GOLFMKV

Underside - Interesting to me only?

the bruce

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI Mk.V 2008
stock GTI:

some Russians prooving reliability (and probably having fun):

This one seems more interesting, as it comes with two gearbox vents and one underneath the turbo and catalyst:

Unfortunately I don't know the part number.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
I'm more interested in what is used on the forthcoming Alltrak estate & if Sherrif eventually do a metal one for the 1.4TSi. Or even better if VW did one in metal as per the old MK4

TheSwede

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf7 Alltrack/Cupra
GTI and R - With standard undertray you don’t need to remove it when you do an oil change. You can easily access the plastic oil plug and that’s good! Both GTI and R are very easy to work with regarding oil / filter change.

On our Golf 7 1.4 TSI there is undertray model "covering" which means I must remove it for an oil change. That’s not good… The filter is placed on this car (front low) so you need to remove it anyway.

I will keep my small model of plastic trim on the R which also benefits the cooling. MPG is not that important.

/Peter

the bruce

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI Mk.V 2008
Dave, when this fibre-reinforced piece does withstand the weight of two wodka-
drunken Russians, do you really think, you need something even more rugged?
I'd say, if you think the plastic one isn't enough, you don't need an even tougher
one, but more ground clearence. :)
Btw, VW did also make a sheet steel one for Mk.V and Mk.VI. ECS sold them,
but now ECS sell their own bellypan (but made from aluminium instead of steel):

http://www.ecstuning.com/News/VW_MK...Aluminum_Skid_Plate_2010_2011_2012_2013_2014/
http://www.ecstuning.com/News/VW_MK..._Street_Shield_2011_2012_2013_2014/ES2777055/

Peter, when an oil change is done every one to two years, I don't really think,
removing three bolts is worth talking about. If you still mind, cut a hole into it -
it's just plastic.

;)

BTW, with the engine bay covered there is noticeably less dust, dirt and salt
(rust, oxidization) in it. Since I experieced this, I know I will never again run a
new car without this.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Dave, when this fibre-reinforced piece does withstand the weight of two wodka-
drunken Russians, do you really think, you need something even more rugged?
I'd say, if you think the plastic one isn't enough, you don't need an even tougher

By the way the picture of the two Russians standing on the under tray...........have you noticed that the side showing is the engine side & is has air scoop ducting along the front left edge...this part is different to the ones in your previous post so what is the part number for the one with the Russians standing on it then?

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
when an oil change is done every one to two years, I don't really think,
removing three bolts is worth talking about. it's just plastic.

Three bolts?.............errr & the rest !! Even with that ESC you have a further 9 torx screws!

Oh & that info re the german using the undertray from the "E" golf with the part number 5Q0 825 901 or 902 is utter rubbish.............!

E- Golf under tray for engine area is 5Q0 825 236P & is only a thin aerodynamic cover, abit for the whole engine area, so not a reinforced stone guard/skid pan.

The part number you quoted 5Q0 825 901 or 902 have all been superseded by 5Q0 825 902C which is circa £195 & requires two drop down brackets part 5Q0 825 921 & various bolts etc. The brackets are shown in the bottom of one of your photos. Total of 7 bolts & 8 torx screws to remove tray for servicing.

Basically looking through ETKA for MK7 golf & other MQB the factory codes to look for (P codes) are:-

P1SB Engine protection grille
P1SK Engine underside & stonechip guard
P1SL Underbody stonechip protection

However trying to get a list of what parts are included under each code for say a Golf is bloody difficult!

Anyway the part 5Q0 825 902C has all the above P codes, eg if your car has these P codes on the full spec list/sticker then it has these fitted. All of these three are not in the UK, only some are.

So I recon that they will just use these existing parts for the alltrak version & have decided to not do a metal version for eco reasons.

P.S re the E-golf, it has different undertrays (parts 5Q0 825 236P, 5QE 825 902B, 5QE 825 229B, 5QE 825 218C) & it would be unwise to use them as you will get too much heat soak into the cabin from the exhaust! Basically instead or two length ways covers between the front & rear wheels with a gap for the exhaust, the E-golf has two width ways covers which totally cover the whole area up, as it has no exhaust! There is also a bigger rear cover under the axle/boot...but of course it has no exhaust..which would be covered up!

AF-MKVI

Go Kart Champion
By the way the picture of the two Russians standing on the under tray...........have you noticed that the side showing is the engine side & is has air scoop ducting along the front left edge...this part is different to the ones in your previous post so what is the part number for the one with the Russians standing on it then?

I'm not 100%, but it looks like the under tray off the MQB Audi A3 with the 2.0T gas engine. I'm going to pick one up and give it a go. I had one just like this on my last MK6 GTI that was off the 2008 R32 and I loved it. Kept all the salt and road grime away from the engine and subframe. I'll respond back if it's a go.

https://www.ecstuning.com/Audi-A3_8V-Quattro-2.0T/Exterior/Body/Belly_Pan/ES2719831/

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
I'm not 100%, but it looks like the under tray off the MQB Audi A3 with the 2.0T gas engine. I'm going to pick one up and give it a go. I had one just like this on my last MK6 GTI that was off the 2008 R32 and I loved it. Kept all the salt and road grime away from the engine and subframe. I'll respond back if it's a go.

https://www.ecstuning.com/Audi-A3_8V-Quattro-2.0T/Exterior/Body/Belly_Pan/ES2719831/

This thread is old & has been superseded by more complete information here:-

http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8532

Also that Audi item you linked to is NOT a skid pan, it is just the full sound deadening aero thin tray fitted to diesel versions..

AF-MKVI

Go Kart Champion
This thread is old & has been superseded by more complete information here:-

http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8532

Also that Audi item you linked to is NOT a skid pan, it is just the full sound deadening aero thin tray fitted to diesel versions..

Thanks, did not see that thread. I did not want to fit a heavy skid pan and have not seen anyone fit the A3 under tray.

Thanks again. :)