GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Typical Interstate Speeds

cb1111

German drivers must attend rigorous and expensive driving classes run by private companies...they pay for it themselves...so when they are done....they know everything there is to know and are very safe drivers....the problem in Germany are the tourists from other countries who don't follow protocol. Now Italy, is another story...they don't have unlimited speed limits, but drivers there drive just as fast as germany, but don't follow ANY guidelines...its a free for all. I was driving on a mountain road in the dolomites and going around blind hairpin turns on one lanes, I was being passed by motorcycles who had no idea of what was around the corner...and I was not driving slow by any means. Greece really tests your driver's skills....I liken Athens to a controlled demolition derby with many traffic circles where there are hundreds of mopeds and scooters and NO rules at all. You have to know where you are going. BTW, I was caught by a traffic camera in germany driving at night in a small town...I guess i was going a little over the limit....It was like a UFO came on us, flashes and pops all over the place. Luckily, I was leasing the car and never got a fine, because the LEASING company was from france. One tip, if you rent a car in Europe, get a diesel, diesel fuel is one dollar cheaper per liter than regular, they make great turbo diesels there so you get performance and economy...I think I averaged 36 mpg in a renault megane travelling at 100+ mph speeds lots of the time.
And few here could pass the USAREUR (US Army Europe) driving test - which is a dumbed down version of the German test. I recall the average driver takes three tries to pass the test.

While the USAREUR test asks questions like "How many times greater is the force of collision if the driving speed is doubled? ", the German tests asks about the average operating temp of the engine, how to change a flat and so forth.

There are some videos too. Not sure why the Army decided to use a 70's German news clip for the winter driving video, but it is a hoot.

Can everyone here pass the test (with the exception of the "which army regulation....")

Last edited:

chillax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI SE plaid
I owned a few different economy cars before my GTI, when I first got the GTI I often found myself accidentally speeding well over 90 in 75 mph zones. I know stock the GTI doesn't have an overwhelming amount of power but cars like my old Honda Civic would strain above the highway speed limit.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I owned a few different economy cars before my GTI, when I first got the GTI I often found myself accidentally speeding well over 90 in 75 mph zones. I know stock the GTI doesn't have an overwhelming amount of power but cars like my old Honda Civic would strain above the highway speed limit.

That's the difference in the gearing. The GTI cruises at a much lower RPM than the Civic you had.

cb1111

My wife had one of those early 90's Civic hatchback things in pickle green (like most of them). To make it up on the interstate between DC and Pennsylvania, you had to turn off the AC (and get out and push). It would top out at 65 or so and barely do 45 going uphill.

Ridebjj

Autocross Champion
I used to own a base model 90s Toyota 4wd pickup, which I drove all over the country, loaded with stuff in the bed, and with a big loaded up Thule box on top. I did a lot of driving into the mountains. There were times I would have killed to make 45mph.

launchd

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2023 M3LR, 2021 A7
80 average - Faster if the roads are clear or I'm passing someone.

Waze + radar help me avoid tickets CONSTANTLY.