GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Thinking bout an Golf R -> RS3. Anyone do this?

mmdb

Drag Racing Champion
What kind of interest are you getting on your deposit 🙃
:p 1k isn't that much especially if I was looking to build interest. Esp. now with the stock market heading towards a dive IMO.

For high demand, low production cars, "deposit for MSRP" means you pay to stand at the back of a line while people pay to cut in front of you.
Figure that's a possibility. Anything can happen nowadays. Though if anyone is interested here's the dealer I'll be working with...

https://www.audiatlanta.com/

I've been told 2022 allocations have been determined, however 2023 allocations are soon to open up in the coming weeks.

In contrast, all dealers that I've called here, Texas, MD, etc are asking 15-20k markups for 2022...

Last edited:

RudyH

Go Kart Champion
Just a lil' update. I put a deposit down (1k) to get an RS3 @ MSRP. Wait time... 1-1.5 years. Ouch.

In the meanwhile, what do I need to do a daza swap? :censored:
road trip and a one way plane ticket home. Book a return flight in 4-5 weeks, and bring a suitcase of money.
https://www.imsperformance.com/

IMO, if you also spring to get the Haldex tune and grab the donors SuperSport seats, I would skip on the 8Y RS3.
Personally, I am mostly interested in the 8Y's new rear diff, but beyond that I prefer the MK7/7.5 R (with a Daza swap). Even over the 8V RS3, as you are back to a Golf R vs S3 debate, and the Golf R was an easy win for me anyway.

I am giving the 8Y RS3 until June 2023 to be available in Canada...so I think same boat, 1 year wait to see if it even makes here...

mmdb

Drag Racing Champion
Thanks for the advice. I do have the haldex tune and rear wavetrac. Both of those really helped transform my car and I REALLY love driving it.

about the daza swap... I'd love to do it. The cost of the swap (labor) is just so damn high. If IMS was willing to do the wiring at a fraction of the full install I'd be on it 100%. But when I account for labor being 20k+ (5k more to swap manual to auto) it really becomes terribly irrational. Maybe if I can find someone local here in SoCal willing to do that I might pull the trigger AND pick up the 8y.

But the argument of 400hp pump gas 2.0 vs a 500hp pump gas 2.5 liter... is it worth dumping another 30k for that? The more I think of the tat the less I'm inclined to do the swap.

RudyH

Go Kart Champion
for IMS swap includes engine, transmission and rear diff (so your modified rear is gone), that's the bigger reason, it's not just wiring.

At the end of day, you trade in your Golf (here they are going for $40k sold privately), and buy a 8V RS3 (going for $65k on average), I mean you kinda are in the same boat. It's something in the back of my mind, but just waiting until June to see where the 8Y RS3 lands

aloha_from_bradley

Autocross Champion
for IMS swap includes engine, transmission and rear diff (so your modified rear is gone), that's the bigger reason, it's not just wiring.

At the end of day, you trade in your Golf (here they are going for $40k sold privately), and buy a 8V RS3 (going for $65k on average), I mean you kinda are in the same boat. It's something in the back of my mind, but just waiting until June to see where the 8Y RS3 lands

Depends on how that washes out. Do you own the R outright? I priced out a decently optioned RS3 on the website and it came to 65k. Also, TTL on the RS3 is going to kill. You’re talking 72k, maybe more.

I’m in this boat to a degree. I’m trying to decide whether or not I want to sell my R right now. Even with a 40k down payment (I own my R outright), I would have to finance as much as 35k depending on options. Go with the carbon fiber or ceramic brake package and the price goes through the roof.

Then comes the reliability, warranty, insurance, etc. convo. Better to have a new RS3 with a warranty and peace of mind? Or to have a Frankenstein swap that needs basically every module coded and a complete wiring overhaul to make it work properly. It would be a nightmare if something went wrong. You could essentially only bring it to one place, and they might not be local.

I'm pretty sure that keeping my R is the right choice at this point. No car payment, no hassle, etc. And a big turbo R is pretty damn fast. Close to a modded RS3. Just depends on how far you want to take the car.

Last edited:

mmdb

Drag Racing Champion
The more I look the rs3 8y the more I dig it. Though im still loving the R!

bout the swap... I'm in discussion with a local shop. I figure if I can cut down the price of it by half (20k with all golf r parts sold and some 8v stuff) I'd be up for it. 40k$ just doesn't make any since. Especially in this market. I guess I know my answer now :p

aloha_from_bradley

Autocross Champion
The more I look the rs3 8y the more I dig it. Though im still loving the R!

bout the swap... I'm in discussion with a local shop. I figure if I can cut down the price of it by half (20k with all golf r parts sold and some 8v stuff) I'd be up for it. 40k$ just doesn't make any since. Especially in this market. I guess I know my answer now :p

Question is, can we get the car?

8Y seems like a fantasy right now

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R

According to another member, you can by putting down a deposit and waiting over a year... So yeah, close to a fantasy.

MSH

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'20 M2 Competition
...bout the swap... I'm in discussion with a local shop. I figure if I can cut down the price of it by half (20k with all golf r parts sold and some 8v stuff) I'd be up for it. 40k$ just doesn't make any since. Especially in this market. I guess I know my answer now :p
You trust the shop on the wiring portion of the puzzle? Seems like by far the most complex part of the conversion. Looks like you are in SoCal? I'm sure Pacific German would/could tackle no problem seeing all the Audi conversions (Allroad/S4, etc) they have done in the past that are also CARB compliant, but I suspect that they would also be very $. Have to imagine there are others there that would tackle it.

mmdb

Drag Racing Champion

I figure I'd give it a 1.5 years. I'm not in a rush at the moment. I confident I'd get it eventually. I figure there's good reason Atlanta Audi is Audi's #1 USA dealer.

You trust the shop on the wiring portion of the puzzle? Seems like by far the most complex part of the conversion. Looks like you are in SoCal? I'm sure Pacific German would/could tackle no problem seeing all the Audi conversions (Allroad/S4, etc) they have done in the past that are also CARB compliant, but I suspect that they would also be very $. Have to imagine there are others there that would tackle it.
If I ever to get swapping in a RS3 motor I'll let you know. I hear good things about Pacific German, but they do charge an arm and a leg.

Mooseman

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2022 TT RS
I'm about to throw a deposit at a TT RS, I just want that 5 pot before it's gone for good.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.
I'm in 4th line for a rs3 at my audi dealer, but I know pretty much nothing about it. They don't have any allocations yet and they don't know if there will be any changes to pricing or options. There's no way for them to enter the order yet. Right now I'm thinking I don't want to take delivery of it until March at the earliest anyway. We'll see what happens.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
I'm in 4th line for a rs3 at my audi dealer, but I know pretty much nothing about it. They don't have any allocations yet and they don't know if there will be any changes to pricing or options. There's no way for them to enter the order yet. Right now I'm thinking I don't want to take delivery of it until March at the earliest anyway. We'll see what happens.
Wow, is Audi fancy enough to actually let you spec a car? Here I am just waiting for whatever scraps VW will get to successfully float across the Atlantic without catching on fire and sinking in 10k foot depths.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.
Wow, is Audi fancy enough to actually let you spec a car? Here I am just waiting for whatever scraps VW will get to successfully float across the Atlantic without catching on fire and sinking in 10k foot depths.
They let me go through the option list and select what I wanted. So far I've been told 2023s will be built according to orders, but 2022s were all specced by audi and then dealers got whatever they got. They didn't get much either for 2022. I talked to 3 dealers and all 3 of them made it sound like they were only getting a single 2022.