GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

TTRS Brembo Upgrade Info

krs

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MKVIIS R
Is there any consolidated wheel fitment thread out there for these with the 370mm rotors?

I’m about to purchase some Apex wheels, but wondering if there’s others I can entertain that are known to fit.

Just ordered the Apex SM-10's in 18x9. They had their black ones on sale, would have preferred a different color, but not to the tune of another $300+.

krs

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MKVIIS R
Just ordered the Apex SM-10's in 18x9. They had their black ones on sale, would have preferred a different color, but not to the tune of another $300+.

Going to ceramic coat them, then swap my tires over.

IMG_3335.jpeg

GolfRRRR1

Go Kart Champion
Going to ceramic coat them, then swap my tires over.

View attachment 285888
Nice, be careful ceramic coating them as the weights won't stick and fly off. Ceramic coat after mounting or just don't do the barrel. I would ceramic coat the face, mount tires then coat the barrel. Good luck.

Reactions: krs

krs

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MKVIIS R
Nice, be careful ceramic coating them as the weights won't stick and fly off. Ceramic coat after mounting or just don't do the barrel. I would ceramic coat the face, mount tires then coat the barrel. Good luck.

Good to know.

These are for my race tires, and I don't have them balance them with weights anyways. Mainly because I don't want to pay for that all the time, and when I flip my tires it's just another expense that I try not to bleed cash on.

Maiden69

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI
This is nonsense. I have ceramic coated all my wheels, with pro coatings which are harder and slicker and never had an issue. I also recommend anyone buying new wheels to coat them before they even install the tires, as I have done all the time. My wife had a flat on her brand new HRE wheels that I coated and I had a hard time removing the left over glue from the weights they removed when they rebalanced the wheels.

GolfRRRR1

Go Kart Champion
This is nonsense. I have ceramic coated all my wheels, with pro coatings which are harder and slicker and never had an issue. I also recommend anyone buying new wheels to coat them before they even install the tires, as I have done all the time. My wife had a flat on her brand new HRE wheels that I coated and I had a hard time removing the left over glue from the weights they removed when they rebalanced the wheels.
I lost weights on ceramic coated wheels, so i always suggest it.

scrllock

Autocross Champion
yeah I don't get this at all. I've had all my wheels ceramic coated and the only ones that have lost weights are the track set, which is normal.

Maiden69

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI
I lost weights on ceramic coated wheels, so i always suggest it.
There are many factors which could cause the weights to come off. Especially on cars that see track use. Back in the day, way before ceramic coating was a thing I remember guys using duct tape on their stick on weights as an added protection on track cars... a little overkill, but I'm sure they had good results as they did it all the time.

slipperywhenwet

Go Kart Newbie
As stated, ceramic coating the barrel can cause the weights to fall off of the wheel, if they even stick at all. If you are going to get the barrel coated, ensure to take it to a shop that knows how to deal with coated wheels (that they need to buff the area directly under the weights).

krs

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MKVIIS R
As stated, ceramic coating the barrel can cause the weights to fall off of the wheel, if they even stick at all. If you are going to get the barrel coated, ensure to take it to a shop that knows how to deal with coated wheels (that they need to buff the area directly under the weights).

Good info to consider for those that want it.

I don’t balance my race wheels, waste of time and money spent. So I’m not concerned.

Last edited:

scrllock

Autocross Champion
Good info to consider for those that need it.

I don’t balance my race wheels, waste of time and money spent. So I’m not concerned.
this is misinformation. all of my wheels are fully ceramic coated and the only ones that have fallen off were due to track heat, which is likely to happen despite coatings. it's like saying that a sticker won't adhere to a glass window. like, what?

Maiden69

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI
this is misinformation. all of my wheels are fully ceramic coated and the only ones that have fallen off were due to track heat, which is likely to happen despite coatings. it's like saying that a sticker won't adhere to a glass window. like, what?
I'm getting to a point that I I just ignore them... they can do whatever they want with their wheels. Coat them, don't coat them, coat the face, coat the barrel but after the weights are on, ask the tech to buff the place under the weights.

Almost all ceramic coatings are a form of GLASS, not a wax or oil... DIY are mostly silica, silicon dioxide, or SiO2 however you want to call it, while most of the professional ones are SiC, silicon carbide. You also have the newest kid on the block graphene. While they are great at repealing dust and water, adhesive will adhere to it. If the weights are flying out under normal driving there was something else contaminating the surface.

scrllock

Autocross Champion
I'm getting to a point that I I just ignore them... they can do whatever they want with their wheels. Coat them, don't coat them, coat the face, coat the barrel but after the weights are on, ask the tech to buff the place under the weights.

Almost all ceramic coatings are a form of GLASS, not a wax or oil... DIY are mostly silica, silicon dioxide, or SiO2 however you want to call it, while most of the professional ones are SiC, silicon carbide. You also have the newest kid on the block graphene. While they are great at repealing dust and water, adhesive will adhere to it. If the weights are flying out under normal driving there was something else contaminating the surface.
If anything, coated wheels are better at keeping weights on, since you or the tech should be cleaning them prior to putting weights on, and coating makes the cleaning a heck of a lot easier. they don't adhere to dirty surfaces, that's the real issue.

krs

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MKVIIS R

Yeah, I was talking to the guy that ceramic coated my Atlas, and the topic of wheel weights came up when he was telling me how to coat my rims. He said he's never heard of that happening from any of his clients.

My OZ daily wheels were coated, and the weights were a PITA to remove and clean up. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Different results, for different conditions, but I'm not concerned personally.

slipperywhenwet

Go Kart Newbie
This is not misinformation. This is exactly what happened to my wheels. While I was standing there watching.

I had informed my shop that they were coated. They said that they would need to buff the area under the weights so that they didn't fall off. I was skeptical, so the owner showed me, in person, what happens when he sticks the weights on without doing so. They stuck for about 15 seconds and then fell off.

Maybe it hasn't happened to your wheels, but just because it doesn't happen to your wheels, doesn't mean that it doesn't happen.

Anyway, you do you, I'm going to take the extra precaution.