GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Underside - Interesting to me only?

EB2429

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
GTi 7.5
Fitted the rear lower trim panel, and it fitted like it should have been in place all the time. :)

As you can see it covers the large gap where the exhaust curves around the tank.

One locating point required the removal of the existing speed fixing as with that in place the trim panel didn't have enough thread to attached to. Not sure if I was to remove the plastic fitting/spacer on the tank before fitting the trim panel. I wasn't sure if it should recess more or not, so left it in place as the fixing has a few mm thread spare and won't come off. Any ideas if I should have tried to remove the small spacer from the tank locator? (not even sure if it comes off tbh)

Perhaps I should look up the tank on Etos and see if it comes with the small spacer moulded in or its an attachment? *Edited* ETOS doesn't show the fixing as a detachable part from the tank so i will leave it on the vehicle and assume it is a spacer to prevent chaffing (spelling) on the plastic tank.

Last edited:

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Sorted!

Right then, I have fitted both the panels, one front & one rear...........there are however some corrections to the parts list as ETKA/ETOS is wrong! surprise surprise! ;)

REAR TRIM
Part code 5Q0 825 206C, although computer says now "K" product still has "C" moulded onto it, & is stickered over with "K" on ID sticker! Also this part requires fixing at 4 points. It comes fitted with 2 x speed washers for fixing trim to the 2 rear body threaded studs. It also comes with 1 clip nut fitted at front of trim. You require one additional clip nut (part N909 591 01), & the two matching bolts (part N909 747 01). basically the front 2 fixings are the 2 bolts going through the trim & existing trim into the clip nuts (like on your typical VW engine undertray).

FRONT TRIM
Part Code 5Q0 825 229C. This fits directly using the 2 tabs which slot behind the existing trim & 4 additional plastic push rivets (part N038 549 4). You have to undo (10mm socket) 4 plastic flanged nuts which are near the position of the new trim, & recessed & hold the big side trims in place. This allows you to flex them down & get the tabs on the new trim panel behind the existing trim (it is obvious what to do when under the car). Then place 2 rivets front & 2 rivets at rear. Push rivets in & gently push the central stem in. Then using a dowel/something similar & a plastic mallet/etc. gently hammer them home/flush.

Job done, quickest mod I've done! Also the VW parts programme showed the rear trim as "suitable/fitted" to my chassis number..............which it wasn't & the front trim just comes up "production ceased 2013, replacement part is K"? So no warnings like do not refit as dangerous, no replacement part etc..........

No photos of my GT estate with these parts fitted as it looks like the black TSI hatch in the "Super circuit" photo, just that my car is longer after the rear axle!

I think VW developed these parts initially & then decided to penny pinch & save money by not fitting them as they don't make "headlines" in the brochure spec list! :mad:

EB2429

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
GTi 7.5
Right then, I have fitted both the panels, one front & one rear...........there are however some corrections to the parts list as ETKA/ETOS is wrong! surprise surprise! ;)

REAR TRIM
Part code 5Q0 825 206C, although computer says now "K" product still has "C" moulded onto it, & is stickered over with "K" on ID sticker! Also this part requires fixing at 4 points. It comes fitted with 2 x speed washers for fixing trim to the 2 rear body threaded studs. It also comes with 1 clip nut fitted at front of trim. You require one additional clip nut (part N909 591 01), & the two matching bolts (part N909 747 01). basically the front 2 fixings are the 2 bolts going through the trim & existing trim into the clip nuts (like on your typical VW engine undertray).

FRONT TRIM
Part Code 5Q0 825 229C. This fits directly using the 2 tabs which slot behind the existing trim & 4 additional plastic push rivets (part N038 549 4). You have to undo (10mm socket) 4 plastic flanged nuts which are near the position of the new trim, & recessed & hold the big side trims in place. This allows you to flex them down & get the tabs on the new trim panel behind the existing trim (it is obvious what to do when under the car). Then place 2 rivets front & 2 rivets at rear. Push rivets in & gently push the central stem in. Then using a dowel/something similar & a plastic mallet/etc. gently hammer them home/flush.

Job done, quickest mod I've done! Also the VW parts programme showed the rear trim as "suitable/fitted" to my chassis number..............which it wasn't & the front trim just comes up "production ceased 2013, replacement part is K"? So no warnings like do not refit as dangerous, no replacement part etc..........

