GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

TWO Blown turbo's with less than 13k miles!

Hoon

Autocross Champion
I asked to have it in writing, and they said "there will be a note in the system." :eek:

None of the shit sticks at the dealership have any athority when it comes to VWs warranty.

Finance managers suck. The sleaziest people in the dealership. People fight for every inch at the sales desk, walk into the finance office, drop their pants and bend over. Finance Managers = legal rapists.

Juggar

Ready to race!
Yes, you are right... However, even though my car was Stage II, Subaru absolutely took care of me. My car had 80k miles, way outside of the warranty, and my firewall welds broke. They knew my car was stage II, and they told me to flash it back to stock, which I did. They then, not only re-welded and reinforced my firewall, but they also replaced the clutch, free of charge. They blamed my clutch on the firewall, and got it all taken care of. That's why I love Subaru.

Going back to my original point, when I blew the first turbo, I was told I had a full warranty. "EVEN IF THE TURBO BLOWS AGAIN..."

And had your subarus turbo gone they would have told you "sorry". firewall welds are one thing but a tuned car blowing a turbo is entirely another.

Jamie007

Ready to race!
Well, I just got my answer, they said they see a tune on their still, and they will not cover it. They said they saw a second tune, but couldn't tell me when it happened. I guess the JB4 is detectable... Have to pay to play, going to look into an IS38, but no way I'm going to buy a used one, as others have mentioned. After two failed IS20's, maybe I'll be safer? So if I go with an IS38, is there a "stock tune." That is, the same tune as the R, that hopefully is safe? Does it just drop in, or would I need the JB4 for it to be ok?

Juggar

Ready to race!
Well, I just got my answer, they said they see a tune on their still, and they will not cover it. They said they saw a second tune, but couldn't tell me when it happened. I guess the JB4 is detectable... Have to pay to play, going to look into an IS38, but no way I'm going to buy a used one, as others have mentioned. After two failed IS20's, maybe I'll be safer? So if I go with an IS38, is there a "stock tune." That is, the same tune as the R, that hopefully is safe? Does it just drop in, or would I need the JB4 for it to be ok?

Did you leave the JB4 installed?

Edge-man

Don't do IS38... Go with a different turbo option... Also did the dealer say it's just the turbo or do you need to replace the motor? When mine went I had to do both the turbo and the motor...

Tsi7

Ready to race!

So exactly as we all expected... Still can't understand why vw wasted their time and your time so I feel bad for you there, but otherwise you can fix your car properly, hopefully won't have any other issues and if you do you know it'll be on your dime because you don't have warranty anymore

Hoon

Autocross Champion

Hate to tell you, but IS38 offers no reliability advantage over IS20.

Jamie007

Ready to race!
Don't do IS38... Go with a different turbo option... Also did the dealer say it's just the turbo or do you need to replace the motor? When mine went I had to do both the turbo and the motor...

What turbo is reliable in this car? I just need a turbo.

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
lol not in his experience

1 out of thousands of tuned MK7 owners is an odd I would be willing to use to defend the IS20. I've been running a JB1 with +5 psi for over 2 years (and running it hard) without issues, knock on wood.

I'll reiterate my point from before - I think there is something else causing the turbos to grenade. If the turbo that was replaced was used, then that could very well be the cause. There should be no reason a brand new IS20 should fail that easily if everything else is working properly.

carchrism5

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
GTI
Where is the car now? Let's see if people on here can help out. Maybe there is someone local to you that does great work and at reasonable rates. Whatever turbo you end up going with, you are going to want a proper tune on, but I think the bigger thing is finding out exactly what caused the second one to go. I hope you get a quick and not too expensive solution.