GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

US MK7 Reliability & Quality

TheDoc46

Ready to race!
Found some Mexican jumping beans in the glove compartment, and an illegal hiding away in the trunk.. But other than that, she's been as good as gold !

freshpots

r'zub n t'zug
Car(s)
'22 GTI, '19 GT350R
I have a rattle or two.. Other than that, no issues.

The rattle that annoys me most is coming from the glovebox area, and no it's nothing inside the glovebox. It appears to go away once the car is fully warmed. I'm assuming the cold weather just makes the interior plastics shrink or something and rattle

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

carl s

Ready to race!
Recently there's been a constant creaking coming from the driver's side door. A little frustrated because this is the first time I've bought a brand new car, but I haven't at any moment regretted the purchase. Going to the dealership this week to get things sorted

I had this issue, the dealer took the lock mechanism to bits, oiled it and put it back again. Creak has now gone :)

MikeNJ

I have heard such a thing.
That the early run is very closely monitored, and inspected - because they want to make sure those cars come out right.
Later on, they get lazy.

It is not really a question of being lazy. When you lunch a new design, you use pro-active tools like PFMEA, you ask yourself upfront what could go wrong ?, what is the effect if a defect happens?, how can we detect it?, then you put corrective actions in place etc... But nothing replaces the real life. The more parts you produce , the more unexpected issues appear. After 1 year things should improve.
But Mexico should benefit from the experience in Europe where MK7 was launched 2 years before, ...."should"....

Last edited:

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
It is not really a question of being lazy. When you lunch a new design, you are using pro-active tools like PFMEA, you ask yourself upfront what could go wrong ?, what is the effect if a defect happens?, how can we detect it?, then you put corrective actions in place etc... But nothing replaces the real life. The more parts you produce , the more unexpected issues appear. After 1 year things should improve.
But Mexico should benefit from the experience in Europe where MK7 was launched 2 years before, ...."should"....

Also this is not a brand new plant.
The Golf - GTI line may be new, but they likely move some workers around to help balance experience. Plant has been building cars for many years.