No photos of my GT estate with these parts fitted as it looks like the black TSI hatch in the "Super circuit" photo, just that my car is longer after the rear axle!

I think VW developed these parts initially & then decided to penny pinch & save money by not fitting them as they don't make "headlines" in the brochure spec list! :mad:

great news, glad you got them fitted ok.

Just checking - did you try and remove anything from the fixing on the tank before fitting the rear trim, as it seems to have a spacer on the thread. I didn't try to remove it, just wanted to know if you did?

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
great news, glad you got them fitted ok.

Just checking - did you try and remove anything from the fixing on the tank before fitting the rear trim, as it seems to have a spacer on the thread. I didn't try to remove it, just wanted to know if you did?

mine just had a moulded black plastic square on the tank which the threaded stud projected from.............

the bruce

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI Mk.V 2008
Thanks EB and Dave for the info and pics. :)

kevinm1

Ready to race!
Thanks for trying it out and posting back with information

Chris43

Go Kart Champion
As said above using plastic saves weight but it also allows the use of more recycled materials. Im sure there are rules on the minimum content of recycled material per car.

the bruce

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI Mk.V 2008
Probably most (if not any) of the underbody trim is made of recycled plastic materials.
It doesn't need to look any good, it just needs to serve its purpose.

the bruce

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI Mk.V 2008
Btw, on the smaller Golfs the GTI/R/BlueMotion roofspoiler will also fit.
Obviously it isn't as cheap as the underbody trim parts.
Same with the sidefins next to the rear window, which GTI, R and Blue-
Motion TDI come with, but these shouldn't be that expensive, as they
don't require painting.

the bruce

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI Mk.V 2008

REAR TRIM

FRONT TRIM

Dave,
addionally a member of a German forum fitted the engine bay undertray
of the new "GTE" Hybrid to his GTI. So I guess it's safe to say, there are
three parts now known to fit the GTI (and probably most other Golfs).
Just see if you already have a big/closed engine undertray or not.

sdecker

Passed Driver's Ed
OP, you're not alone. I also examine the undersides of cars, as much for the suspension design and materials as the manufacturer's attention to aerodynamics.

I found it interesting that the bottom aero aids of the Mk7 GTI are nearly all identical to my 2010 GTI: materials, locations, functions, despite the "MQB" chassis differences. Seems nothing more was added, surprising given their push to higher gas mileage...

What I can offer about the 'R' suspension materials goes only so far as to say the front control arms of the Mk6 R are solid cast steel vs the chintzy-looking stamped steel of the Mk6 and Mk7 GTIs. The later Mk5 GTIs also used the same cast steel control arm. But I'm sure others know much more about this than my one observation.

Mk6 GTI uses insanely heavy and crude iron wheel spindles (which are aluminum on the more-expensive VWs of that generation, and interchangeable) -- does anyone know if the Mk7 GTI has lighter wheel spindles as part of MQB suspension parts?

the bruce

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI Mk.V 2008
Fortunately all Mk.VII GTIs and Rs come with aluminium alloy spindles, while at least
the GTI still comes with pressed steel control arms. I'd consider to fit the Audi A3/S3
(current '8V' gen) or Audi TT aluminium control arms.

Burdman

Passed Driver's Ed
That photo didn't work at all!
Here's another attempt...

These dents are usually to even out the airflow for dual exhaust tips, generally they will appear on the shorter of the two pipes to ensure flow is equal out of both tips. And as far as plastic oil pans Im good with it, remember guys that Kevlar(stops bullets) is plastic.

the bruce

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI Mk.V 2008
Sadly that dent seems to be in front of the rear muffler, near the rear axle.
It's just a single pipe there. The dual exhaust pipes are behind the muffler.

I agree on underbody trim. The bigger parts at least are made from glass
fibre reinforced plastics and quite tough. You won't break them without
hitting a bigger stone or an accident happening. Bear in mind, at 250 km/h
= 155 mph huge forces act upon all trim parts.

the bruce

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI Mk.V 2008
This is claimed to be 5Q0 825 901 (or 902 ?):

Obviously a used sample. It seems to lack any vents for cooling the gearbox.