GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

upper grille nightmare

Desslok

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Rabbit
I had plans to install a FMIC today. The weather is upper 40's and dry, so about as good as it gets around here for January.

Put the car on ramps and painters tape under the upper grille and on the fenders, to protect where they meet the bumper. Next, removed the two screws in the upper grille and took the next hour and a half trying to pull the damn grill off.

There are supposedly tabs to push with a screwdriver to disengage them and I saw three differently shaped things that might have been the tabs and pressed on them. Nothing budged and did manage to break one, as the screwdriver went right through it. About the only thing that moved was the red stripe at the bottom of the grille started to separate from it. Luckily, that pressed back in with no apparent damage. And yes, I was pulling out, not up, this being a Mk7.5.

So then, I tried to take a picture, but even with flash, the area behind the grille is too dark to show up in the picture. Put everything away in utter defeat and am now here begging for help.

Does anyone have detailed pictures of the tabs on the bottom of the grille and any advice in how to release them? I watched ShopDAP's video and despite claiming he was going to show the tabs, he never did. He made it look so easy and I could probably pick him up and throw him a good distance, but mine was not going to come out in one piece.

This is for a 2019 GTI

Raguvian

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GSW 4MO 6MT
Just pull forward. I got stuck once, but you can try to push down on the tabs if you can get the top of the grille out enough. I tried to push the tabs down, but that didn't do anything so I just grabbed the grille by one end (passenger side in my case) and pulled on it till it just popped out.

Alternatively, I don't think you need to take the grille out to remove the bumper. Just remove it as one piece.

Desslok

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Rabbit
This may help: https://www.vwroc.com/forums/topic/26887-mk75-upper-front-grille-removal/

"The grills don't fit and remove in the same way from my experience. The mk7 tilts and lifts up and out but the mk7.5 pulls directly forward. Caused me a right nightmare when I changed my intercooler!"

It looked so easy in that video. Mine wasn't the same experience. I pulled straight out and it would not budge. It felt like it was going to break.

Just pull forward. I got stuck once, but you can try to push down on the tabs if you can get the top of the grille out enough. I tried to push the tabs down, but that didn't do anything so I just grabbed the grille by one end (passenger side in my case) and pulled on it till it just popped out.

Alternatively, I don't think you need to take the grille out to remove the bumper. Just remove it as one piece.

The only thing that came out was the red striped part that separated from the grille. As for removing it all in one piece, I believe there are a few fasteners or clips on the top of the bumper cover that are obscured by the grille.

Raguvian

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GSW 4MO 6MT
It looked so easy in that video. Mine wasn't the same experience. I pulled straight out and it would not budge. It felt like it was going to break.

The only thing that came out was the red striped part that separated from the grille. As for removing it all in one piece, I believe there are a few fasteners or clips on the top of the bumper cover that are obscured by the grille.

I don't remember there being any fasteners on top of the bumper under the grille. There were a few clips but I don't believe you need to actually access them to remove them.

My friend removed his Alltrack bumper and grille as one piece.

FWIW my grille also felt like it was going to break when it finally released.