GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Valve/Injector Cleaning

PowerDemon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
Hello all,

My car is getting a bit of a rough idle on cold starts and with over 82,000 miles without a carbon cleaning (as far as I know) I think it's time. While the manifold is off though I am thinking about having the stock injectors shipped out, professionally cleaned, and flow checked. I saw a member on FaceBook post results of his injectors being cleaned and the difference was outstanding, but I can't for the life of me find that post. Given the mileage I think this could be good preventative maintenance in the hopes that I do not get a stuck or clogged injector and I might uncover a bit of power as a bonus. Has anyone done this before? The guy on facebook was the first person I saw doing it, but it seems like a good idea. What do you guys think?

In regards to “injector cleaner” or something that you put in your gas tank I am not interested in doing that at this time.

Also I am looking at getting this done at Brentuning in Massachusetts. If anyone has a better shop suggestion I am all ears. Thanks!

PowerDemon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
Not as far as I can tell. Although I can tell it has started to whine a bit on startup. It kinda just like it's missing a bit while it’s doing the high idle to warm up the cat. Unless the SAI runs that long lol. I thought it just ran 15ish seconds.

daconchslop

Autocross Champion
Consider just replacing the injectors with Golf R/S3 ones. What’s the cost for cleaning and flow checking (assume this is not flow matching).

PowerDemon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
Consider just replacing the injectors with Golf R/S3 ones. What’s the cost for cleaning and flow checking (assume this is not flow matching).

$127 per new S3/R injector VW PN: 06L 906 036 AJ from ECS Tuning. The first shop I called can send them out and get them cleaned for $50-75 an injector. But that is just the first shop I called, I’m sure I can find it a bit cheaper elsewhere as this shop is usually the highest bid. The other shop recommended replacing them but if I’m going to replace injectors I will do MPI.

They also quoted me $495 for the cleaning. I don’t know what extra they would charge for pulling the injectors. Hopefully they would just roll it in since it’s all right there. At that price I might look into doing it myself too.

Pull up the AP and look at afr vs target at cold start. I wasn't getting any codes but had rough idle. Unhooking the SAI solenoid on the side of the block made me realize it was the SAI.

https://datazap.me/u/diggs24/log-1594950128?log=0&data=8-9&zoom=3-211

Will do. Where can I unplug the SAI to check it?

Diggs24

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI; 2003 Saab

That little plug on the top. That solenoid sits on the side of the engine block.

PowerDemon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
I thought you were doing the MPI?

Yeah, I’ve been considering it but after pricing it all out I don't know if I want to do it on this car considering the mileage. If I did MPI I would most likely switch to United Motorsport/Flex, do a bigger intercooler, full exhaust, and a better clutch. If I was going to do all that I would like to upgrade to a lower miles Mk7 Golf R and then if that's the case it seems silly to install everything just to swap it over within a year or so. So I’m considering taking care of this car and keeping at this power level until I’m ready to move up.