GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Upgrading Navigation System

jjm51

Ready to race!
been asked several times before. i asked last year and one of the kind brit members (here) told me the tech behind why you can't swap them. it was beyond my understanding. :confused:

so, so far the answer is no. :mad:

again; not sure of the reasons, but i even asked a after-market vendor that supplies oem vw products here in the states and he said they won't touch it. too complicated.

2016 model year is supposedly coming with a faster and slightly larger unit. i think 1 inch bigger. this is from VWoA. but, who knows about anything they say. maybe that unit will fit?

the mk7 model is still very new here. i am thinking eventually a non oem solution will be available. at least i hope so.

Finglonga

Drag Racing Champion
The VW unit is coded to the car, so it is not just a case of swapping them over. The old one is useless as it can not be used in any other vehicle other than the one it came out of. Dealers will not want to touch it as even they can not code the car to accept the new unit.

moveingfaster

Ready to race!
Car(s)
08 R32
From my understanding is that controls for the navigation are all in the glove box the only thing in the dash is the screen. Somebody needs to come out with a retrofit for a larger screen where all of the navigation controls remain the same in the glove box, the only thing you would be changing is the screen itself.

reelknead1

Go Kart Champion
The VW unit is coded to the car, so it is not just a case of swapping them over. The old one is useless as it can not be used in any other vehicle other than the one it came out of. Dealers will not want to touch it as even they can not code the car to accept the new unit.

Is this new to the Mk7 platform? I swapped my RCD-510 on my mk6 many times.

From my understanding is that controls for the navigation are all in the glove box the only thing in the dash is the screen. Somebody needs to come out with a retrofit for a larger screen where all of the navigation controls remain the same in the glove box, the only thing you would be changing is the screen itself.

I noticed that when I was at the dealership. With a little bit more time i'm sure someone will figure it out.

ihmix

Ready to race!

I believe this is correct. You could change the screen size like you would a tv at home as it is only a display module, similar to upgrading a PC monitor.

Xykon

It wouldn't help to install a larger screen if the unit in the glove box doesn't support it. There is no HDMI out or similar that you can connect any screen you want. And if the nav system doesn't support different resolutions then your bigger screen would still only show the same size as the old one and you'd have black areas.

James75

Go Kart Champion
Is this new to the Mk7 platform? I swapped my RCD-510 on my mk6 many times.

I noticed that when I was at the dealership. With a little bit more time i'm sure someone will figure it out.

Yes - 310 - 510 - were all double din units - retrofitting them was so easy even i could do it.

You did need to code them to the car but even with coding, all the functions on the unit worked - you just lost things like nav directions on MFD.

This is why VW have probably moved to these new units. You could pay up to 2k from factory for all the bits added to your 510, which is why VW began to offer the Kenwood Units.

People quickly realised you could pick up 510 Sat Nav units relatively cheaply and have them fitted.

Retrofitting the new units - well, it will/has happened, it's time and money and how you are going to do it.

James