GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Turns out I bought a tuned CPO car

Dnkltd

Stock may not be a big letdown. I had an APR stage one and blew an engine. Fortunately warranty covered the cost & I left the car stock after that for the next 60k miles until I sold it.

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
Stock may not be a big letdown. I had an APR stage one and blew an engine. Fortunately warranty covered the cost & I left the car stock after that for the next 60k miles until I sold it.
Coming from a Mazda 3, I highly doubt stock will be a let down. But I fully expect it to not have that face melting surge from the stage 1 high torque tune…

brandofo

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2018 GTI
Coming from a Mazda 3, I highly doubt stock will be a let down. But I fully expect it to not have that face melting surge from the stage 1 high torque tune…
I drove a Mazda 3 for a while and coming to the GTI was a huge difference in power. I have never driven a tuned GTI but I hear the difference is significant from stock.

New tires really improve traction in these cars. Get a set of sticky summer tires and it will transfer the power down much better.

I just read this entire thread today and wanted to say thanks for sharing. You write very clearly and I enjoyed reading how your approach played out with the dealership.

So ultimately both parties came to an understanding that you would keep the car and the dealer will help you in the event of any warranty claim by verifying the car has not been abused? And they will let you flash back and forth from APR to stock at no cost? Did the dealer offer any other gesture of good will or value add items?

Last edited:

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
I drove a Mazda 3 for a while and coming to the GTI was a huge difference in power. I have never driven a tuned GTI but I hear the difference is significant from stock.

I just read this entire thread today and wanted to say thanks for sharing. You write very clearly and I enjoyed seeing how your approach played out with the dealership.

So ultimately both parties came to an understanding that you would keep the car and the dealer will help you in the event of any warranty claim by verifying the car has not been abused? And they will let you flash back and forth from APR to stock at no cost? Did the dealer offer any other gesture of good will or value add items?
Thank you! To answer your questions: Yes, essentially. Yes, to an extent, to try it with and without. Not really, but they offered to buy it back if I’m not satisfied with the outcome. I haven’t asked for additional value-adds yet.

cb1111

It sounds like the dealer handed you that Burger King coupon book.

The reality is that the dealer has reset your expectations by reiterating abuse and saying abuse and stock in the same sentence.

IF (big IF) you have a powertrain failure, the dealer (any dealer) will have to scan the car to get warranty authorization. If the mothership detects an ECU mod, then a decision is made (in Germany) if the mod contributed or caused the failure. If so, then the claim is denied.

In reality, "abuse" claims aren't denied by VW, they are denied by the dealership acting for the manufacturer. Dealers will deny the claim because they know that VW may want the failed part back (primarily for analysis to determine why it failed) and if it looks like abuse, then vW will refuse the claim and VW will charge the dealer back.

The dealer needs to say "if VW denies the warranty claim because of the APR modification, then the dealership will cover it.

However, the dealer has you over a barrel - they know you don't want to give it back, so if they throw you any sort of a bone, then you'll go away.

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
It sounds like the dealer handed you that Burger King coupon book.

The reality is that the dealer has reset your expectations by reiterating abuse and saying abuse and stock in the same sentence.

IF (big IF) you have a powertrain failure, the dealer (any dealer) will have to scan the car to get warranty authorization. If the mothership detects an ECU mod, then a decision is made (in Germany) if the mod contributed or caused the failure. If so, then the claim is denied.

In reality, "abuse" claims aren't denied by VW, they are denied by the dealership acting for the manufacturer. Dealers will deny the claim because they know that VW may want the failed part back (primarily for analysis to determine why it failed) and if it looks like abuse, then vW will refuse the claim and VW will charge the dealer back.

The dealer needs to say "if VW denies the warranty claim because of the APR modification, then the dealership will cover it.

However, the dealer has you over a barrel - they know you don't want to give it back, so if they throw you any sort of a bone, then you'll go away.
The dealership owner and multiple staff would have had to completely lie to me multiple times for all of that to be true.

Maybe.

