GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Thinking bout an Golf R -> RS3. Anyone do this?

mmdb

Drag Racing Champion
Called a few Audi dealerships inquiring about the new RS3, needless to say there's quiet a waitlist. Worst, there's market adjust aka dealer markup. It doesn't sit well with me to pay 10k+ over MSRP for nothing (dealer markup). So I'll be considering an RS3 motorswap. One hurdle is of course the CA smog. There NO WAY I'll be BARing or state ref'ing an rs3 swapped motor in the R. I don't think it's even possible, and this is due to the downpipe and cats (downpipe needs to be modified). Though I'm more than happen to be proven wrong. Anyway. No thanks to dealers again. I'll probably get a Tesla down a few years from now due to not having to deal with dealers. Or maybe just get an RS3 older model. I'm really bouncing between the three (Rs3 motorswap, RS3 (New) and RS3 (used).

If I'd had to rate it I'd probably prefer in the following order:
1. RS3 (New)... no hassle... cost a lot
2. RS3 (old)... body style is nicer than the new one.
3. RS3 Swap into the R... Risky. If I get cited even once it's game over for the car and will be a offroad, unregistered vehicle.

Last edited:

Malttv5

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2015 mk7 R , 2015 Po
We're mostly in the US. No SEAT or Skoda for us.
Seat tired but failed in OZ ,Skoda are holding in there and suppling another option to VAG . CUPRA is going to be the new kid on the block mid year ,will be interesting to see how they go .
Cheers

aloha_from_bradley

Autocross Champion
Called a few Audi dealerships inquiring about the new RS3, needless to say there's quiet a waitlist. Worst, there's market adjust aka dealer markup. It doesn't sit well with me to pay 10k+ over MSRP for nothing (dealer markup). So I'll be considering an RS3 motorswap. One hurdle is of course the CA smog. There NO WAY I'll be BARing or state ref'ing an rs3 swapped motor in the R. I don't think it's even possible, and this is due to the downpipe and cats (downpipe needs to be modified). Though I'm more than happen to be proven wrong. Anyway. No thanks to dealers again. I'll probably get a Tesla down a few years from now due to not having to deal with dealers. Or maybe just get an RS3 older model. I'm really bouncing between the three (Rs3 motorswap, RS3 (New) and RS3 (used).

If I'd had to rate it I'd probably prefer in the following order:
1. RS3 (New)... no hassle... cost a lot
2. RS3 (old)... body style is nicer than the new one.
3. RS3 Swap into the R... Risky. If I get cited even once it's game over for the car and will be a offroad, unregistered vehicle.

I know of a dealership that has no reservations currently and is selling the RS3 @ MSRP.

PM me if you'd like more information. A small fee to ship the car is much better than 10k.

This dealership is also in AZ, so you could just come here and pick it up.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
Yeah, the poachers hurt the market as a whole. More unique cars like the GT3 RS and some Ferraris frequently have owners sign documents that they won't flip it within a certain amount of time.

aloha_from_bradley

Autocross Champion
I found a lot of people got their names on lists, including the MK8 R, and literally drove it straight into a garage and put it up for sale with a $10-15k markup...SCREW THAT! Likely going to be the same with the RS3

https://www.autotrader.ca/cars/volkswagen/golf r/?rcp=15&rcs=0&srt=4&yRng=2022,&prx=-1&loc=N2M 2B1&hprc=True&wcp=True&iosp=True&sts=Used&inMarket=advancedSearch

vs

fully spec'd out the door....$51,082 CDN

I agree with this. Really hurts.

Problem is, people are buying them, which is just as bad as poaching them to begin with.

MSH

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'20 M2 Competition
....So I'll be considering an RS3 motorswap. One hurdle is of course the CA smog. There NO WAY I'll be BARing or state ref'ing an rs3 swapped motor in the R. I don't think it's even possible, and this is due to the downpipe and cats (downpipe needs to be modified). Though I'm more than happen to be proven wrong. Anyway....

You might want to lob a call into the CARB technical team there in California and poke around/chat with them. As you indicated the downpipe is the toughest piece of the puzzle. I've been toying with doing the conversion as well (although this would be at least a yr down the road).
I called Alex at IMS and we spoke at length about it as I'm in Colorado and CO has adopted all the CARB standards. Alex told me he could get the stock RS3 DP to work and retain the cats for the inspection process here in CO. Kevin from RSR2 (i think he was RSR2) lives in Massachusetts and they are also a CARB state and he passed the inspection.

I called the Air Care tech team here in Colorado and told them all the specifics and as long as all the cats are retained and they are close to where the stock RS3 cats I would pass that portion. Here is the relevant portion of State of Cal Engine change guidelines on the exhaust....

Screen Shot 2022-05-22 at 6.42.33 PM.png

Link to CARB Engine Change Guidellines --- https://ww3.arb.ca.gov/msprog/after...-requirements-6-8-18-arb-website-download.pdf

ECNMY R

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
R, RS3, GTS 4.0
For high demand, low production cars, "deposit for MSRP" means you pay to stand at the back of a line while people pay to cut in front of you.

aloha_from_bradley

Autocross Champion
For high demand, low production cars, "deposit for MSRP" means you pay to stand at the back of a line while people pay to cut in front of you.

Not necessarily. I’ve got close ties with a VW dealership nearby. Friend of mine is in sales there. A MK8R came in and the guy who was supposed to buy it flaked. I had a convo with the sales manager, they sold it to the next person on the list even though the allocation was for a person who backed out. It should have been a car up for grabs.

Every dealership is different. Some are more honest than others. I would have bought the car if they would have sold it to me, but they felt an obligation to give it to someone that’d been waiting for awhile already. This particular dealer is also selling cars at MSRP.

The RS3 might be a slightly different convo, but I’ve been in contact with my local Audi dealership as well. I’m considering one myself, but Audi states that nothing is known at this time and the likely scenario comes in the form of cars being produced and just showing up to dealer lots. Seems the likelihood of custom orders is extremely low. Funny how the website shows all the different color options without a way to actually pick one. 1-1.5 years may be realistic.