GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Top Tier Gas

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
I just read an article by a TV station that stated there is less carbon buildup using top tier gas.

https://www.ksdk.com/article/news/v...ostco/63-e3234471-d5a5-4f86-a18a-9eec5ba0ac49

So, those of you who have had carbon buildup on their valves, do you always use top tier gas? How about those who did, have you had carbon buildup? I bought my last car, a 2007 GTI, used. It had about 28,000 miles on it. I had starting problems by 32,000, even though I used top tier from when I bought it. It would crank longer than it should have when it was hot. It still had original warranty and CPO, so the dealer looked for something they could make money on, like injectors and coils, fuel pump, etc., even if it was from me, and found nothing. I didn't have it scoped, but I guessed it was from carbon. Going by the wear in the hatch area and mileage when I bought it, it's possible it was not driven by someone who didn't care about their cars as much as most of us do, and never used top tier. So I have no real frame of reference. I have 28,000 on my R, and it still starts fine. Any real life experience out here?

JC_451

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Granny driving causes build up.

You could use top tier gas, drive around at 1500 rpm in 5th and you're gonna get build up.

nosmirk

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
7.5 DSG
Italian tuneup helps remove loose deposits. DI engines are the main cause of the buildup, as I understand it.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
If the fuel isn't touching the valves, it doesn't do a whole helluva lot here with DI. Carbon build up is what it is - you get it from the oily vapor being re-plubmed through the intake tract from the PCV. Driving hard sometimes seems to help by keeping cylinder temps hight. Top Tier is good stuff and does keep the injectors clean but I still run a can of PEA-based cleaner (Liquimoly DI Jectron) every oil change.

tigeo

Autocross Champion

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
I'm getting old, I forgot. I open it up when I can. Couldn't the past week, because I half shredded a tire. It held air, but I had to drive very easy for a few days until my order came in.

Reactions: krs

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
https://www.toptiergas.com/gasoline-brands/

Try find a station that is NOT on the list. The vast majority are, it doesn't mean that if it's not on the list it doesn't meet the qualifications. It just they are not paying for the certification. Common sense: avoid the place that is .20 cents per gallon less than the others.

Mud

scrllock

Autocross Champion
Marathon and Mobil are both on their brand list, but many of their stations around here are not on the map, nor do their pumps carry the top tier sticker. Unsurprisingly, they're the ones charging 20 cents less..

I keep it simple, buy costco top tier when I'm saving money on the daily, shell 93 if I'm not buying e85 (which is never top tier branded, of course).

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Marathon and Mobil are both on their brand list, but many of their stations around here are not on the map, nor do their pumps carry the top tier sticker. Unsurprisingly, they're the ones charging 20 cents less..

I keep it simple, buy costco top tier when I'm saving money on the daily, shell 93 if I'm not buying e85 (which is never top tier branded, of course).
Interesting thing around me. I have a Quik Trip on one side of town that has the Top Tier sticker. Another on the other side of town used to, but it looks like they've removed them haha.

scrllock

Autocross Champion
My understanding is that most brands are sharing refineries these days, but have their own additive packages (which is generally what top tier certifies). And in the studies on top tier, some were 30% cleaner than other top-tier cert'd brands. All I know is I'm not using Speedway...

clownish

just clowning around
Car(s)
VWs
Shell or Costco or gtfo. I buy basically anything available when I'm on a roadtrip though. Since it's getting burned straight away and not sitting around.

AdamSheikh

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
15 GTI | 24 RS 3
I swear by Shell - consistently good quality gas that's never given me issues. Aside from being on road trips, it's all I use.

Their rewards app is nice too, especially now that they have a platinum tier that gives ten cents off per gallon by default, with more discounts on occasion that stack. Also like using their app to pay via ApplePay and get more cash back and not worry about card skimmers etc.