GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Turbo Inlet Pipe (TIP) Comprehensive Thread

2013R

Drag Race Newbie
Just FYI, Uni’s design magic has to be in the overall contour and eliminating the protrusion of the PCV port. The TIP inlets and outlets are not considerably larger than stock; like only hundredths of an inch larger.

the main thing is the gradual reduction on their design, where many others have a sharp reduction at one end. not so convinced that it gives me 6 to my wheels though, and it changed any sound zero in my opinion.

Dannicuss

Passed Driver's Ed
the main thing is the gradual reduction on their design, where many others have a sharp reduction at one end. not so convinced that it gives me 6 to my wheels though, and it changed any sound zero in my opinion.

Agreed. Did you run it with an open style intake?

SugarMouth

Drag Race Newbie
>Here< is the opinion of Mike Levitas on an inlet design that looks very similar to the Unitronic.

Attachments

• InletGT2.jpg
    InletGT2.jpg
    582.8 KB · Views: 788

arob157

Drag Racing Champion
I am running the Uni TIP currently. Had my doubts about aftermarket TIP effectiveness, but I was surprised with Uni's TIP performance.

I took some logs and boost spike on a 3rd gear, 2000-6500rpm log has dropped significantly at 3000rpm enough to drop my actuator setting map. While not a Dyno, my logs are showing ~10Nm more torque through 4000+ rpm with no other tune adjustments.

Let's the IS20 breath a bit better above 4000rpm. Adding a Autotech intake this week. We will see about hose fitment. Might be an issue. Benefits on a hybrid would probably be significant. Sure it is 2-4%, but feels worth it to me.

That said, might just be $ticker / butt dyno justifications.

2013R

Drag Race Newbie
>Here< is the opinion of Mike Levitas on an inlet design that looks very similar to the Unitronic.
that sort of says the opposite of the uni really, as the oem piece purposely gets smaller at the turbo inlet to reduce speed and increase turbo efficiency.

but i guess its all sort of the same in either part, as the intake is always a bigger hole than the turbo inlet...

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
that sort of says the opposite of the uni really, as the oem piece purposely gets smaller at the turbo inlet to reduce speed and increase turbo efficiency.

but i guess its all sort of the same in either part, as the intake is always a bigger hole than the turbo inlet...
Getting smaller increases speed and reduces static pressure.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

John@Unitronic

Go Kart Champion
Your inlet pipe does the opposite of what the one in the video does. The Unitronic elbow increases the velocity of the air exiting the part.

I disagree; our part is designed in a very similar manner and shares the same intent — if anything, you can see this by merely looking at the profile similarities!! I didn't mention anything about increase in velocity; just increase in uniform velocity across the opening. Here's my post, in case you need a refresher:

On a basic level, the stock elbow demonstrated non-uniform Pressure and velocity profiles across the opening, indicating areas of potential performance losses.

Stock Inlet Velocity Plot — shows a level of non-uniform velocities across the opening.

Unitronic Inlet Velocity Plot — In comparison, it provides an increase in uniform velocity across the opening.

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
I didn't mention anything about increase in velocity; just increase in uniform velocity across the opening.

With all due respect, you are contradicting yourself in that statement. Are you increasing the velocity or not?
Or did you want to say you improved the flow in a way that makes its velocity profile more uniform?

John@Unitronic

Go Kart Champion
With all due respect, you are contradicting yourself in that statement. Are you increasing the velocity or not?
Or did you want to say you improved the flow in a way that makes its velocity profile more uniform?

Thanks for your input. Let me phrase differently — I mentioned an increase in uniformity, across the opening. Uniformity in what you may ask? Uniformity in the velocity profile across the opening.

MyGolfMk7

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
B5 S4, Mk7 GTI
I disagree; our part is designed in a very similar manner and shares the same intent — if anything, you can see this by merely looking at the profile similarities!! I didn't mention anything about increase in velocity; just increase in uniform velocity across the opening. Here's my post, in case you need a refresher:

I was referring to this statement from the video clip:

"you see how large that elbow is, so what it's doing is as the mass comes in there and it goes into a larger divergent duct it slows down the mass air so that it walks over the inlet of the compressor at a lower speed. That lower speed increases the efficiency of the compressor section"

I don't know if I agree with the conclusion he makes, but when you responded to this video link saying "Nice catch; you get it" I didn't see where there was a similarity between what your inlet pipe is doing in comparison to what the person on the video is claiming takes place with the Porsche inlet.

I don't think the business of uniform velocity is of concern with the MQB inlet, I think any of the inlets probably are fine in that regard.

Dannicuss

Passed Driver's Ed
I was referring to this statement from the video clip:

"you see how large that elbow is, so what it's doing is as the mass comes in there and it goes into a larger divergent duct it slows down the mass air so that it walks over the inlet of the compressor at a lower speed. That lower speed increases the efficiency of the compressor section"

I don't know if I agree with the conclusion he makes, but when you responded to this video link saying "Nice catch; you get it" I didn't see where there was a similarity between what your inlet pipe is doing in comparison to what the person on the video is claiming takes place with the Porsche inlet.

I don't think the business of uniform velocity is of concern with the MQB inlet, I think any of the inlets probably are fine in that regard.

If they aren’t some special design that benefits from funky airflow, uniform velocity is absolutely a concern of the inlet of our turbos. Just happens to be the nature of radial compressors. Not to say the difference would register at the seat of your pants in this case.

MyGolfMk7

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
B5 S4, Mk7 GTI
If they aren’t some special design that benefits from funky airflow, uniform velocity is absolutely a concern of the inlet of our turbos. Just happens to be the nature of radial compressors. Not to say the difference would register at the seat of your pants in this case.

I don't think the MQB inlet has a problem with non-uniform velocity distribution at the compressor inducer, that is what I was saying.