GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

USB Location: Anyone move it?

italynstylion

Ready to race!
The stock location for the USB port on my Golf R is one of the most annoying things I've ever experienced. Everything else about the car is damn near perfect. Having the phone plugged in for Android Auto is a big ole pain in the ass since it's right behind the shifter.

I'm considering running a 3-4ft USB cord from the port underneath the center console into the middle armrest cavity. That way it's not in the way of the shifter. Anyone else try something like this? If so, what other spots did you guys consider?

italynstylion

Ready to race!
Wow....no one. Guess I'm just picky about things being in the way of the shifter. Anyway, I guess I'll have a go at relocating the plug and let y'all know how I make out!

MattB1

Ready to race!
Wow....no one. Guess I'm just picky about things being in the way of the shifter. Anyway, I guess I'll have a go at relocating the plug and let y'all know how I make out!

I feel your pain, I have looked for an oem look USB port which will fit in a blank switch position, I found mk5/6 ones but none for a mk7 yet....But I haven't looked into the cost of an armrest bin for a car with the advanced phone preparation, they have a USB port fitted....

italynstylion

Ready to race!
Honestly, I don't even really need the port itself relocated. I'll likely just use a male to female extension or a 5ft USB C cord and run it through the center console into the armrest. Keeps me from having to plug in a cord inside the console too.

I'm taking apart the console anyway because I'm adding the double apex garage opener.

ReadTheBook

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
DVP Spektrm, MK4 R32
Honestly, I don't even really need the port itself relocated. I'll likely just use a male to female extension or a 5ft USB C cord and run it through the center console into the armrest. Keeps me from having to plug in a cord inside the console too.

I'm taking apart the console anyway because I'm adding the double apex garage opener.

This is the only thing I've seen at all on any MK7 site regarding the USB port and routing a cable. I think it's well done.

http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?p=350139#post350139