GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Valve wont close on my exhaust

wulliebhoy

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
MRK7 Vw Golf R
Hello guys, ive just put on a milltek exhaust on my mrk 7 golf R after installing it one of the valves isnt working, not sure if it wasnt working when the stock exhaust was on. We checked to make sure the spring was all lined up which it was has anyone any ideas or is ut a trip to the garage? Its not a massive issue just annoying.

kevinkar

Drag Racing Champion
I coded my valves to be open all the time and they are. I then tested removing that coding to bring them back to stock function and they don't close. They are apparently locked open now. Probably did ONE step in the process incorrectly and now they will never close. I wonder if something like that happened. But it could also be a bad connection, a loose wire or some other electrical gremlin. But since you are not sure if the original function wasn't working right either, it's kind of difficult to compare/debug now. Certainly don't want to put the original back on to test, I'm sure!

wulliebhoy

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
MRK7 Vw Golf R
I coded my valves to be open all the time and they are. I then tested removing that coding to bring them back to stock function and they don't close. They are apparently locked open now. Probably did ONE step in the process incorrectly and now they will never close. I wonder if something like that happened. But it could also be a bad connection, a loose wire or some other electrical gremlin. But since you are not sure if the original function wasn't working right either, it's kind of difficult to compare/debug now. Certainly don't want to put the original back on to test, I'm sure!
No im not wanting to do that....would it be worth getting it on the computer ?? Inwas going to book it into the garage

aloha_from_bradley

Autocross Champion
The spring orientation doesn’t matter. The system is configured to spin the valve motors after they’ve been disconnected, and the spring is designed to snap into place. You can literally just slap the valve motor on without paying attention to the position.

This happened to me as well. I had a few different exhaust systems on the car trying to find the perfect note. You can try unplugging and replugging the valves back in to see if you can initiate the reset. If the ignition is completely off when you pull the power, it may not know to reset itself. Try it with the ignition on. I had to fiddle with mine a couple times to get the valves working again. Just took some time.

Al_in_Philly

Autocross Newbie
You can try unplugging and replugging the valves back in to see if you can initiate the reset. If the ignition is completely off when you pull the power, it may not know to reset itself. Try it with the ignition on. I had to fiddle with mine a couple times to get the valves working again.
When I installed an APR exhaust to my R, like the OP, the exhausts stayed open. I went back and forth unplugging and replugging the connections, uninstalling and reinstalling the servo modules, nothing worked. I didn't mind too much, as even open, the sound wasn't unpleasant, so I just lived with it. But I didn't disconnect the battery, nor did anything with the ignition on, which I now want to try. But can you tell me how you leave the ignition on without the engine running? I know that sounds dumb, but I've never attempted doing that. Thanks.

aloha_from_bradley

Autocross Champion
When I installed an APR exhaust to my R, like the OP, the exhausts stayed open. I went back and forth unplugging and replugging the connections, uninstalling and reinstalling the servo modules, nothing worked. I didn't mind too much, as even open, the sound wasn't unpleasant, so I just lived with it. But I didn't disconnect the battery, nor did anything with the ignition on, which I now want to try. But can you tell me how you leave the ignition on without the engine running? I know that sounds dumb, but I've never attempted doing that. Thanks.

You're right, my post left some assumptions there.

What I should have said was - "You may want to try with the ignition in the accessory position"

The ignition switch has three different positions - 1. completely off, 2. accessory mode, 3. engine systems running

Pressing the start/stop button one time without your foot on the brake or clutch would put the ignition system into the accessory position. All accessories including lights, radio, windows, basically anything electronic will become operational just without the engine running. I'm sure you know this, but I'm explaining to be clear. This way, the valve motor and ECU are communicating when you unplug the motor, and I believe this will trigger a reset of the valve motor.

There is a chance the car knows that a valve motor has been unplugged even with the ignition in the "off" position, but I don't remember if this is the case. This would mean that a reset of the valves would be triggered even if the car wasn't in the accessory position. Maybe someone smarter than me can validate. I had to mess with the valves for awhile to get them working again. Was a series of unplugging & re-plugging with the ignition in different positions before I finally got them working again. You can prob even do it with the engine running.

Al_in_Philly

Autocross Newbie
You're right, my post left some assumptions there.

What I should have said was - "You may want to try with the ignition in the accessory position"

The ignition switch has three different positions - 1. completely off, 2. accessory mode, 3. engine systems running

Pressing the start/stop button one time without your foot on the brake or clutch would put the ignition system into the accessory position. All accessories including lights, radio, windows, basically anything electronic will become operational just without the engine running. I'm sure you know this, but I'm explaining to be clear. This way, the valve motor and ECU are communicating when you unplug the motor, and I believe this will trigger a reset of the valve motor.

There is a chance the car knows that a valve motor has been unplugged even with the ignition in the "off" position, but I don't remember if this is the case. This would mean that a reset of the valves would be triggered even if the car wasn't in the accessory position. Maybe someone smarter than me can validate. I had to mess with the valves for awhile to get them working again. Was a series of unplugging & re-plugging with the ignition in different positions before I finally got them working again. You can prob even do it with the engine running.
Thanks. Now I know what I'll be doing this weekend.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
I coded mine off years ago. Funny how I don't mind the drone now. I shut off the Soundaktor right after I bought the R. I would have left the flaps activated but one squeaked. IIRC, with the engine running, going from park or neutral to drive causes the flap motors to cycle from open to closed to open. It would squeak every time and got to be annoying. I even used my borescope to watch them and attached a long tube to my WD-40 can so I could squirt some on the pivot points. It lasted only a short time and before it started to squeak again. VW wasn't going to replace the exhaust system from the cat back so it was either live with it or shut the motors off. They're open at low speeds and full throttle, otherwise they're closed.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
I now have WD-40 silicone. I could see if that helps. Mainly bought it to lube the ball stud for the Euro lower intake manifold cover.