GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Using LiquiMoly 5W-40

MK7GTiPP

Passed Driver's Ed
Is it safe to use 5W-40 oil in the MK7 GTi? I have the 2.0L TSI MQB 3rd Gen Engine.

Chronic

Go Kart Champion
Yes you will be fine

dequardo

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
‘21 GLI Autobahn GLI
The best you can do IMO.

VDuBNIT

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
Isn't any synthetic 5/40 oil ok to use? Mobil 1, Castrol, Amzoil, is one really better then the rest????

VDuBNIT

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
As long as it's VW 502.00 rated as stated above...just because it's 5w40 synthetic doesn't mean its correct.

Good to know. I have two years free maintenance so I'm not too worried about it as the dealership uses Castrol. All I do is change the oil filter half way through oil change intervals.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Good to know. I have two years free maintenance so I'm not too worried about it as the dealership uses Castrol. All I do is change the oil filter half way through oil change intervals.

Pay to change the filter at every oil change if it's not included. As I recall the owners manual says oil AND filter change every 10,000 miles.

ManInTheClouds

Ready to race!
Wait, WHAT? To my understanding the dealership uses this for oil changes:
https://www.amazon.com/Castrol-Edge-Professional-5W-40-Motor/dp/B00J7141OY

Note that the bottle says "full synthetic".

Please correct me if I'm wrong however. I'd certainly like to know what is used.

If you get you oil changed at the dealer you HAVE to adhere to a 1,000mi oil change interval.

Castrol is nothing more than repackaged frying oil, and VW does this so they can void your warranty in the dead of night.

ATR

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
'17 Golf R 6mt
If you get you oil changed at the dealer you HAVE to adhere to a 1,000mi oil change interval.

Castrol is nothing more than repackaged frying oil, and VW does this so they can void your warranty in the dead of night.
I take it you mean 10k miles and not 1k.

To your comment on oil:

Hang out at Bob is the oil guy or search through the threads there on oil. You'll quickly find that at 10k miles most fully synthetic oils still have lots of life left :cool: