT is not liable for damages of any kind (direct or indirect) that may be related to the device or to the contents of the Helpdesk under any circumstance.
MAGICMOTORSPORT cannot be responsible in any way for any damage caused to your vehicles, whether due to viruses, a malfunctioning of the software, hardware incompatibility or any other anomaly that may occur."

adam1991

Banned
That is nuts, but if it actually works, and can change the flash counters, it might be legit.

Assuming it's technically sound and functional:

for how long?

That is, how long until VW's engineers get a copy and figure out its weaknesses?

It's an arms race. Are you really willing to bet the third party market against VW's corporate will and might?

adam1991

Banned
or you could buy it as a club or even offer a backup/restore service at some price point recover the cost of the unit.

There is no way they would NOT configure this by serial number.

No way. If it works, then fine. You buy it--for YOUR car.

Not for the whole world. They'd never sell more than one.

adam1991

Banned
Here you go - from their disclaimers:

"MAGICMOTORSPORT declares that all of the information published on this website is the result of painstaking and careful work, subject to continuous and accurate research of the updating data. However despite our best efforts, the information contained in this website may contain technical inaccuracies or typographical errors and some errors may occur that are beyond our control.
MAGICMOTORSPORT would also like to remind you that all of our research is based on technical-scientific surveys, supported by the most advanced data processing systems; however this does not guarantee that the device is foolproof and it may malfunction in certain conditions.
MAGICMOTORSPORT declares that all software available for download will be free of viruses. However problems may occur due to situations beyond our control.
MAGICMOTORSPORT is not liable for damages of any kind (direct or indirect) that may be related to the device or to the contents of the Helpdesk under any circumstance.
MAGICMOTORSPORT cannot be responsible in any way for any damage caused to your vehicles, whether due to viruses, a malfunctioning of the software, hardware incompatibility or any other anomaly that may occur."

Do they ship the license key wrapped around one of these?

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
It mentions if your subscription expires you only pay for the time you didn't have a subscription?

Anyone who thinks their flash tune won't be detected has no problem.