GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Towing GTI - Dolly vs Trailer

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
Hey everyone, I'm moving next week to Vegas and plan on towing my GTI behind the UHaul. I have an option of using a two-wheel dolly or a four-wheel trailer but I'm not completely sure which is best, easier, or if there's even really much of a difference at all.

The trailer seems better however I read that VoA has never authorized any of their cars for being flat towed (but it happens anyways). I don't see why a flat tow would be bad for it.... Anyone have insight or past experiences to share?

Hoon

Autocross Champion
Flat tow = all four wheels on the ground, rolling behind the tow vehicle.

Both will work but the trailer is better than a dolly.

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
Flat tow = all four wheels on the ground, rolling behind the tow vehicle.

Both will work but the trailer is better than a dolly.

Ah, so I misunderstood what they meant by flat tow. So the trailer would be worth the extra $ for peace of mind? Pretty sure it was only a difference of about $20

Hoon

Autocross Champion
Ah, so I misunderstood what they meant by flat tow. So the trailer would be worth the extra $ for peace of mind? Pretty sure it was only a difference of about $20

Definitely get the trailer for an extra $20.

No brainier IMO.

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
Lol alright trailer it is. And I'll try to remember to take pics for Mud. Thanks guys

ebg18t

Ready to race!
Trailer all the way. At least with a trailer you can backup, with a car on the dolly you really can’t do that...

Hambone

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2020 TR GTI SE
Trailer also saves wear on your rear tires. I lived in Vegas for a few years and enjoyed it. Careful around the NHP though, they mean business!

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
As someone who’s hauled several makes and models on several trailers (none of them being uhaul) here’s a few tips to keep in mind.

-Our cars are fairly low, so consider that when picking a spot to load. Ideally back the trailer into a driveway transition or up to an accessible curb to reduce the difference in deck height as much as possible so your front bumper doesn’t scrape the ramps.

-Always load forward. Tongue weight is key, because with too much weight aft of the CG the trailer will sway and become harder to control the faster you go.

-If they’re available always use tire straps or strap through the wheels. This allows the suspension of the car to bounce as much as it wants without the possibility of the straps falling off (hard compression + already loose straps = possible chance for it to fall off).
Not always practical or available, as you’ll see in my pictures only the mk6 is strapped through the wheels, but that’s definitely the preferred method.

-Always check your straps! My usual method is to drive a 1/4 mile or so then stop to re check everything. Any misalignment will start working itself out pretty quick so rechecking right after you leave is important. Depending on road conditions check again every so often, at the very least every time you stop for food/gas ect

-Should go without saying, but check the trailer tire pressure before loading and triple check the hitch and all lights. People suck at driving and don’t give you extra room just because you’re in a big truck and trailer so being sure everything works as it should is cheap insurance from being hit or stuck on the side of the road somewhere

Last edited:

Hoon

Autocross Champion
-Always load forward. Tongue weight is key, because with too much weight aft of the CG the trailer will sway and become harder to control the faster you go.

Excellent advice from Jake all around. This part in particular is critical, inadequate tongue weight can cause instability, to the point of the tail wagging the dog.

Rule of thumb is 10% of the weight of the trailer and load should be tongue weight.

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
As someone who’s hauled several makes and models on several trailers (none of them being uhaul) here’s a few tips to keep in mind.

-Our cars are fairly low, so consider that when picking a spot to load. Ideally back the trailer into a driveway transition or up to an accessible curb to reduce the difference in deck height as much as possible so your front bumper doesn’t scrape the ramps.

-If they’re available always use tire straps or strap through the wheels. This allows the suspension of the car to bounce as much as it wants without the possibility of the straps falling off (hard compression + already loose straps = possible chance for it to fall off).
Not always practical or available, as you’ll see in my pictures only the mk6 is strapped through the wheels, but that’s definitely the preferred method.

-Always check your straps! My usual method is to drive a 1/4 mile or so then stop to re check everything. Any misalignment will start working itself out pretty quick so rechecking right after you leave is important. Depending on road conditions check again every so often, at the very least every time you stop for food/gas ect

-Should go without saying, but check the trailer tire pressure before loading and triple check the hitch and all lights. People suck at driving and don’t give you extra room just because you’re in a big truck and trailer so being sure everything works as it should is cheap insurance from being hit or stuck on the side of the road somewhere

Thanks for the tips. I know the general rule is 55mph (at least it is here in California) for towing but how dangerous is it getting up to 60/65mph? I'm going to be doing a lot of driving through the desert on long straight roads where majority of traffic is traveling well over 80mph

Last edited: