GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Trailing arm upgrade

B3mt1

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Mk7 2.0TDI Hatch '16
Hi all, I am looking for a trailing arm upgrade. As far I have seen people see quite positive responses in that upgrade, especially on turn in. As far I see there are three options and would appreciate some feedback from people who has done those retrofits.
  1. Ball joint options. For me this is least desirable option. For sure it is great in terms of performance as there is no bushing binding but it is quite expensive and for sure increases NVH. So I am crossing this out for myself. Quite expensive with price tag of 300 euros and more.
  2. Polybushings, quite cheap (around 60 euros for a set) also there should not be any binding. I am worried here on of NVH increase.
  3. Passat B8 & Arteon hydrobearing which is used on vehicle with adaptive suspension. For that to work also sheet metal piece would need to be changed because hydrobushing is couple of millimeters larger. NVH should be ok as it is OEM part, but not so sure about performance benefit. Price, 200 euro. Part number 3Q0505223A & 3Q0505224A for oem parts, possibility to save little bit on replacement parts.
Any suggestions and opinions are appreciated.

scrllock

Autocross Champion
Interesting, didn't know there was an OE option.

Don't see how it would be worthwhile given the low cost of urethane bushings tho. The arms are very cheap here (rockauto) and there was no noticeable NVH increase for me. Superpro fwiw.

B3mt1

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Mk7 2.0TDI Hatch '16
Interesting, didn't know there was an OE option.

Don't see how it would be worthwhile given the low cost of urethane bushings tho. The arms are very cheap here (rockauto) and there was no noticeable NVH increase for me. Superpro fwiw.
When you say no noticeable are you saying no NVH increase or there is some small increase?
How would you rate performance increase of poly bushing?

On OE option, yeah, I have not found anything internet, weird, not sure how no one tried it before.

JerseyDrew77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 TR GTI S 6MT
Hi all, I am looking for a trailing arm upgrade. As far I have seen people see quite positive responses in that upgrade, especially on turn in. As far I see there are three options and would appreciate some feedback from people who has done those retrofits.
  1. Ball joint options. For me this is least desirable option. For sure it is great in terms of performance as there is no bushing binding but it is quite expensive and for sure increases NVH. So I am crossing this out for myself. Quite expensive with price tag of 300 euros and more.
  2. Polybushings, quite cheap (around 60 euros for a set) also there should not be any binding. I am worried here on of NVH increase.
  3. Passat B8 & Arteon hydrobearing which is used on vehicle with adaptive suspension. For that to work also sheet metal piece would need to be changed because hydrobushing is couple of millimeters larger. NVH should be ok as it is OEM part, but not so sure about performance benefit. Price, 200 euro. Part number 3Q0505223A & 3Q0505224A for oem parts, possibility to save little bit on replacement parts.
Any suggestions and opinions are appreciated.
What's your budget for the trailing arms? If money isn't a problem, then go with Verkline because they are adjustable and probably the best upgrade for this part. They are not cheap. Cost me over a thousand for them.

https://verklineusa.com/products/was-041

krs

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MKVIIS R
I went with the Powerflex trailing arm bushing. I cannot speak to the NVH as I did some front end work at the same time, which did add NVH.

B3mt1

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Mk7 2.0TDI Hatch '16
What's your budget for the trailing arms? If money isn't a problem, then go with Verkline because they are adjustable and probably the best upgrade for this part. They are not cheap. Cost me over a thousand for them.

https://verklineusa.com/products/was-041
That is out of my budget and for sure would see NVH increase.
I went with the Powerflex trailing arm bushing. I cannot speak to the NVH as I did some front end work at the same time, which did add NVH.
Ok, thank you. I already have CSS front A-arm bushings and rear CSS arm and there was NVH increase.

So to narrow down little bit options, I would say poly bushing and OE option are the main contenders.
Hope someone can share feedback on NVH who has done only poly bush upgrade.

krs

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MKVIIS R
That is out of my budget and for sure would see NVH increase.

Ok, thank you. I already have CSS front A-arm bushings and rear CSS arm and there was NVH increase.

So to narrow down little bit options, I would say poly bushing and OE option are the main contenders.
Hope someone can share feedback on NVH who has done only poly bush upgrade.

I would wager a bet that the rears really didn’t add anything noticeable. I can’t notice anything coming from the back, but as you probably experienced the front had some added.

scrllock

Autocross Champion
When you say no noticeable are you saying no NVH increase or there is some small increase?
How would you rate performance increase of poly bushing?

On OE option, yeah, I have not found anything internet, weird, not sure how no one tried it before.
I noticed extra feedback from the bushings, I think they pair well with a front LCA bushing upgrade. Any increase in feedback is kinda synonymous with harshness, but it's much more pleasant than a spherical bearing. I would personally not want to street drive on, say, verkline arms.