Two Tone Austins?

• Go for it!

Votes: 18 69.2%
  • Pass

Votes: 8 30.8%

• Total voters

guitargator6

Ready to race!
So until I can afford a new set of wheels, I've been toying with an idea to spruce up the Austins. I've seen a few different ideas, but nothing that has sold me. I haven't seen a vinyl fully overlay the face of the wheel before so I wanted to give it a shot, so yesterday put some matte black vinyl over the face of the wheel.

I'm not normally a fan of black wheels, but the subtle contrast between matte black and gloss black I think looks pretty cool IMO. The picture shown is probably the highest level of contrast you see. I've only done one wheel so far just to get an idea, but think I'm going to move forward with it.

Let me know what you guys think!

Attachments

• IMG_1409.JPG
    IMG_1409.JPG
    181.3 KB · Views: 3,424

nype

Drag Racing Champion
I think that looks pretty cool actually. Better than the vinyl overlays for sale.

Curious how you cut the lines along the edges so well?

Trainingwheels

Passed Driver's Ed
So until I can afford a new set of wheels, I've been toying with an idea to spruce up the Austins. I've seen a few different ideas, but nothing that has sold me. I haven't seen a vinyl fully overlay the face of the wheel before so I wanted to give it a shot, so yesterday put some matte black vinyl over the face of the wheel.

I'm not normally a fan of black wheels, but the subtle contrast between matte black and gloss black I think looks pretty cool IMO. The picture shown is probably the highest level of contrast you see. I've only done one wheel so far just to get an idea, but think I'm going to move forward with it.

Let me know what you guys think!
That's how I got my MK7 (Painted black OEM rims) do you have video on how you did this mine are starting to get some chips in the paint.

sprinks

Drag Racing Champion

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
I'm in a similar boat. New wheels aren't in the budget for a while, maybe never, so I like this idea. Seems a bit more elegant than just blasting the entire wheel with PlastiDip.

guitargator6

Ready to race!
I think that looks pretty cool actually. Better than the vinyl overlays for sale.

Curious how you cut the lines along the edges so well?

I used a 30 degree angle blade, took forever lol. It’s not as clean as I’d like, I’ll probably use knifeless tape for the other wheels to get a nice clean edge

guitargator6

Ready to race!
That's how I got my MK7 (Painted black OEM rims) do you have video on how you did this mine are starting to get some chips in the paint.

I’d also recommend checking out the YouTube page CK Wraps. I’ve been learning how to do vinyl and his channel is pretty informative. I know he has some videos on how to do wheels too

guitargator6

Ready to race!
I'm in a similar boat. New wheels aren't in the budget for a while, maybe never, so I like this idea. Seems a bit more elegant than just blasting the entire wheel with PlastiDip.

That was my thought too, more durable and easier to wash as well. Preferably I wanted to do bronze vinyl but there really isn’t a good bronze color wrap out there I like. I’m thinking of trying a gunmetal/titanium shade as well

mturner1578

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2017 MK7 GTI 4Dr
I know this is old thread as well but same question as above.. I love this look actually and was considering doing this as well. Do you think it would be relatively the same if I did this same thing but with dip?

dehydorn

Car(s)
GTI
I just got my GTI and this is the first vinyl mod to the Austins I've seen that I might undertake, I like the Matte against the Gloss