GOLFMKV

Tornado Red GTD

.:KindiGTI

Go Kart Champion
looks great!! I want to ride in a GTD one day

I'll contact you if i'm ever in scotland :D

DW58

Go Kart Champion
Very nice - despite needing a 5-door myself I still prefer the look of 3-door Golfs.

How are you finding the Bridgestone tyres, I had them on my Mk6 and only since getting the Contis on my Mk7 that I've realisd how much noisier the Bridgestones were. There again I see yours are Potenzas, an altogether different tyre to the Turanzas I had - wouldn't want them again.

Rf860

Passed Driver's Ed
Yeah, the 3 door looks better IMO. I actually had to wait longer for the 3 door model!

They are good tyres, and inspire confidence when driving, however they create quite a large amount of road noise on certain surfaces. I have to admit, my heart sank a little when I saw that they were fitted to mine. Had hoped for the contis, never mind!

DW58

Go Kart Champion
I was seriously chuffed when mine showed up with the ConiPremiumContact 5s, especially as I had just bought the ContiWinterContact TS850s for it. They are very quiet in comparison to the Turanzas.

Enjoy your new car, it looks great. I parked next to a 5-door Tornado Red GTD this morning in town - the guy already had winter tyres on it and the lucky sod had found a set of Talladegas (Mk6 Golf R wheels like out Swiss member has), they looked really good on it.

Geomets

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf mk7 GTI
Very nice - despite needing a 5-door myself I still prefer the look of 3-door Golfs.

How are you finding the Bridgestone tyres, I had them on my Mk6 and only since getting the Contis on my Mk7 that I've realisd how much noisier the Bridgestones were. There again I see yours are Potenzas, an altogether different tyre to the Turanzas I had - wouldn't want them again.

I noticed that Potenzas RE050A are...ok until the 15000km mark. After that (and a hot summer probably) they turn into...wood! I had them factory fitted in my Peugeot 207 RC. In ~15000km I thought that the car broke down. No lateral grip in dry, twisty roads with ambient temperature above 15°C and plenty of tread at the shoulders of the tyre. Noise? Ha! Lots of it, as if the rubber turned into...matchbox standards! Changed them immediately, the handling transformed, the noise disappeared. My brother bought an mk6 GTI, same tyre factory fitted as mine. A little after 18000km, exactly the same problems arose with the Potenzas. Never considered them as an option again. Of course, that could happen because of our country's poor quality tarmac, with no to tiny grip when dry:mad: and thus the tyres cannot "rub" themselves and wear normally and keep gripping. I don't blame the company, they make good tyres (I hear from reviews) but they certainly don't fit our roads.

Rf860

Passed Driver's Ed
I was seriously chuffed when mine showed up with the ConiPremiumContact 5s, especially as I had just bought the ContiWinterContact TS850s for it. They are very quiet in comparison to the Turanzas.

Enjoy your new car, it looks great. I parked next to a 5-door Tornado Red GTD this morning in town - the guy already had winter tyres on it and the lucky sod had found a set of Talladegas (Mk6 Golf R wheels like out Swiss member has), they looked really good on it.

Cheers rob. I going to see how things pan out - whether or not I need winter tyres. Will be my first winter in Aberdeen so potentially it could be a good investment!

DW58

Go Kart Champion
Aberdeen itself can be hit quite hard, but all roads out can be nasty. I would - check out MrWinterTyres.co.uk - I got a great deal from them on wheels and tyres.

Caveat If you are going to get winter tyres don't hang about as prices usually go up and stocks get low around this time of year.

Rf860

Passed Driver's Ed
Yeah I hate driving in Aberdeen full stop, weather aside!

I'll make a judgement over the next couple weeks to see if I should get any or not.

DW58

Go Kart Champion
Aberdeen is a nightmare for traffic - my son is at Uni there, but luckily he goes to/from most of the time by train as I hate having to drive in the city. I first worked in Aberdeen in the early eighties, it was bad enough then but has got steadily worse.

Rf860

Passed Driver's Ed
Aberdeen is a nightmare for traffic - my son is at Uni there, but luckily he goes to/from most of the time by train as I hate having to drive in the city. I first worked in Aberdeen in the early eighties, it was bad enough then but has got steadily worse.

It wouldn't be half as bad if the folk driving in Aberdeen weren't so hesitant. I don't understand it. Never mind, it's off topic anyway!

redbutcher

Ready to race!
Very nice!

Mark V1

Go Kart Champion
Going back to the original post... lovely car!!! And great to see a 3-door. The side on shots really show the slope of the roof down to the rear which i have not noticed before...