GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Volkswagen's revised fuel pump basket (Walbro install)

ogvw

Car(s)
Golf R Spektrum
Really glad I found this thread. I was about to abandon ship and just buy a brushless kit. I have a CTS pump and bought a new OEM basket and couldnt figure out the issue. After reading this thread here is how I did mine.

I trimmed the receiving part of the housing to allow the pump to sit at the correct depth.
IMG_0708.JPG

added a little notch so everything fits with the o-ring installed. I had to trim about 4mm off the pump outlet tube and around the same off the aluminum adapter sleeve that presses on it to place/retain the o-ring. Seems to be good to go now.
IMG_1740.JPG

Gvazquez

Go Kart Champion
That's the best dremmeling I've ever seen in my life

ogvw

Car(s)
Golf R Spektrum
Seriously, looks great. what did you use to dremmel it?

I use a Foredom Flex-shaft. They have a rheostatic foot pedal control so its real easy to control the speed which is important for different materials. Also choosing the right burr/cutting bit will help control too. It's easy to be too aggressive and that makes controlling the cut more difficult.
IMG_7494.JPG

IMG_9368.JPG

Its.Morphin.Time

Car(s)
2015 VW GTI
I seem to be having the same issue on my R. I bought mine off a forum member with a 450lph installed and went down to 305lph for the time being. They had actually cut the Venturi piece down to gain the clearance inside the basket. Swapped in the 305lph myself and it all went together great. It all looks fine inside. Was running awesome for about a week. Pump is still seated nicely. But, I am dropping fuel pressure when in boost.
hey did you ever figure out what was happening, like why you were dropping pressure underboost

Its.Morphin.Time

Car(s)
2015 VW GTI
Noted. This wasn’t about the basket itself so much as it was about modifying the pump itself, and removing a piece of the pump assembly housing. I have rectified any “craftsmanship shortcomings” but didn’t bother taking pictures of those fixes. For the sake of conversation, a 305lph will not support my required power levels . ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
hey did you ever figure out what was happening, like why you were dropping pressure underboost