It doesn’t change the outcome for me either way. Considering what I paid, I hardly came out behind on this.

brandofo

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2018 GTI
Thank you! To answer your questions: Yes, essentially. Yes, to an extent, to try it with and without. Not really, but they offered to buy it back if I’m not satisfied with the outcome. I haven’t asked for additional value-adds yet.
Okay that makes sense. I really like thinking of these situations from a game theory perspective. Trying to figure out what both sides want, and how they might try to come to a deal or not. And what information each side would want to protect or reveal to the other.

I was thinking at the start you had pretty good leverage because you were perceived as a frustrated customer who had been lied to and bought something that was advertised differently than what it really was. You rightfully wanted compensation in some form.

For the dealer, the initial strategy is to delay and just let the clock run out some of your options. It seemed like the leverage switched to the dealers favor once they knew you wanted to keep the car and keep the tune on it. At that point they dont really have to offer anything except a buy back, which they know you don't want and they already sold your trade in.

You handled the situation very maturely and professionally. But would you have done anything different if you had to start over at the beginning?

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
Okay that makes sense. I really like thinking of these situations from a game theory perspective. Trying to figure out what both sides want, and how they might try to come to a deal or not. And what information each side would want to protect or reveal to the other.

I was thinking at the start you had pretty good leverage because you were perceived as a frustrated customer who had been lied to and bought something that was advertised differently than what it really was. You rightfully wanted compensation in some form.

For the dealer, the initial strategy is to delay and just let the clock run out some of your options. It seemed like the leverage switched to the dealers favor once they knew you wanted to keep the car and keep the tune on it. At that point they dont really have to offer anything except a buy back, which they know you don't want and they already sold your trade in.

You handled the situation very maturely and professionally. But would you have done anything different if you had to start over at the beginning?
I wouldn’t. I always wanted to keep the car. The car is immaculately and fully maintained and taken care of. And I got it below market. Compared to the rest of the market, I didn’t pay a premium for CPO — I actually paid less. So I tried to get what I wanted and didn’t. Doesn’t really change much for me.

My leverage in conversations was always more about the questionable legality of their lack of disclosure and misrepresenting the warranty. They resolved that to my satisfaction outside of the purview of this thread

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
To be clear: I didn’t say “no way I’m giving the car back.” And in fact I told the owner that’s an option if they can’t resolve this to my satisfaction. But it was one of the first things they offered. So I don’t think I gave up any leverage with that, or at least had any choice.

But I think they would be happy to get the car back so they can sell at at the market rate 😂

If there was another GTI in the area at this price, I might have some leverage. But LOL I don’t because there ain’t.

Last edited:

brandofo

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2018 GTI
To be clear: I didn’t say “no way I’m giving the car back.” And in fact I told the owner that’s an option if they can’t resolve this to my satisfaction. But it was one of the first things they offered. So I don’t think I gave up any leverage with that, or at least had any choice.

But I think they would be happy to get the car back so they can sell at at the market rate 😂
At the end of the day, you got a good car with a good service history and a free ECU and TCU tune. And a closer relationship with the dealer than you had after the initial sale. I would have held out for free wifi and K cups in the waiting area on my next oil change though.

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
At the end of the day, you got a good car with a good service history and a free ECU and TCU tune. And a closer relationship with the dealer than you had after the initial sale. I would have held out for free wifi and K cups in the waiting area on my next oil change though.
Don’t think this is over. I’m still going for the hat. I NEED IT.

cb1111

The dealership owner and multiple staff would have had to completely lie to me multiple times for all of that to be true.

Maybe.

It doesn’t change the outcome for me either way. Considering what I paid, I hardly came out behind on this.
It is true. What part did they say wasn't true?

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
It is true. What part did they say wasn't true?
You seem to be saying that if the ECU has been modified, then VW will automatically deny a powertrain warranty claim. But the dealer has explained to me why that’s not true, and that they have many examples of powertrain warranties replacing major components on tuned cars. In part this is due to the dealership’s supporting info indicating the car wasn’t abused.

I went all the way to the top to get a guarantee on the warranty. Not happening.

Last edited:

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
If you enjoy the power the tune gives you you will definitely be let down with the stock tune.